Mystery Ranch Metcalf users

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Hey ladies and gents after scouring this site for months I finally decided to join the party. I’m planning my first colorado archery elk trip for September 2019 roughly the 1st-20th some in there. I run a metcalf now mainly because I picked it up on sale and at the time was only using it for a daypack for whitetail and antelope and now looking to try archery elk. I’m looking at roughly a 10 day hunt between the 1st-20th with backpacking in hopefully 5-7 miles and I’m trying to avoid heading back to the truck until the hunt is over. From what I’ve gathered I know this pack may be a little small for a 10 day backpack hunt, but I’m curious to know if anyone has done so? I’m planning on going to SW colorado roughly in/around the Weminuche Wilderness area. I know a lot of this varies on what gear I run also. I’m trying to avoid buying another pack essentially. Anyon with experience with this pack past or present models feel free to chime in!

When I have needed more space, I have run a dry bag on the meat shelf. I have also loaded up the snow collar to make it taller and strapped my sleeping pad to the bottom.

Depends on how you pack but to me the big difference between 5 and 10 days is food and fuel. There may be some other items for comfort on a longer trip but most of it is consumable. So going in heavy with some extra rigged to the exterior of the pack isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Trial153

WKR
It can be done easy enough, the above post stated everything you need to know.

MMB1

FNG
As Desk Jockey stated use the meat shelf for extra room going in heavy. Just plan on needing that space packing an animal out:) Good Luck!

since the most notable addition for a ten day trip is more food. (generally i need all the same items for 2 days or 10 days except more food) just pack all your gear for your trip in the pack, make a food bag that you use in the overload and then you also have a nice bag that is easy to hang in a tree at the end of the trip you fill the bag with fresh wild meat right.... I hope it works that way for you.

TravisIN

WKR
since the most notable addition for a ten day trip is more food. (generally i need all the same items for 2 days or 10 days except more food) just pack all your gear for your trip in the pack, make a food bag that you use in the overload and then you also have a nice bag that is easy to hang in a tree at the end of the trip you fill the bag with fresh wild meat right.... I hope it works that way for you.

I did 7 in a metcalf. With a cheap synthetic bag that didn’t compress great and a few extras and redundancies. Everything fit but not mich extra room. Not sure I’d get three more days of food in there. Putting all your food on the meat shelf in a dry bag would be the way I would go. As mentioned not much will change gear wise other than food and maybe an extra battery pack, batteries and maybe another fuel canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
RemiR7

RemiR7

Lil-Rokslider
Two weeks out from my solo bivy elk hunt now and after weeks of finagling with gear and tonight finishing my food for the 10 day hunt. I was able to fit everything for this hunt in the main compartment plus the lid with my rain jacket tucked under the lid between the snow collar. Sitting around 46 lbs with water, gear, everything along with my glock with a 15 round mag. 10 day hunt is absolutely possible depending on your gear obviously out of this pack without having to use the meat shelf. Also, wasn’t trying to prove anyone wrong finally got everything dialed down and wanted to chime back in on this. Good luck this season to everyone.

Good sensible solution. Mountain House in , Elk out. Maybe eat some elk as well while in the backcountry. Sounds like an exciting trip.