Kifaru Sherman pocket / gun bearer

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m sure you could attach it there if you wanted. The webbing is about the same size as on the shoulder straps where I put mine I’m betting. As far as the fanny pack thing goes you could definitely configure it to how your wanting with all of their straps and ways to attach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
It looked to me like that would work. Was just thinking if it did it would still be easy to carry if you left a stand up over night and didnt want to leave gear in the tree on public ground.

On the clip, was sure if the molle strap was too thin to work. added bonus would be ability to run camera on a clip there on the pack. Out of the way hiking in and handy in the tree with the pocket hanging on a hook.

Done put that little bag on the Santa list.:cool:

XMP

FNG
This looks like a great addition to almost any Kifaru setup. My only wish is that there was a buttstock pocket going both directions. Then with shorter barreled rifles there wouldn't be any need to flip it down and it could still hold a rifle.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
7b74f3c0beb65693ce5e00dffc1a86a7.jpg

On the Crater. Has my camera batteries, 15’s and battery charger. I really really like this setup.

Just ordered one to replace my blaze Grab-It. For those that were interested in a blaze option - I will update on the "blue collar" solution I will test when it arrives.

I often use blaze orange face shields as a head bandanna when rifle hunting in hotter weather - cheap, breathable, non-snagging, and stretchy. It looks like one of those will stretch to slide perfectly over the pocket still allowing easy access to the zippers, can be easily slid off when archery hunting and put on when packing meat or rifle hunting (which is what I love about my blaze Grab-It). Full dual season (archery/rifle) function with just the addition of a $5 blaze orange face shield. I'll post a pic in a couple of weeks when pocket arrives.

(edit for typo)

Last edited:

rbljack

WKR
Another vote for a blaze orange add on option. When rifle hunting, when blaze orange is required, having a blaze option would be good. I used a beanie this year, but when my hoodie comes up the blaze is somewhat hidden. So for that, and when carrying a rack on my back, id like something in orange to highlight me a bit more from the back.

Loggerchas…..look forward to more info on that blue collar option you are talking about. Im looking for an easy and lightweight solution to get a blaze orange panel of some sort onto the back of my pack for safety during rifle seasons, or when carrying a rack/cape/meat etc on the pack.

Im pretty sure this is the item (the Sherman pack) that I saw in Aron and Franks Mule deer video around the 2 min mark. Its called Mule deer hunt 2018 on kifaru cast. Right after I saw the video...I posted a question about it in another thread when I first saw that unidentified item.

Last edited:
Another vote for a blaze orange add on option. When rifle hunting, when blaze orange is required, having a blaze option would be good. I used a beanie this year, but when my hoodie comes up the blaze is somewhat hidden. So for that, and when carrying a rack on my back, id like something in orange to highlight me a bit more from the back.

Loggerchas…..look forward to more info on that blue collar option you are talking about. Im looking for an easy and lightweight solution to get a blaze orange panel of some sort onto the back of my pack for safety during rifle seasons, or when carrying a rack/cape/meat etc on the pack.

Im pretty sure this is the item (the Sherman pack) that I saw in Aron and Franks Mule deer video around the 2 min mark. Its called Mule deer hunt 2018 on kifaru cast. Right after I saw the video...I posted a question about it in another thread when I first saw that unidentified item.

It is not a Kifaru, and it does not have pockets, but these panels are pretty neat and definitely fit the easy, lightweight categories.

Orange Aglow - Blaze Orange Hunting Vests

I use the orange aglow panels too. I like them. Easy to put anywhere you feel the need. You can put your orange on but after strapping a pack on, a lot of your orange is covered up. Like...half of it. So it’s nice to recoup that.

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
I just put an order in for one, I will take a run at it to see if this will for me, everything so far looks like this is a good addition to other pocket options.

Sherman arrived today. My "blue collar" option to make the Sherman suitable for my uses in rifle and muzzleloader hunts, where blaze visibility from the rear is necessary, works perfectly.

