Mystery Ranch Guide Light Issue

Outwest

WKR
I recently decided to try out the MR Metcalf with the guide light frame. Prior to this I had been using the original krux frame from SG with no issue. Before anyone tells me I should have just stuck with SG, I obviously couldn't do that because I am sick, and I can't leave well enough alone.

A few days after receiving the pack, my fiance killed a buck on the back 40 so I had the chance to pack out half of a larger than average deer. I would estimate the entire load plus gear to be in the 75-85lb range.

Within the first 20 minutes of packing, I started feeling a lot of pressure on the lumbar portion of my spine. It was like the pack was transferring all of the weight to the small of my back instead of onto my hips. The hip belt stayed centered on the top of my hips and didn't ever slide down which was nice, but I never felt the load on my hips where it should be. I came away with sore and swollen spots on each of the vertebrae bones on my lumbar.

We had quite a climb out of the drainage and I have always had some trouble with back pain when gaining a lot of elevation, but this was not normal at all.

I sent off pictures of my pack fit to MR and was told it was fitted correctly.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice to give?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Were the straps from the lower rear corners of the frame tightened down against something on the face of the pack so they were in effect pulling those corners backwards? That makes a difference in how that pack fits me, otherwise the corners flex and the lumbar slides down while the pads stay on my hips.

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
I think I understand what you're saying pods. I spoke again with mystery ranch on the phone and they had me adjust the angle of the hipbelt via the velcro and buckles that attach it to the frame. I adjusted the hip belt to a slightly upward angle and it really took the pressure off my back.
Just a helpful tip to anyone else who might have this issue.

I had the same issue with mine and found that I still had about an inch of slack in the “load lifter” straps once I walked a bit with a heavy load.

Was able to cinch them up tighter and the pressure in my lumbar area went away.

I’m sure you’ve tried this, but it’s worth mentioning since I thought mine were “gorilla tight” after I had mounted my pack.

I think the load just compressed enough to get another inch pulled in on the straps.