Seek outside Goshawk

Tailz190

FNG
I’m about to pull the trigger on a SO Goshawk with the revolution frame and take advantage of the 20% off sale ! Was wondering if I could get some feedback on actual experiences - planning a CO archery elk trip 2019 - thinking this will do the trick - thanks for any feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have nothing to add but might end up with one as well. I've tried SG and kifaru so far and have kept the SG. I want to see if the SO feels any better than the SG when loaded to 85+lbs. That's really the most important thing to me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tailz190

FNG
Thanks for the feedback - I ended up going for it - I was a little worried about size but with lid and the base talon I’ll end up with 6100 ci which should be enough for a 5_7 day early archery hunt - worst case scenario can always use the load shelf with a dry sack for more room - can’t wait to start training with it!!

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
I picked one up during the Black Friday sales. Had a chance to tote it on an overnight trip with some extra gear. I'd have NO problem putting 5-7 days in the Goshawk. I picked up the mesh Talon and think it's a great concept, but do wish it was integrated. The lid is pretty neat, with the Xpac and the pull out pouch. Size on it is just right imo. Big enough to stash a decent amount of small items, while not being too big where things are "falling" to the edges. The attachment wouldn't be an issue if the Talon was integrated, with both strapping on, it's a little tedious working them around each other. I think I can work out a system where they are all a bit more independent of each other (compression, lid, & talon that is). Right now, everything is kinda interconnected and makes unstrapping one of those (compression/lid/talon) mean all are loose currently. I may need another set of short straps is all.

I also have nothing to add but might end up with one as well. I've tried SG and kifaru so far and have kept the SG. I want to see if the SO feels any better than the SG when loaded to 85+lbs. That's really the most important thing to me.

I was in the same position as you, had a SG with the original Krux frame for 3 or so years. Ordered a Saker a few weeks ago to try something different. So far I like my Saker, with one reservation - they sell the lumbar pad separately, and in my experience its absolutely required. The way the pack sits on my hips caused it to pinch or rub and made my butt/hip muscles hurt, even with little weight inside the pack.

I ended up ordering the pad separately this Monday, and because they elected to ship it First Class instead of Priority its been delayed for who knows how much longer. While this is mostly the post offices fault, I just struggle to understand why the lumbar pad isn't included with the pack in the first place. I get that some people find it more comfortable without and thats all fine... but Kifaru, SG, Exo, etc include it. Its removable if you want, but its included.

Other than that, it seems well made and I personally like the pack.

OP
T

Tailz190

FNG
I picked one up during the Black Friday sales. Had a chance to tote it on an overnight trip with some extra gear. I'd have NO problem putting 5-7 days in the Goshawk. I picked up the mesh Talon and think it's a great concept, but do wish it was integrated. The lid is pretty neat, with the Xpac and the pull out pouch. Size on it is just right imo. Big enough to stash a decent amount of small items, while not being too big where things are "falling" to the edges. The attachment wouldn't be an issue if the Talon was integrated, with both strapping on, it's a little tedious working them around each other. I think I can work out a system where they are all a bit more independent of each other (compression, lid, & talon that is). Right now, everything is kinda interconnected and makes unstrapping one of those (compression/lid/talon) mean all are loose currently. I may need another set of short straps is all.

That’s kinda what I noticed from the videos so I ordered an extra set of long straps with gatekeepers just to keep my options a little more open

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

What I do is to direct the top and bottom side compression straps to the Talon, direct the middle ones to the top lid. The geometry allows you to loosen the top lid straps a little and then just flip it over the pack and out of the way. It's much cleaner and faster that way.

The long straps come in handy for meat packing...that's really the only time I use them.

Remember that you can also hook more than one strap into the same web loop. Lots of options.

Regarding sizing on the Goshawk - I got 9 days of food into one with a top lid and Base Talon. It was a squeeze at that point though.

OP
T

Tailz190

FNG
Thanks for the insight rockchucker much appreciated !! Can’t wait for my delivery so I can start tinkering

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Rockchucker or Lee or Kevin...why no hydration port on the Goshawk? Just curious.

