Kifaru Nomad (1 or 2) setups

CO2130

WKR
Looking for some pics and info on nomad setups. I’ve found a thread or two but I’m curious to see what people run along with the nomads, specifically below them on the frame. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
Have an original Nomad and usually just use a Grab-it and a Longhunter or Guide lid.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
I have the gen 1 nomad, camp bag, xtl lid, and a grab it. I never ran any pockets under the nomad. I do sometimes put a medium and a large belt Pouch on the back panel for organization.

Shraggs

WKR
Also have a first generation nomad. Have the camp bag, xlt or long hunter lid and grab it. For under pack on frame I have the medium pod or the horizontal long pocket which fits great. I have the large side picket the I mounted to the back panel between wingers. Never liked the pouches there, the side pocket is a big long half circle and when filled with my bladder and heavier thing like stove, the wings layer nicely versus something squarish if that makes sense. All the items I’ve listed are no longer made, sadly. I also put two compression straps in the back panel to compress a load of meat separately so I didn’t have to compress the crap out of my clothing in the two main compartments. Small belt pouches for the waist belt. I also have an eberlesock pouch organizer that’s pretty handy to mount on any pack for organizing smaller stuff. Has straps and buckles and run this in under the wings for day hunt mode.

If I run the lid, camp bag, the side pocket between wings and the medium pouch I’d be over 10,000 cubic inches. Way more than I will ever use but I have option from pure day mode to expedition!

John

I have run both a gen I and gen 2 with a long pocket below the bag. It keeps my kill kit and other items. It is discontinued which is really unfortunate. It is the perfect bottom pocket to offset the Nomad. It fits perfectly below on a 26” frame and works on a 24” frame. I also keep a grab it 2 tucked inside the pocket for loads out.

I have both a camp bag and a OR dry bag. The 55L dry bag does everything the camp bag does but is lighter and waterproof. It has proved plenty durable.

Here is a picture of a gen I Nomad with grab it packing out a bull.

bb605590d4d3d5cc367006a9b67bd441.jpg

mcseal2

WKR
I have the 2 and run the Guide lid and the Grab It 2. Sometimes I remove the lid. If I need more room I run a 35L dry bag between the wings. I have a Frankenstud sling keeper on the RH shoulder strap and a Nalgene holder on the back of the left side of the hip belt.

Attachments

• DSCN0339.jpg
    DSCN0339.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 284
  • DSCN0288.jpg
    DSCN0288.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
OP
CO2130

CO2130

WKR
I appreciate everyone’s input. I was hoping to find a pocket setup for under the nomad since I bought this to mainly be a day pack. I’m sure if I like it I’ll run it as most have said, with some sort of lid, camp bag/dry bag, and a grab it. I will give the long pocket a try. Thanks guys.

mcseal2

WKR
I forgot to add I bought the compression strap kit for the moose hunt and added straps to every available loop to help contain the load better. I was glad I did. I don't know that I'd need them for smaller animals, might remove them for that.

MtnMuley

WKR
I run the original Nomad and a Gen 2 homebuild. Always use a Grab it II and sometimes the guide lid. When rifle hunting, I fasten in an Oregon Packworks scabbard with a large pocket fastened to the molle on the scabbard. Really like this set up, and can remove in seconds by using condor clips.

Shraggs

WKR
Btw if I were to run my nomad again I would swap out the grab it for the new Sherman.

Many didn’t like the access of the nomad 1
Cause it entails unstrapping. All packs need unbuckling or unzipping, to me the nomad suffered from no ability to to add small pouches for quick access. The Sherman solves this especially for the nomads.

Noted in my other post, by running a large side pocket between wings, when the wings are closed over that and the lid lowered over, I have access to both large zippered chambers with out undoing anything. As long as I leave straps loose in day hunt mode.

Nomad2, 26" lite frame: Struggled and experimented with several setups between the wings and bottom of the frame. The way it is running now is a Mountainsmith buttpack attached below the wings for small gear organization, Native under the wings against molle panel, OGL and Grab-It holding everything together. Worked dandy to get into 6 night backcountry elk camp and collapses to a very comfortable dayhunt pack out and about for regular day hunt ventures. Mountainsmith holds all of the little stuff I always have with me, Kill Kit in one wing, Nalgene in the other. Maps/TP/rain gear in the OGL and puffy/sweatshirt live inside the native.

jspradley

WKR
Currently running a Gen 1 nomad with belt pouches under it, I have a cargo net and just bought a camp bag from another rokslider, we'll see how that works. So far the Nomad is kind of a PITA for me to get into... I may release it back into the wild soon and go back to a single bag setup.

pack.jpg

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
I run the original Nomad on a 26 inch Bikini frame with a horizontal long pocket underneath the Nomad wings. The long pocket fits perfect under there and stores items that I do not need to access quickly or regularly. I also keep a grab-it stored underneath the wings to use when hauling out quarters. For about five years this has been an effective set-up for me.

Bj35gt

FNG
I have a nomad 2 with Sherman pocket, native for a lid when I need it
6c4b1637922af45d242ead5856a3779d.jpg
26eb30de1750a1db53d1d9e1b1ae6d4e.jpg
1347b0fcc4632d24562ab9e53a68656e.jpg
c305ff1801e3767defbbf468f9c6f1aa.jpg
22ae86fddc1215c862760afe912ed84b.jpg