Need a new travel backpack

MattB

WKR
I need to buy a new travel backpack to replace my Kifaru Late Season (3,400 c.i.). I want an internal frame so Kifaru no longer sells anything that works. Rather than just go to REI and buy a comparably sized Osprey, I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a similar pack made by a hunting-centric pack maker (looks like MR has a couple) or better yet perhaps a Rokslide sponsor.

How about the story why the LS needs to be replaced? Must be incredible since K gear is bulletproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBalash3

Lil-Rokslider
I have been all over the world with my 14’r as my primary piece of luggage. I have never had a problem fitting it into an overhead, including tiny ERJ-140’s. When traveling I will use the guide lid as my “laptop” bag. I attach it to the 14’r with k-clips and the compression kit at the bottom when I get off the plane. This works pretty slick since I am usually dragging a pelican case full of equipment as well and don’t want to worry about a 2’d suitcase. My schedule changes frequently and this allows me to be agile and never check a bag...Recently I have been interested in the sherman pocket, if a 14” laptop will fit I think it would be a sweet alternative to the guide lid.

Gotta love dual purpose gear!

Trial153

WKR
I have been all over the world with my 14’r as my primary piece of luggage. I have never had a problem fitting it into an overhead, including tiny ERJ-140’s. When traveling I will use the guide lid as my “laptop” bag. I attach it to the 14’r with k-clips and the compression kit at the bottom when I get off the plane. This works pretty slick since I am usually dragging a pelican case full of equipment as well and don’t want to worry about a 2’d suitcase. My schedule changes frequently and this allows me to be agile and never check a bag...Recently I have been interested in the sherman pocket, if a 14” laptop will fit I think it would be a sweet alternative to the guide lid.

Gotta love dual purpose gear!
I am going with the Sherman as well. Looks like it can replace my grab it on my 14r and add inside storage.

The Sherman pocket is real handy. But, it will not hold a 14 inch lap top inside it. However, if you aren't against using the Sherman as a compression bag, it would definitely hold it tight against the pack.

Jimss

WKR
I actually carried on my Kifaru EMR2 with duplex frame on this year's trip to Alaska on Alaska Air. I made sure the size was within their standards and it fit easily into the overheads. I had it loaded with around 60 lbs of gear...which saved on baggage charges.

I have been using the Stone Glacier Avail pack for a carry on bag. It is below the official size requirements of Alaska Airlines, which just changed the size limit (reduced it). Been liking it so far

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
M

MattB

WKR
A Tarryall could work, just 4x as much as some alternatives so not that palatable for how little I would use it. The 14er is too small.

My LS is still going strong, just need a dedicated travel bag so the LS can be my dedicated range bag. Thx

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got an Osprey Farpoint 40, but the 55 and 70 have detachable day packs so you can use them as your personal item. No questions asked warranty coverage on the Osprey gear as well. Shoulder straps with waist belt that zips into a hidden compartment, shoulder strap, and two handles make it a great travel bag. The main reason I got it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I Have a GoRuck GR2 Im about to list in the next few days. It is the #1 Travel backpack on the market. made of 1000d Cordura and its bombproof. Let me know if your interested via PM.

boom

WKR
I just did my first trip with the Mystery Ranch “mission rover”. I have 14 trips coming up for work and I needed a great pack that I can carry on a plane.

The pack is fantastic. I bought packing cubes from Amazon and now I can add organization to the mix. The fabric is tough like their regular packs. It packs so well! It’s fairly inexpensive at sub $200. If I had one complaint, the zippers all have the same color cordage. Until I fully familiarize myself, I keep pulling on the wrong zipper. I’m gonna replace the main zipper cord with a different color.

I did not try the computer pocket yet, but I will.

OP
M

MattB

WKR
Thanks for the ideas guys. That MR Mission Rover looks like the ticket. It is a bit smaller than I would like, but looks very functional.

boom

WKR
Thanks for the ideas guys. That MR Mission Rover looks like the ticket. It is a bit smaller than I would like, but looks very functional.

it is a great pack..Aesthetically, the new logo looks like ASS. i might see if i can pick at the threads and simply remove the thing.

i did a two week trip to Peru with my MR 2800ci, Dragon Slayer. i used a security bag to put it on a plane. with the security bag, i could strap gifts (wool stuff) to the outside and bring back lots. i even had my knee brace in it after i felt good enough to walk without it (slowly).

i KNOW i can do two to three weeks in the Mission Rover easy. bringing back gift, maybe not so good.

i have not worn the Mission Rover as a pack yet. i just carry it from airplane to rental car thusfar. bang for the buck, i felt it was unmatched.

MTSabo

WKR
+1 for the mission rover. I have been using mine every week for a couple months now. It is perfect for travel i couldnt be happier with it. I like being able to keep my running shoes in their own dedicated pocket and having a built in laundry bag.

boom

WKR
One criteria I had for my new travel pack; the shoulder straps need to tuck away. That way, no danger of them hanging up if I do have to check it as luggage. I’m not using it to haul long distances. My just walk the short distance from a water bus in Venice, Italy to my hotel where the cobblestone walks would render a roller bag a bad decision. The straps don’t need to be that comfy. No load lifters needed.

It’s for traveling. Vacation stuff.