We don't include a port on the Goshawk because that would encourage people to use it. LOL

Seriously, the easy thing to do is take a short piece of paracord and hang your bladder from the tab loops on the frame panel. This places the bladder between the suspension and the packbag.

Two BIG advantages to this -

1. The bladder is much easier to get to for refills. Loosen two straps at top of packbag, lean bag back, you're at the bladder. A bladder inside the bag is harder to access.

2. Bladders all leak, sooner or later. If a bladder is inside the bag and leaks you've got a bad trip on your hands because all your gear is soaked. Put that same leaky bladder between the frame and packbag and it's not a big deal. Water will roll off the X-Pac packbag fabric and your gear stays dry.

Halleywood

Lil-Rokslider
We don't include a port on the Goshawk because that would encourage people to use it. LOL

Seriously, the easy thing to do is take a short piece of paracord and hang your bladder from the tab loops on the frame panel. This places the bladder between the suspension and the packbag.

Two BIG advantages to this -

1. The bladder is much easier to get to for refills. Loosen two straps at top of packbag, lean bag back, you're at the bladder. A bladder inside the bag is harder to access.

2. Bladders all leak, sooner or later. If a bladder is inside the bag and leaks you've got a bad trip on your hands because all your gear is soaked. Put that same leaky bladder between the frame and packbag and it's not a big deal. Water will roll off the X-Pac packbag fabric and your gear stays dry.

HA HA thanks for the reply. That makes sense to me.

Got my goshawk. Super quick shipping.
I like the pack itself. The frame seems to carry weight well. I dont like all the 3/4" straps and little gatekeepers they use. There just seems like there is a ton of them. And I dont like the dual hip belt buckles. I think I was supposed to get a single buckle that the 2 hip belt straps go into 1 but I didnt get that. I think someone messed up because i got an extra small buckle. There just seems to be excess straps everywhere. I'm also not crazy about the load shelf. I think it mostly has to do with little gatekeepers again.
Attaching the bag to the frame and loading the over load shelf was a bit of a chore. I couldn't imagine doing it at midnight on a cold mountain with something dead on the ground.
I'm almost wondering if getting a pack that is permanently attached to the frame is the way to go with this company ??
I like the bag itself alot though.
Just not the system together. Interestingly enough the bag would mate well with a Stone glacier frame with a bit of hardware changes.

I might keep the bag and send the frame back. Havent made my mind up. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts as your systems come in.
f5eb63b68faca52107585c6789f90179.jpg
3a0dc0c46116b7e8f3bca819017be989.jpg

Beckjhong

WKR
Have you watched the videos on the SO YouTube channel? They were super helpful for me. I actually have the opposite opinion after watching the videos, and feel that the pack is very easy to detach and access the load shelf (I have a fortress).

Rokwiia

WKR
Before I ordered my Revolution 6,300, I was convinced I'd hate the gatekeepers. I have a half dozen backpacks and no one else has them. Wrong! I absolutely love the gatekeeper system and now dislike using buckles. Straps are straps and will be there to connect two items whether you use a buckle or GK.

The first time I removed the bag completely from the frame was easy after having watching Kevin's video a few times before attempting to do so. Also, I found extending the bag from the frame and employing the shelf was also easy after having watched his video on how to do it. Try watching those videos as I think they will help a lot...they did for me.

I love the system they have and would never go back to buckles if given the option of GKs. I find the buckle system on McHale backpack more cumbersome to use. Kudos to SO for stepping up and using a new system which I believe makes how and where to connect things easier and more flexible.

I can give my 2 cents - with the caveat that I've only had my SO pack for about since months and it's only been on one big trip and some smaller day hunts...

Mine is the Fortress 6300. It is a strappy son of a gun too, especially nearly empty in day hunt mode. That said, my previous pack, a Kifaru with an Argali bag plus grab-it plus guide lid was just as strappy. I think it's the nature of the best for a pack that can run big and with stuff between the bag and from and still scrunch down to nothing for day mode. From my experience with the Kifaru I chose to not get the lid with the Fortress. Saved a couple straps there. Plus i have the Merlin Talon to give me a couple decent sized pockets.

