Budget pack, ILBE VS Eberlestock

Alvin

FNG
Budget pack suggestions?

Hello
I'm just getting into mountain hunting, and I'm now looking for a pack suitable for multi-day hunts, preferably on the cheaper side.
I'm now looking at either getting a used ILBE gen 2 rucksack or a used Eberlestock Just One j34.

From what I've read, ILBE can be lightened to 8lbs by cutting off the excess Molle webbing, so the weight of difference is not that much between the 2 systems.
I'm 5'11'', will the load lifters on these two packs be adequate for my height?
The Eberlestock is significantly more expensive than the ILBE, I wonder if it's worth it to spend the extra for the Eberlestock?

Thanks!

Edit: Now looking at used Kifaru/MR, and advice on these?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

If you can afford the Eberlestock you can probably afford a used Kifaru/Stone Glacier frame. Strap a dry bag or duffel bag to the outside and it'll handle weight better than the ILBE or Eberlestock. That would also give you the option of upgrading bags later if this becomes a passion. It'll also hold resale value pretty well.

For the retail price of a J34, you could find a used/sale price Mystery Ranch Pintler/Metcalf and have a MUCH better pack.

Jmac603

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to score a brand new Mystery Ranch Glacier off the webs for $262 just last week. It is very similar to their Marshall pack. Just smaller and missing a few features. Still rated to carry a good amount of weight. Can usually score a 20% off coupon code for some of the outdoors sites.

Jason

bsnedeker

WKR
God I love this board...it never disappoints!

Alvin, as others have stated, if you aren't in a huge rush to get out and get a pack right now you should lurk in the classifieds for a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, MR, or an EXO. They pop up here all the time for not much more than you are looking to spend on the Eberlestock.

If you are looking to start out cheap to see if you are really into mountain hunting I would recommend you buy a relatively inexpensive, internal framed pack, and then buy a decent load hauling frame to keep in the truck in case you get an animal down. I have a buddy in MT who does it like this every year and thinks I'm absolutely crazy for the money I spent on my pack! He's killed more elk than me (1 vs 0!) so maybe he's onto something?

Personally, I have an ILBE pack I bought off fleabay years ago, I would never try to hunt elk in that monstrosity!

Welcome.

Hunting with a $$$ pack has it place but don’t focus on it too much.

ILBE would be heavy but could get the job done. A generation of marines will attest to its ability to haul a load.

What you get for more $$$ is lighter weight and more comfort.

A 20-year Dana designs Terraplane is a hell of a pack and it doesn’t look too much different than the current marshal.

If you look hard, there are some crazy good sales going on right now. I bet you could get a Metcalf with frame for $300

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
Thanks for your replies.
I think I'll be looking for a used MR or Kifaru Frame.
Just one question regarding the Kifaru, if I add a cargo panel to it and strap on a dry bag for hauling gear, will it be stable?

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
Also I found a used Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 for under $300us, seems to be a lightweight bag, how is that bag?

Wrench

WKR
The cargo panel can haul a load of jello securely.....that's it's job.

If you buy one, cut the stitching that makes the small pocket and it opens the whole panel up and creates a big storage area for zero weight penalty.

rbljack

WKR
I ran an eberlestock Blue Widow and the Dragonfly. Similar packs to the J34. I liked the layout of both packs, and picked them up pretty cheap. I needed 2 packs at once, and was on a budget. They served me well, but will mention a few things for ya. Im 5 8, and those packs did not have load lifter straps. The other thing I didnt like was having to undo the horizontal and vertical straps every time I wanted to get something out of the main bag. They were fine with about 30 pounds or less in them. But as the weight goes up, so did the soreness in my shoulders. I upgraded my pack to a Kifaru this year (duplex frame and reckoning). I can honestly say that the Kifaru set up is more comfortable with weight in it. I also like the center zip on the reckoning because I can into the main bag without having to undo everything. Granted, the whole set up is actually 1 pound heavier than my eberlestock pack was...and they are BOTH heavier than other options. But, I like how it carries weight....so heavy in, heavier out for me hopefully!! LOL. I haven't had my hands on one yet, but the exo 3500 pack/frame looks like a lightweight option that is quick to convert to meat carry mode. If you can afford the extra up front, spend it up front on a good pack. Kinda like the boots, don't skimp on either of those items!

keep your eye on the classifieds and you can piece together a kifaru duplex frame and a bag over time, and not break the bank all at once. I bought my kifaru frame and bag off the classified here, and have done that with other gear as well. People rotate in and out of gear on a constant basis trying new/different items.

