Literally "Cutting" Pack Weight

I've heard some references to this in some podcasts and curious if any of you have chopped up parts of your pack to cut weight?

I realize it's small things but it all adds up.
A couple things I was thinking are:

Metal zipper tabs and just use cordage(only one of these i can think of on reckoning so maybe not even worth it)

On kifaru guide lid: shoulder straps that are sown in and tucked into the velcro pouch. I dont ever see myself using that feature.

Good idea, terrible idea, suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I cut off all the metal zipper pulls and replaced them with BCY D loop material. I like that a lot better plus it's backup if I need it. Doesn't save much weight but looks cool and doesn't make the "jingly" sound lol. I have also thought about cutting the shoulder straps and back pocket off the guide lid but can't bring myself to do it just to save an ounce or two.

bsnedeker

WKR
I cut all the extra straps off the guide lid. I will never use them and I like to use that velcro pouch for my water bladder so all those straps get in the way of using that part of the lid.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I've heard some references to this in some podcasts and curious if any of you have chopped up parts of your pack to cut weight?

I realize it's small things but it all adds up.
A couple things I was thinking are:

Metal zipper tabs and just use cordage(only one of these i can think of on reckoning so maybe not even worth it)

On kifaru guide lid: shoulder straps that are sown in and tucked into the velcro pouch. I dont ever see myself using that feature.

Good idea, terrible idea, suggestions?

Yes and no.

So idk how you use your system or what you hunt etc. But I used my kifaru pack for the first time this fall and used my guide lid as my final approach bag. I unclipped it and tossed it on my back. Kept things like my kill kit, delorme, headlamp, puffy, phone skope, spare batteries, havalon, gloves, neck gaiter, and beanie in there. That way when I was a couple hundred feet of elevation away from my pack, I had everything I needed. Justy preference. But I won’t be cutting mine off!

I also used it for a fly fishing pack in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H
Yes and no.

So idk how you use your system or what you hunt etc. But I used my kifaru pack for the first time this fall and used my guide lid as my final approach bag. I unclipped it and tossed it on my back. Kept things like my kill kit, delorme, headlamp, puffy, phone skope, spare batteries, havalon, gloves, neck gaiter, and beanie in there. That way when I was a couple hundred feet of elevation away from my pack, I had everything I needed. Justy preference. But I won’t be cutting mine off!

I also used it for a fly fishing pack in the summer.

I mostly rifle hunt so I wouldnt see myself doing this.
If I planned on doing a backpacking bow hunt I could definately see that though.

After using my Kifaru pack set up for several trips I figured out what I wanted to keep and wanted to change. All the little changes add up for sure and my 26” bikini frame with medium belt, medium belt pouch, mini belt pouch, nalgene pocket, guide lid, custom lower cam k-clip strap, and AMR bag weighs 6#3oz. That’s a huge weight savings and more room than I could ever actually want/use.

Swapped all the pulls and drawstring for 2.5mm reflective cord. Removed the straps from my guide lid but left the second Velcro flap pocket. Both chamber pockets left out. Removed all the extra plastic loops and triangles from the frame. Trimmed off all the folded and sewn ends of the straps so they can move more freely thru the auto lock buckles.

I’m sure I’m missing a couple of other small mods but I’m super pleased with what I’ve done so far and haven’t missed any of it.

Disclaimer: DON’T cut anything off your pack or gear unless you’re 1000% sure. It will not grow back and might void any warranty work on the stuff later down the road.

OP
H
After using my Kifaru pack set up for several trips I figured out what I wanted to keep and wanted to change. All the little changes add up for sure and my 26” bikini frame with medium belt, medium belt pouch, mini belt pouch, nalgene pocket, guide lid, custom lower cam k-clip strap, and AMR bag weighs 6#3oz. That’s a huge weight savings and more room than I could ever actually want/use.

Swapped all the pulls and drawstring for 2.5mm reflective cord. Removed the straps from my guide lid but left the second Velcro flap pocket. Both chamber pockets left out. Removed all the extra plastic loops and triangles from the frame. Trimmed off all the folded and sewn ends of the straps so they can move more freely thru the auto lock buckles.

I’m sure I’m missing a couple of other small mods but I’m super pleased with what I’ve done so far and haven’t missed any of it.

