outdoorsmans packs

Pike40

FNG
I am still in investigation mode for a new daypack. Anyone have any experience with Outdoormans packs? A lot of good choices I am finding and I have read many reviews and opinions on this site. I have mystery ranch packs nearby I can try on but the rest of this is guess, reputation and return policy. I can find very few reviews on the outdoorsman packs so I thought I would throw it out to the forum and see if there is any experience with them.

I’ve never owned one, but I am intrigued by their bag designs.

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why they don’t have load lifters on their packs though. That alone has kept me from considering them.

rm06

WKR
I’ve never owned one, but I am intrigued by their bag designs.

I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why they don’t have load lifters on their packs though. That alone has kept me from considering them.

Having owned meat haulers without load lifters has kept me from considering them as well

Mosby

WKR
I have the optics hunter. I really like the layout of the bag, pockets etc. I had an Elberstock pack also and after carrying meat in both I kept the Outdoorsman. My Stone Glacier is a nicer pack and carries meat better but I got the pack on sale before I knew what load lifters were and I figure I can get my money out of it if I manage the weight I put in it(under 50/60 lbs.). It isn't my primary pack but I do use it without major issues. Bag is well made and I can take it off the frame when helping someone with there meat or taking in a deer stand,ladders etc. Pretty versatile in some respects.

Last edited:

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
If the OP is looking for day pack mostly, and generally not carrying more than 30 pounds, I wouldn't consider the load lifters a huge deal. If it is your primary meat hauler also, then maybe the pack and frame become more important.

Are you looking at the Spur 50 or Palisade 90?
Looks like the popular Optics hunter is no longer available and is replaced by that Palisade pack. I really like the idea of the small "perimeter frame" spur 50 for a daypack. But now that the Palisade replaced the Optics hunter, and increased another $100, that puts you solidly in the price range of the Mystery Ranch day packs or even the Metcalf, or the smaller Exo pack.

I have the long range bag. Great bag, extremely well built and will last a long time. I like the external frame and the ability to put meat between bag and frame. Hauled out multiple caribou with mine. Bag is big enough for multi day hunts. I bought the extra pod/accessory attachment for longer 10 day hunts. Has tons of pockets which is great but also overwhelming at the same time. Simplicity sometimes is nice. The big padded pocket on top of bag is awesome for binos or other electronics.
Only downside to bag in my opinion is its heavier then most bags, and it would be nice to have a bigger zippered pocket on outside of bag to access contents of main compartment like some kifaru, exo, stone glacier bags. It has a large duffel style access on top but would be nice to have a larger zippered pocket going down center of bag to get things out of bag without taking everything out. Overall it's a wonderful bag. But I also have had my eye on the kifaru muskeg pack too.

OP
P

Pike40

FNG
Thank you for the replies everyone! I am looking primarily for a good daypack with first load out options. I have an aluminum frame meat hauler and I also use a cart when possible. Many of the areas I elk and deer hunt I can pack to a road( no access areas) and then use a cart to finish the trip, not always however. In the outdoorsman I am looking at the spur 50. I like several things about the bag layout but I have no way to see the bag and there just are no reviews to speak of on outdoorsman packs. So thank you for your input so far, it is helpful. At the price of the spur 50 I am at the same price as a mystery ranch popup 28 and the pintler on sale. I am probably at this point torn between the spur 50 and the pintler. I have looked at exo and stone glacier as well, again, I cant see them so it makes it hard to pull the trigger.