But one last thing....I am not trying to say the eberlestock pack is junk by any means. The construction seemed pretty good actually, and stout. Its just not as comfortable to carry weight in it as the Kifaru is. If you find one for cheap, its a great option to get started IMO. I carried a bone in small mule deer buck out in one trip using the Dragonfly pack. The suck factor was that my shoulders were not at all happy about it! LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.
I think I'll be looking for a used MR or Kifaru Frame.
Just one question regarding the Kifaru, if I add a cargo panel to it and strap on a dry bag for hauling gear, will it be stable?

If you strap it down you will be fine. The pain in the ass factor gets high if you are in and out of your pack a lot.

If you plan to go kifaru then buying the frame now and pack later is a good option. If you are open to mystery ranch, you can get a used NICE frame for a good deal on eBay and pack bags are cheap as well.

I have the Eberlestock Just One. Took it on a 5 day canoe trip where I had to haul 70# loads on portage's sometimes with a canoe. It is very robust, tough, and quality well made.

That said, I'm looking for a better and lighter backpack for an upcoming 2- week hiking trip to Philmont New Mexico. Want something lighter and that carries a load better.

Do I want to go with a Kealty or NorthFace backpack for hiking or should I splurge into a frame pack from Kifaru or Mystery Ranch?

FYI, I'm 6'4" and 260#. I WILL get down below 240# before my next trip! Less is better of course.

Last edited:

JWP58

WKR
I used an ILBE my first yr living/hunting out west. It worked. Would probably still be working and I'd have a ton of cash in my pocket if I wouldve kept it.

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
For a used Kifaru Frame, what would be a good price to aim for?
Thanks!

LaHunter

WKR
Also I found a used Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 for under $300us, seems to be a lightweight bag, how is that bag?

The Kuiu Icon Pro pack system is a good setup. Light wt and will handle more wt than you will likely be able to haul. Mine has done well for me for several years. I have been running the 5200 bag with mine, but I just bought a 3200 I plan on using next year

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
The Kuiu Icon Pro pack system is a good setup. Light wt and will handle more wt than you will likely be able to haul. Mine has done well for me for several years. I have been running the 5200 bag with mine, but I just bought a 3200 I plan on using next year

Thanks for the info!

OP
A

Alvin

FNG
I used an ILBE my first yr living/hunting out west. It worked. Would probably still be working and I'd have a ton of cash in my pocket if I wouldve kept it.

Thanks for the reply. How does this pack hold up when carrying heavy loads(60lbs)? I know the comfort level is not gonna be close to a Kifaru, but is it doable?

blkntancj

FNG
I've packed elk out with an ILBE. Its not bad, not great, but not bad. It works OK as a day pack, but it is a bit floppy and you cant completely cinch it down if its emptyish. Not a bad pack for what you are looking at if you already have it or can pick it up cheap. If you have to spend much on it (more than $100) then i would follow the advice above and look at used higher quality packs.

scsc

Lil-Rokslider
I had an Eberlestock for hiking not hunting so results may be of little value to you. The pack was made vary well and very heavy duty, no issues. I am 6' and the bag carried even marginal weight awful with no lift. Very uncomfortable after several hours on the trail. I replaced it with a very similar looking model sizewise from Kifaru. There just is no comparison in comfort. Two different worlds. Good luck in your search.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'm using a Molle II frame with a Kifaru Cargo Panel. Cinches down tight, cheap, carries a load well enough, and cheap.