Day pack weight

Sako

FNG
Hi all, beating this death I know, another pack weight question. For a day in the field, not including the clothes on my back and my bino harness I am at 22.5lbs.

The pack is a Kuiu 3200. Includes frist aid kit at 17.7oz, Kuiu rain gear 16.16oz, Skre puffy jacket 12oz, emergency gear 31oz (survival tent, bag, chargable light, 550 cord, lighter, life straw, flint/mag), tripod 51oz with head, 15x56 Binos 43oz, 48oz of hydration and 16oz of food and 24oz for hunt gear such as head lamp, compass, havalon etc.. I can go with out something I guess but first aid and emergency overnight gear is important to me since I have already had a bad experience. Naturally, depending on the terrain, the tripod and 15s may not be needed.

Thoughts?

Hi,
Doesn't seem bad, might cut some weight on the first aid kit, not saying to leave it home, look over and find out what you NEED. I did that, and it cut weight.

The emergency kit and the first aid kit I promise have room to cutnweight. But before we getting to cutting - I’d prefer to add another 52 oz of water...

All you need for first aid is a cat tourniquet or a bungee cord, super glue, duck tape. Benedryl, and pain/anti inflammatory and an epipen if your that sort.

Probably no need for a life straw. I mean- you aren’t freeheeling the backcountry. Ditch the tent and the bag, possibly ditch a static/ glassing layer and add a woobie to replace all 3

I just made a bad mistake and spent a 23 degree night up in the selway with a light merino top a wool flannel and some BDU pants. Dehydrated and sleep deprived after 3 days in the road. I was absolutely fighting for survival all night and spent the entire next day after conducting 5 hours of exfill numb dumb dry and long past hungry boiling water on the jetboil and drinking hot electrolytes. My whole body would lock up with cramps up there and I would fall over when I was trying to do jumping jacks to stay warm- I’d roll off the knob I was on and not be able to find my way back up it in the dark- worried I was climbing up a different one. It was the most ****ed up night I’ve ever had that didn’t involve a lot of shooting amdnor indirect fire.
Was supposed to meet a buddy down at the trailhead and camp there that night- was supposed to be down 2 hours before sunset. Said **** it and didn’t bring the whole packing list. Like a cherry. Paid dearly.

I get the bad experience thing- but don’t let your survival gear get out of hand. Your trying to survive. Not stake a claim.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Doesn't seem too heavy overall. I heard it said that we all "Pack our Fears". If you really want to cut weight then you just have to figure out how to hunt with less gear and higher anxiety. I find it to be a learning process that evolves over time.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Where are you hunting and how far from roads and emergency services? If you are super concerned about safety an iPhone plus an InReach may give you an ease of mind...and must have if lost or injured? I would scrap the compass and include a GPS. You can see topo, etc plus do a lot more with a GPS! What's over the next hill...cliffs, a ranch house....you can't tell with a compass?

It obviously sounds like from past experience safety is a main concern. You may want to consider where you will use some of the items on your list (cord, straw)? Depending upon the weather and where I am hunting I adjust accordingly. A space blanket that weighs around 3 oz may suffice in 90% of situations rather than hauling around a bag and shelter? It is obviously wise in many areas to carry more safety equipment during the winter..layers of clothes, etc. Early season hunting when it's warm and dry you may not need much?

My preference is a lighter pair of 8 or 10x binos plus a spotter rather than 15x binos. A lot depends upon the country, style of hunting, and species you are hunting. I spend a lot of time field judging from long range...which isn't possible with 15x? If you are a meat hunter you can likely get by with a lighter pair of 8 or 10x binos and not have to lug around 15x plus a tripod?

Items that are important to me may be meaningless to you! I'm always searching for ways to lighten my pack rather than figuring out more items to haul around all day! Safety is always a big concern but there comes a point where some items may be essential and others meaningless. If you are hunting with a companion you can possibly split up essential safety items. There is always the possibility that your hunting buddy can get help so that in itself may eliminate a bunch of stuff. If you are hunting alone you may want to haul around more safety stuff? If you have an InReach you have help at the push of a few buttons!

If you are in great shape a 22 lb pack plus weapon, etc is relatively light....so everything on your list may be worth it to you? I know it sounds funky but I always keep in mind the boy scout motto "be prepared."