I use the face shields from SA Co. Outdoor Apparel & Face Shields | Arm Sleeves & Sun Protection Clothing all of the time for bandannas in hot hunting weather and for warmth around my neck in cooler months, bug filters when riding my street bike or dust filter for my face on my ATV.. They have constant specials like 8 for $20 or 5 for $15. With shipping, the face shields cost $5 each on average. They have two blaze options. The safety orange shield with the reflective stripe (which is much brighter blaze) is currently winning the game of hide and seek in my hunting gear so the regular blaze shield is shown in the pics below.

After attaching the Sherman just slide the shield over the top. It's elasticity holds it in place. Tug it down to access the zippers. Remove when you want full camo. Replace with another camo pattern shield for snow camo or whatever you desire. Cheap blaze option that makes the Sherman perfect for my uses, Blue collar redneckery at work.

tjVIxAw.jpg

DcMXLd5.jpg

OP1YMZ7.jpg

Last edited:

oldhorse

WKR
Excellent solution. Thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, just got back from a day hike with the Sherman Pocket as a compression panel on my 22Mag. Worked great

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
263f896a9cdbfb91dc2e4186315ae1b9.jpg

Sucks around a bow well. This was with k clips on the bottom so no expansion. It would be a little better with the expansion though.

bsnedeker

WKR
Does anyone know if the Sherman will attach to the apollo? I was thinking that could be a pretty tight day hunting setup.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shraggs

WKR
Jordan, do you have any other strap up higher to stabilize the bow, or is it rock solid with just the Sherman as you move?

Even with a grab it, I find that I like a strap around my bow since the top can move side to side.

John

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, do you have any other strap up higher to stabilize the bow, or is it rock solid with just the Sherman as you move?

Even with a grab it, I find that I like a strap around my bow since the top can move side to side.

John

That’s on the Crater pack so I did use one of back straps around the grip but I don’t think you need it. The straps off the top of the Sherman go around each side so it locks it in pretty good. I just did the grip strap for insurance

Shraggs

WKR
Thanks Jordan. I also feel better with a strap up higher too. But it seems this works as well as a grab it or possible better (tighter) depending on what’s in it.

rbljack

WKR
Has anyone tried using the Sherman as a lid? seems like it might work on a daily basis in place of a guide lid and then if you need to carry the rifle out, you could move it into the lower portion of the bag to hold the rifle. I have to get a lid for my wifes woodsman and was going to buy a guide lid. But as I looked this over again...im wondering if it would work better and be more versatile.

Jordan, when you have a moment, could you try it and let me know how it would work on your reckoning and maybe post a few pics on here plz? I have the reckoning, and the wife runs the woodsman (same layout basically minus slot pockets). If this would function as a lid and still allow access to the bottom of the center zip to access the main bag...this could be a great option instead of the guide lid.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Has anyone tried using the Sherman as a lid? seems like it might work on a daily basis in place of a guide lid and then if you need to carry the rifle out, you could move it into the lower portion of the bag to hold the rifle. I have to get a lid for my wifes woodsman and was going to buy a guide lid. But as I looked this over again...im wondering if it would work better and be more versatile.

Jordan, when you have a moment, could you try it and let me know how it would work on your reckoning and maybe post a few pics on here plz? I have the reckoning, and the wife runs the woodsman (same layout basically minus slot pockets). If this would function as a lid and still allow access to the bottom of the center zip to access the main bag...this could be a great option instead of the guide lid.

I connected it as a lid to start out with and changed it over because it didn't work as well with my bow attached as it does attached to the bottom.. if that made sense. I also like using a belt pocket on the fold over lid of the newer bags if I can. I'll get a photo for you with it used as a lid. I'll also get a video done soon to put on rokslides youtube.

tttoadman

WKR
Dont discount the std lid. Similalar to Jordan’s preference of running a pocket on the top of a fold over... I prefer the way the std lid actually acts as a lid to capture items unlike the new lids where they are a cover without any real “side” capture. I have been running the ste lid with a large belt pouch and most recently with a L&L #11 attached to the to of the lid. Love it because it never compresses the contents.