Kifaru for tree stand hunting

turk870

FNG
Trying to decide which pack wold be best for tree stand hunting for me. Would be mostly thrown over one shoulder while carrying my climber then hung from tree or stand. but also worn as typical back pack at times. contents usually- knife,binos, saftey harness,bottle of water,orange vest,gloves,bennie, neck gaitor, rope, couple wool sweaters, gps, release and or ammo, screw in bow arm/holder, and few other small items.
Currently thinking urban ruck, door gunner, or antero

weaver

WKR
Any of those would work. I like kifaru as much as anyone but I wouldn't be spending that much for an eastern tree stand pack.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OP
T

turk870

FNG
Any of those would work. I like kifaru as much as anyone but I wouldn't be spending that much for an eastern tree stand pack.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Yea, Im just tired of busting zippers, and other issues with cheap packs, and gives me a chance to get another quality pack.

NYSKIER

WKR
I don't think I'd want to spend that much for an eastern pack either unless you are going in real deep and will need to quarter out a deer. The kifaru frame may make it more trouble than it's worth to carry the climber and the pack. If someone has something similar you should give it a try. That's just my two cents. I've got a kifaru pack for out west but I just use a normal pack out here.

He’ll buy once cry once. Might as well get one that’ll last you a long time. May be over kill but it’s better than it breaking

wesfromky

WKR
When I am using fixed stands / blinds and not carrying my insulation in, I use a tailgunner. When I need more room for insulation, or I am carrying my sticks / platform / saddle setup, I use a 22mag on a 22" frame. I really like both setups, and the 22mag setup lets me carry out a quartered out deer if I am hunting a ways from my truck. I used a woodsman on a 24" frame last year, and like the smaller setup much better. The new eastern ruck looks pretty cool as well, but it wasn't out when I get the 22mag.

The quality and durability is worth the extra $$ to me.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
What about the eastern ruck designed for eastern hunting? I have been using the apollo and it works really well. Just added the sherman pocket to it, I think its gonna be awesome. If you already have the frame the apollo isn't too pricey

ChrisAU

WKR
Been using the native to carry essentials and extra clothing, love it for that. Can use it on my frame if need be, but I've just been using the straps on it like a regular backpack. Its a lot bigger than 1100 CI, I know that. I can fit twice the stuff in it that I can in the 1200 ci guide lid.

Trial153

WKR
I keep looking a an eastern ruck and I just cant see the need for that much pack.
I have used my 14r on bunch of whitetail hunts and honestly it does everything I need and then some.

Of the ones you listed I would probably go with the antero. Having the grab handle sewn to the lid on these new packs doesn't make sense for hanging the bag in a tree imo.

Sodbuster

WKR
i have a couple Kifaru packs I had tried to use for Whitetail but they are just too overbuilt.

They are heavy because they are built to last, love them for the west, but they are also noisy.

I have a badlands coming in a softer material with plenty for room for cold clothes and essentials.

NEhunter

WKR
When I am using fixed stands / blinds and not carrying my insulation in, I use a tailgunner. When I need more room for insulation, or I am carrying my sticks / platform / saddle setup, I use a 22mag on a 22" frame. I really like both setups, and the 22mag setup lets me carry out a quartered out deer if I am hunting a ways from my truck. I used a woodsman on a 24" frame last year, and like the smaller setup much better. The new eastern ruck looks pretty cool as well, but it wasn't out when I get the 22mag.

The quality and durability is worth the extra $$ to me.

Completely agree. I have a 22 mag on 24” frame and use it for Most everything I do in Nebraska. Used it for the November rifle season and it let me carry all my normal gear plus bibs and jacket inside to the stand. Could quarter out a deer and carry it out or carry in a stand and sticks if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iahunter08

Lil-Rokslider
I have really become a fan of the tarryall fits all my insulation can strap my bow to tge back or a stand and sticks, carries like a dream. I would definately check into one.

N2TRKYS

WKR
There's no way I'd take a Kifaru pack up a tree with me. I've been using a Blacks Creek All American for over 10 years and love it. I can carry all my stuff inside it while lashing clothes to the top of it.