We are at the time of year where wet usually means snow. Drop the ran gear unless rain is called for. I'd follow Juan's advice and ditch the tent and such, maybe some of the carried layers and add a whoobie and a space blanket or light tarp if you feel you must have a water roof shelter option. As he said, survival is different then comfort though. It sucks hunting places where you have to carry 2 to 3 liters of water with you. Really adds to the pack weight quickly. So, if I was hunting a water rich environment, I'd carry one liter and, an appropriate filter for those sources. That's about all I can suggest not knowing the situation other then when day hunting a phone can be a great tool. eliminates camera, compass, gps, in reach, etc.....

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here’s mine for comparison. It doesn’t count food, water or bow but counts what’s worn. I would like to have a tripod for my binoculars that would add a bit of weight. I would also add another 23oz if I used my cordura bag & rain cover instead of the dry bag listed. I should add that list is for Colorado in late August to mid September between 8-11k.
https://lighterpack.com/r/bn2gsm

kjansen

FNG
You shouldn't have to go without emergency or survival gear. That's irresponsible.

Your 16 oz. of food could be broken down significantly. For example, you could dry noodles, ground beef and cheese, and make mac and cheese with just a pot and hot water. What kind of food do you bring with you? There's a good chance it can be dried and reconstituted quite deliciously.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
I have a different opinion on my day pack weight, I like luxuries and don't mind being 30-40lbs, at that weight I can go anywhere I want and don't really even feel the pack. So if the pack weight isn't slowing you down then why skimp? Once you get an animal usually if you are solo its 2 trips out or 1 heavy and then what's an extra 10lb IMO. On my 7-10 day trips its counting every gram of weight and no luxuries and is a giant suck fest a lot of time, guess maybe that's why when I day hunt I like more then not enough. Saying that Tho we should clarify that a person like myself at 230LBS that extra 10LBS is only 4% of my body weight.

Can't really help you on weight. My pack was too heavy this year. I was about 30lbs, maybe a little more with water.

I carry 3 liters of water which is 6.6lbs. My food is not dehydrated for day hunts so it is a bit heavier as well. I will likely adjust what I carry more for nutrition than weight. Both of those do get lighter as the day goes on so I don't worry about it.

My backup food can be better managed. I had way too much with me. If I get caught out over one night I won't starve to death and as such need to be more restrictive of the backup food.

I have some things I just haven't lightened up yet. Rain gear is probably close to 5lbs. Kill kit is rather heavy. First aid kit I did go through and just put enough in for 24-48 hours of doing. Its pretty light. Emergency shelter is a space blanket and extra layers. I leave the life straw at home and bring some tablets if things go south.

I do carry shooting tripod and trekking poles.

It all adds up. I also have a bino harness with glass, GPS, inreach on it.

I'll work on lightening up over the year. But, if I am uncomfortable on the mountain I am less likely to stick it out. Being comfortable helps me get through the challenges and keeps me on the mountain longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I’d rather have extra gear on a day pack cause shit happens and I don’t wanna get caught with my pants down I’m not talking about overloading on gear but a little extra food or water won’t kill you especially since it’s gonna be a day at most 2.

You’re right in line with what I carried counting my rifle strapped to my pack and 3L of water. Honestly, I don’t find a ton of difference between 20 and 25 lbs. I never felt my pack slowing me down or my shoulders hurting, even on 2 1/2 hour climbs.

What does help is carrying way too much of everyone else’s crap into camp because they ran out of room and “might need it”. My gear list for the pack in was around 42 lbs, I ended up carrying at least 10 more. Makes the day pack feel light in any case.

At some point, I got used to the idea that my pack had what I needed to hunt effectively and get out of a bad situation, and it weighs what it weighs. I don't put it on the scale anymore because it doesn't matter. It has the stuff I need so I'm going to carry it. I no longer mentally run through all the stuff I "could" take out on my way back to the truck after a long day.

Its nice peace of mind to have, if you can find it.

ScottinPA

WKR
This year's daypack weighed 27lbs. It included 3L water, 10x42 SLC's (don't use a bino harness), and Ruger Alaskan. A lot of weight in those 3 items. That said it was a Sept bowhunt in MT so temps weren't too bad - only needed light layers. I went thru it again when I came home and really couldn't see changing anything so it is what it is.

BluMtn

WKR
Never considered pack weight. I put in what I think I need and what the pack will hold. It weights what it weights. By the end of the day I wonder why my pack is so heavy, but the next day I strap it on and away I go again. And I am not a spring chicken anymore, but I am a comfortable chicken though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
By the end of the day I wonder why my pack is so heavy

For me, with half my pack weight in water........by the end of the day my pack is super lightweight. That's what keeps me drinking all day........knowing that every drink I take is lightening my pack.;)