Disclaimer: DON’T cut anything off your pack or gear unless you’re 1000% sure. It will not grow back and might void any warranty work on the stuff later down the road.

I had also thought about trimming some of the compression straps. Not all of them but a couple do seem like they have way more strap than you could use.

I'll have to look at the stuff you're talking about on the frame and consider the chamber pockets. Figured I may use the one in the guide lid. Inside the pack maybe not so much.

Any idea of total weight you saved?

I had also thought about trimming some of the compression straps. Not all of them but a couple do seem like they have way more strap than you could use.

I'll have to look at the stuff you're talking about on the frame and consider the chamber pockets. Figured I may use the one in the guide lid. Inside the pack maybe not so much.

Any idea of total weight you saved?

I’ll have to find my notes but it’s a hair over a pound or more.

For example: guide lid is listed as 11.5oz with chamber pocket on the website. Mine weighs 7oz (9oz with chamber pocket).

If I ever wanted to run it like a pack while on a trip I’d just pull a pair of the k-clip straps off the bottom of my AMR and use them as pack straps. No need for me to carry the “heavy” factory backpack straps always attached to the guide lid itself.

I’ll dig around tonight and see if I can find my notes or will weigh some stuff and compare it to website listed weights. Pretty sure I remember being close to 8# total weight before I removed stuff.

Easiest way to cut weight on a Kifaru pack is to buy a Stone Glacier.

Seriously though, if I was concerned about weight to the point that I was trimming fabric, I'd be looking at a whole different system instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

bsnedeker

WKR

Seriously though, if I was concerned about weight to the point that I was trimming fabric, I'd be looking at a whole different system instead of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Lol, some of us like to tinker! Good on you for always being able to buy products that are 100% perfect for you out of the box though!

OP
H

Like bsnedeker said, I like to tinker.

I've got plenty of time to mess with and try to perfect anything I can before my hunt and that is what I plan on doing.
Not saying the pack I got it too heavy, just looking at things I can do to make it even better for me.

That’s exactly what I did, and never looked back. Kifaru makes a great pack, as does Mystery Ranch, but my DT1 with a few add on’s weighed just over 9 lbs. That was almost twice as heavy as my SG with 7400 ci bag.

slick

WKR
I 2nd AK. Had a NICE frame and metcalf plus a lid, waist belt pockets and a couple other accessory pockets. Was close to 11lbs if I remember correctly. Sold it and went SG 7409 route. If you’re looking for something custom buy a frame and have pods build you a bag.

bsnedeker

WKR
I 2nd AK. Had a NICE frame and metcalf plus a lid, waist belt pockets and a couple other accessory pockets. Was close to 11lbs if I remember correctly. Sold it and went SG 7409 route. If you’re looking for something custom buy a frame and have pods build you a bag.

I'm looking for the toughest gear I can find....sorry to all you SG fanboys, but that means Kifaru and/or Mystery Ranch in my opinion. SG packs are great, but they are lighter for a reason. Looking at the two packs side by side you can't tell me that the material in a SG pack is going to hold up as well to years of abuse as a Kifaru will. I will gladly take the 2 extra pounds on my back for that degree of reliability. If I can make it a few ounces lighter by customizing it a bit to myself then I will do so.

Hope that helps you guys, some of you seem really confused!

OP
H
I'm looking for the toughest gear I can find....sorry to all you SG fanboys, but that means Kifaru and/or Mystery Ranch in my opinion. SG packs are great, but they are lighter for a reason. Looking at the two packs side by side you can't tell me that the material in a SG pack is going to hold up as well to years of abuse as a Kifaru will. I will gladly take the 2 extra pounds on my back for that degree of reliability. If I can make it a few ounces lighter by customizing it a bit to myself then I will do so.

Hope that helps you guys, some of you seem really confused!
I was going to say this but a little nicer haha.

I think a few of you are missing my point. I don't have an issue with the Kifaru weight and I chose it for a reason, that's not changing.

However, why would I not make minor improvements where I see I could by removing something I don't see as needed for myself?

^^^^well said fellas.

It’s not that Kifaru is “too heavy”. Why not make adjustments if you’re able and they’re functional to your specific needs?