They are great packs, but as many have stated, wayyyyy overkill for whitetail stand hunts where you won't have to quarter them out and pack.

My main issue is all of the cordura nylon. When it gets cold, that stuff gets extra crinkley and makes way more noise than you want when sitting in a deer stand. Anytime you have to adjust the pack or reach in to grab something, hope that nothing is within 150 yards otherwise they most likely will hear you. Understandable that cordura is the toughest stuff around, but typically softer fabric will do just fine for tree stand hunting.

ncstewart

WKR
First off I use kifaru for certain whitetail setups. Ground setups and lock on with sticks I use cargo panel or couple different bags with meat shelf. Depends on exactly what I’m doing. That said I would not use one for what you described. You won’t like carrying a pack over one shoulder with a climber for sure. I would recommend getting a cheap backpack if you don’t have one and trying it out first.
What I personally found with summit climbers anyway is it is much easier to use the stand as the frame and just bungee a bag to the stand.

WJS23

WKR
My kifaru set up is a scout with med pocket it’s got room for all the stuff I need with me and I just strap my jacket to the out side and my climber sits over all of it comfortably. I think the new version is called the hellcat

So for what it is worth I have used an eberlestock dragon fly for the past several years with my climber. I strap my climber to the dragonfly to get away from the crowds a bit.

You can actually wear the pack as you climb and hang it off the stand pretty easy. I use a rope to hoist my bow.

Then I also have a suitable pack to haul out quartered deer.

Last year after an elk hunt I decided to purchase an exo 5500. I used that this year. It was awesome.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

cg2737

WKR
I really like Kifaru setups for hunting whitetail. I have used a few setups over the years and some work better than others. That being said I have not had any real problems with noise or weight of the packs.

For years I ran a cargo panel with 2 # 11 Lock and Loads on a 24" frame. My LW climber attached snuggly to the frame up against my back. I don't like setups where the stand hangs off the back of the pack. It hurst my back and it is unwieldy in the woods. I hike into where I am going drop the stand and climb the tree with my backpack on. If I need extra gear for long cold sits I put them in a dry bag sandwiched between the stand and cargo panel. I also ran the Apollo almost the same way with the stand on the meat shelf.

This year I picked up the Eastern Ruck and have really liked the setup. I had shoulder surgery in May so I have had very limited time this year to bow hunt. It has ample exterior pockets for gear, food, etc. The quiver pockets on the side are great for a nalgene, rock climbing harness, or quiver. The lid is not huge but it holds hats gloves or snacks with no problem. I like to put my snacks in the lid. The side zips are awesome for getting to gear in the bottom of your pack If I am hunting out of a stand that I have already put in place I don't run the frame. The pack rides great either way. With the frame you can run a climber just like I ran the above mentioned setups. I really like the sewn in grab it. I took my son out the other day rifle hunting and the gun bearer worked great even without the frame. I tried this way of running the pack with a Summit climber and I did not like it. The summits don't fold flat and seem to run better with a pack that rides between their rails.

I also just picked up a Tarryall in MC when they were in the Rhino Den. What a deal. I have not ran this pack yet but I messed around with loading all sorts of gear into it and was very impressed with it's layout.

Out of the three you mentioned I think I would go with the Antero. I had the Urban Ruck and sold it. It just was not rigid enough for my liking. If you are going on relative short hunts consider buying an EE and putting some pouches on it. You can run a Nalgene on the side, an organizer on the front and still have room for another pouch. Then you can just bungee the EE to the climber and pop it off, and climb with it on your back. That setup with the upgraded straps also makes a real nice EDC. Watch the classifieds you never know what will pop up. I said I would never pay the price for a Kifaru and now I own more than I probably need.

Bulldawg

WKR
I have used the Apollo, and the only thing that I like to use it for is putting a sandbag in. I have a 40 and 80 pounder that fit in there perfectly, but otherwise I do not like the bag for hunting with.