Back to packing need bag advice.

It’s been a while sence I strapped on a big pack and walked, I’m getting myself ready to do it again. That’s leaves me needing a pack. Most of my hunting is not pack in, I hunt mostly on private land in NorCal, we have roads, quad trails and the vehicles have recovery winches (animal recovery more than vehicle recovery, a lot of small diameter cable) for years my shoulder and lack of reasonable recovery access has had me ignoring areas I have access to, I don’t want to do that any more. If I’m lucky the pack I get will get me into the back country 3-4 times a year including scouting, but will spend most of its time holding a day pack and meat sling hoping to need to pack something out of the depths of some of those canyons. First pack trip will hopefully be a 1-2 night scouting trip this spring.

Hopefully within the next few years I’ll take it to Alaska, New Zealand maybe Colorado or Montana.

I like the Mystery Ranch set up, I think nice frame w/lifters if I can find one and then either a full Pods system or Metcalf, meat shelf and daypack of some kind. Either way Pods is likely getting some of my money.

All that said there’s a lot more experience on this sight than I personally have. So sell me on or talk me out of it. Additional info that might help. I’m 35 6’-2~” slim @ about 200#, recovering from shoulder surgery (lebrum repair, partial tear 10 or so years ago that never healed) hoping that’s the beginning of the lessening of my pain. Before my shoulder/back really started to get to me I hiked a couple times a week with my hunting pack and had always been of the mentality that I’d rather carry something I might need and never use it than go super light and need stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Guide light with pintler or Metcalf
Or give a real long look at the popup28. I ran a nice frame with crew cab or Longbow before.

I’m 6”4 185
RotAtor cuff repair 12 months ago this week. Couldn’t do anything last fal it was terrible. I grinded our a black bear and a doe and took my son a few times but couldn’t do much at all if it involves lifting my arm away from
My side. Crappy. Anyway was back at it this year with a spike bull and a 4x mulie and now a couple whitey does. Good luck you’ll be pretty happy to have your life back I know

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Did you have a lift kit of any kind on your nice frame, did you want need it if you didn’t?
Do you feel the GL frame has enough lift?

Was your a full reattachement or partial?
It sucks I had the opener and 4 days at camp at the end of season this year and due to fear of pain I came home with tag soup.

Full. But it only took two anchors, but lots of bone removal. I’ve got a partial in my left that remains solid with PT.

I carried absolutely obscene loads with the NICE frame always without load lifters and was always happy with the way load would ride but obviously never happy with how it wouldn’t quite be off my shoulders. I would absolutely get the lift kit if you go NICE frame- but running with the guide light now- it’s way way better, and lighter though possibly not as bombproof- it’s still super stout and well fabricated.

I still can’t sleep on a normal pad, have to sleep on a super thick thermarest now and my shoulder still hurts daily but function is better than it’s been in 4 years

Yeah there was actually a shoulder surgery or maybe it was rotator cuff specific thread last year. I guess there were 3-4 of us going through it and at least another 15 that had had it done. Might be something in there that you want to hear. Hahaha

All I can add is you have to try then out to really know. Most everyone likes their pack. Some have experience with multiple.

Try on what you can. I like my exo as I felt the frame fit me better than MR. I was lucky I could try on Exo and MR here in town. Tried on a few others at local sportsmans shows.

Maybe try to connect with a member local that has some options to try on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
Blacktail_Packer
Those of you running MR stuff how many have different packs they use. Found a good deal on a Quad Cab and frame, wondering about tracking down the bigger bag later...