Which Seek outside setup

My Saker will be here Friday. I'm loading it up immediately and gonna spend the rest of the night in it. If it works out I'll load it up even more and take her for a walk on Saturday or Sunday. I'll post up my thoughts about it!

Yea if anyone gets a chance please post some pictures today I’d like to see the layout of these bags

OP
O

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW here are a couple pics of me modeling my Fortress 6300....
3m3kUa9.jpg

E2Qanj4.jpg

Thanks for the photos, love seeing packs in action. I can see the 6300 being a great expedition pack, especially with the Merlin for organization like you have setup.
Or maybe that’s just the talon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the photos, love seeing packs in action. I can see the 6300 being a great expedition pack, especially with the Merlin for organization like you have setup.
Or maybe that’s just the talon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its just a talon...but the merlin is currently in the mail, I birthday present to myself that coincided with their Thanksgiving sale!

chindits

WKR
Well I went up to a broadwing for a late season hunt this year. I usually bow hunt and live a frugal backpack style with few luxuries, but I thought the extra space would be nice for a cold camp in sub zero weather.

I never maxed it out. The pass through upper pockets are perfect for rain gear and gaiters. The hip belt pouches I added and a talon are all I need for organization of small items.

I pack in reverse sequential order so that full pack zip is not needed and just adds to manufacturing costs and a few grams of useless weight.

I boned my elk out so I packed everything in tag bomb bags between the talon and main pack bag. I kept the inside of my packbag completely void of blood and hair.

It compresses perfectly and I might not go back to a smaller bag. If I could change anything I would get rid of that big old zipper and I would of made sure the new pack bags were totally compatible with their original pack frame harness. All the compression strap options with the talon has all the awkward stuff secure be it scope and tripod or head and horns.

Other than that a pretty rock solid piece of gear that doesn’t have me missing my old Alice pack one bit.

So I've spent the last couple days with my Saker.

Its a quality pack for sure. I really like the design. However, I cant seem to adjust it where the hip belt isn't killing my hips. I'm gonna give SO a call at some point this week and see what recommendations they have about adjustments. I took my time yesterday and tried different frame lengths, moved the hip belt attachments, etc and still, I'd walk a few feet with it and my hips are burning.

Don't let that detract from the fact that it seems to be made very well, and even if it doesn't end up working out for me I'd have no problem recommending it to anyone.

Btaylor

WKR
Mine does that when I get the belt too high and really cinched down. When I get the centerline of the belt centered on hips it is never an issue. That is with loads up to about 80#.

Mine does that when I get the belt too high and really cinched down. When I get the centerline of the belt centered on hips it is never an issue. That is with loads up to about 80#.

I have it with 60 pounds in it. I’ll try lowering it a bit when I get home. I’m also gonna call SO and see what they have to recommend. I’ve tried to mimic where my SG belt sits.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have it with 60 pounds in it. I’ll try lowering it a bit when I get home. I’m also gonna call SO and see what they have to recommend. I’ve tried to mimic where my SG belt sits.

A couple quick hints before contacting support:
-- Often these issues are pants belt underneath digging in
-- we recommend your belt is sized to go at least 1.5 inches past the front of your illiacs. A belt that is too small will often result in pressure on the hip fronts on heavy load
-- Our belts are designed to be centered over the illacs not above or below.

If you can snap a side profile pic in a mirror when contacting support it will help a lot identifying what is wrong

Thanks

A couple quick hints before contacting support:
-- Often these issues are pants belt underneath digging in
-- we recommend your belt is sized to go at least 1.5 inches past the front of your illiacs. A belt that is too small will often result in pressure on the hip fronts on heavy load
-- Our belts are designed to be centered over the illacs not above or below.

If you can snap a side profile pic in a mirror when contacting support it will help a lot identifying what is wrong

Thanks

And this is why I'd recommend you guys regardless of if it works out or not.

So I figured out the "hip" pain was just radiating from my back/butt area to my hips as I walked.

I was looking at the packs today and thinking "whats different about these packs? why isn't this working?"

The SG pack has slightly thicker padding on the hip belt and straps. Okay.
SG pack also has a lumbar pad... hey wait a minute!

So I loaded my SG pack up with the same weight and took off the lumbar pad... guess what? Same pain!

Looks like I'm begrudgingly ordering a lumbar pad.

edit: Just went and rigged it up with the lumbar pad from the stone glacier, same weight - carries amazing.

So my advice - if you use a lumbar pad with your current pack, just order the damn lumbar pad. I think it should be included, but it ain't my company, and it isn't.

Last edited:
The original belt did not need a lumbar Pad. The new belt is thinner so I needed one to keep the frame off my back/butt. I much prefer the original belt by a long shot.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So my advice - if you use a lumbar pad with your current pack, just order the damn lumbar pad. I think it should be included, but it ain't my company, and it isn't.

The packs carry better for some without a pad, better for others with a pad. I'm tall, slender, and flat backed and it's way better for me without. Curvy backs or really muscular builds typically like the pad.