Frame Or Pack

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Planning on elk hunting next year. Sounds like packs or bags are sold separate from the frames correct?
Do you have to buy a bag for packing our elk or could you pack them out with just a frame?
Thanks!

Phaseolus

WKR
I guess it depends onf the company. You could pack out elk on a SO with just the frame using the meatshelf and straps. It would work ‘more better’ with a talon.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a nice kifaru and love it. I know plenty of guys that kill elk every year and use the old same pack frame for the last twenty years. No matter how much they ache after a pack out they still think I'm the crazy one for spending that much.
Ask yourself if you need a high end pack for a single or couple time trip it's ok if the answer is no. Maybe get something that sucks but works when you're successful you won't care as much. Then you can use that money to upgrade something your using daily.
It's different if it's on your back everyday loaded heavy then it's a necessary item.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
Realunlucky and others covered your question well! If you are just trying out elk hunting it may not be worth the investment of an expensive pack/frame. You may want to try a pack/bag off Craigslist, Ebay, or the classified section on this website to give it a try. I used an abused a large volume Arcteryx Bora 95 internal frame pack successfully for years. You can likely pick up a nearly new one for around $100.

If you are serious about elk hunting you'll find that is definitely worth the investment for a pack/frame capable of 100+ lb loads. If you want the very best you may want to look at Kifaru or Stone Glacier. Although my Arcteryx functioned well, I've benefited by a lighter pack that is slightly more comfortable. I went with Kifaru several years ago and have been happy ever since. Kifaru offers a bunch of bag, pocket, lid, and accessory options. Unfortunately Stone Glacier didn't come in camo which was the deal breaker for me. You may want to look at the overall weight and volume of packs before making a decision.

If it were me I would buy an oversized bag. You'll have plenty of room for gear plus an elk quarter. My preference is a bag that is capable of at least 6,000 cu in of gear volume and some sort of internal frame for 100+ lb loads. All you need to do is cinch down the bag tight with small loads and you're still ready to comfortably pack out a large elk hind quarter your first load. Most smaller packs with no frame or small bags are generally designed for low volume and 50 lb or less loads. They will be torture on your back, neck, and legs on steep, uneven terrain since they aren't designed for hefty bulk/weight. I started off elk hunting with an old school Cabelas guide bag and frame. It worked but was actually fairly dangerous. The last time I used it I was hauling out a bull hind quarter. The load shifted (pack frame went side-ways) when I was climbing over some rocks and I ended up-side-down like a spun over turtle! I learned my lesson that a frame that is 2 to 6" from your back isn't stable on sidehills and it's impossible to haul the load close to your center of gravity (your back). The load is constantly trying to shift away from your body while on sidehills and uneven terrain. All this twisting and turning is torcher!

The modern day internal frames are built with that in mind. The better packs have load lifters, padded straps and belts, quick drying and ultralight/ultra-tough materials that withstand use and abuse. Their frames generally fit like a glove to your particular body frame size. With that said it is well worth the investment if you plan on hunting a lot!

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Planning on elk hunting next year. Sounds like packs or bags are sold separate from the frames correct?
Do you have to buy a bag for packing our elk or could you pack them out with just a frame?
Thanks!

Most frames from the more popular brands you can pack out an elk with just the frame. You may have to purchase additional strapping to secure the quarters/boned meat/antlers to the frame though. If you're looking at getting into one of the higher end frames, I'd suggest calling their offices to chat about exactly what you'd need to purchase to do so. Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, and Seek Outside all have great reputations for solid products and outstanding customer service.

OP
Bucky

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all for the information as this is exactly what i was hoping to learn. I do only plan to hunt once every 3 or 4 years so if i can get a away with a deal on a used Kifaru or something of that nature I would be happy. I do see on the classifieds here some good deals however they go quick. Thank you for the help!

Btaylor

WKR
Thank you all for the information as this is exactly what i was hoping to learn. I do only plan to hunt once every 3 or 4 years so if i can get a away with a deal on a used Kifaru or something of that nature I would be happy. I do see on the classifieds here some good deals however they go quick. Thank you for the help!

I will go ahead and speculate that your every 3-4 year plans change after you go the first time. LOL Its crack I tell ya.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It depends. If you're planning on using it as a daypack as well, or to haul camp in with, then you're better off with an integrated pack and frame system. But if you're just looking for a frame to pack out meat, I'd get a dedicated frame that does that well.

I've tried Kifaru and EXO and Seek Outside and Stone Glacier, but 90% of the time I still use my Bullpac frame to haul heavy meat loads. I still use my SG on occasion especially if I've packed camp in. I still prefer the Bullpac for heavy loads.