I like the gatekeepers, and get a lot more proficient with them after using them for awhile. I can imagine they could be an SOB with a bit of swearing in very cold weather with cold hands. Could also see breaking one one in very cold weather. That said, haven't broke one yet and you can have several extras in your kit with about zero weight penalty.

I'm not familiar with the Goshawk, but if its similar to my Fortress, another thing you could experiment with is removing some of the straps. I'm pretty sure I could remove 4 from my pack and still have plenty of compression and attachment options for most circumstances. Could take off ones you don't need most of the time and put them in your kill kit for those times you're trying to pack out an awkward head or trying to pack out animals and camp at the same time.

Anyway, again I'm no expert but I'm very happy with mine especially with more use. That said there are a lot of good pack manufacturers out there right now and maybe this one won't end up best suiting you.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is how I do it .
First the frame attachment strap for the bag that I am not using I tie up behind it. (I could cut it off, but it serves no real purpose to do that .. and I do cycle through bags .. IE I may gift it to a kid who needs a pack or similar)
The Sling for the Load Shelf / Breakaway Carry - That almost always stays behind the bag and is only used for meat carry really
The upper bag to frame attachment I always wrap with a velcro keeper

I I am using Goshawk + Lid I run 3 rear face straps and two for the lid.
If I am using Goshawk and Talon or Merlin - I run 2 - 3 side compression straps plus bottom strapping. I have also just clipped talons on with carbiners as well. They align pretty well. You can actually finagle an attachment with a gatekeeper if desired.

I often carry an extra GK strap or two as I use them for a myriad of camp things (hanging things etc).

Kevin

Here is how I do it .
First the frame attachment strap for the bag that I am not using I tie up behind it. (I could cut it off, but it serves no real purpose to do that .. and I do cycle through bags .. IE I may gift it to a kid who needs a pack or similar)
The Sling for the Load Shelf / Breakaway Carry - That almost always stays behind the bag and is only used for meat carry really
The upper bag to frame attachment I always wrap with a velcro keeper

I I am using Goshawk + Lid I run 3 rear face straps and two for the lid.
If I am using Goshawk and Talon or Merlin - I run 2 - 3 side compression straps plus bottom strapping. I have also just clipped talons on with carbiners as well. They align pretty well. You can actually finagle an attachment with a gatekeeper if desired.

I often carry an extra GK strap or two as I use them for a myriad of camp things (hanging things etc).

Kevin

what kind of total pack weight (empty) are you getting with your setup?

OP
T

Tailz190

FNG
Got my goshawk. Super quick shipping.
I like the pack itself. The frame seems to carry weight well. I dont like all the 3/4" straps and little gatekeepers they use. There just seems like there is a ton of them. And I dont like the dual hip belt buckles. I think I was supposed to get a single buckle that the 2 hip belt straps go into 1 but I didnt get that. I think someone messed up because i got an extra small buckle. There just seems to be excess straps everywhere. I'm also not crazy about the load shelf. I think it mostly has to do with little gatekeepers again.
Attaching the bag to the frame and loading the over load shelf was a bit of a chore. I couldn't imagine doing it at midnight on a cold mountain with something dead on the ground.
I'm almost wondering if getting a pack that is permanently attached to the frame is the way to go with this company ??
I like the bag itself alot though.
Just not the system together. Interestingly enough the bag would mate well with a Stone glacier frame with a bit of hardware changes.

I might keep the bag and send the frame back. Havent made my mind up. I'd like to hear everyone else's thoughts as your systems come in.
f5eb63b68faca52107585c6789f90179.jpg
3a0dc0c46116b7e8f3bca819017be989.jpg

Just got mine yesterday and I agree with you it is very strappy but I think with watching videos to get ideas on how the system is designed to work it will get better but right I’m overwhelmed lol
And just like you I got one extra small buckle and not the large conversion buckle