Stone Glacier Serac + Access Bag

Good Evening Roksliders -
I have a couple of questions for those that have or are familiar with Stone Glacier packs. I currently am running the Sky Talus 6900 on a X Curve Frame. I bought this as I was doing a fair amount of backpacking hunts. But now I'm rarely doing this, and am mainly just going out for the day. I don't really enjoy all the extra fabric (even though it does compress nicely), and was looking to downsize and make it a little easier to access stuff. I ordered the Serac 1700 in hopes that it would be a good day pack, but was also thinking about adding my access bag to the front of the Serac giving me about 2600 cu in.

SO... my first question is, what are everybody's thoughts on the Serac? The good, the bad, the ugly. Let me hear it. Please!!! I'm trying to decide if it is going to fit my needs, or if I should upsize to the 2600 avail or even the 3300 Solo.

Also, has anyone ever tried to add the access bag to the front? And if so, how did it work out? I was thinking most of the time I wouldn't take it, but for those longer days it might be a nice little addition to take a few more things.

Thanks guys in advance!!

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I run the same setup with Xcurve and SkyTalus. Its a beast of a bag. I went with the Solo 3300 because of its design and how easy access the bag is to get into. I would rather have a little more room then I think I may need them to not have enough. The old saying rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it comes into play here. I also own the Avail pack that is a really nice setup. I normally use that for my daypack and save the Solo for 2-3 days. the Avail is very comfortable and about perfect size when I know I won't need anymore room then that. I can run it on its own frame or slap the bag to the Xcurve if I want the versatility of packing something out on my frame. The Avail also works really when when Im biking.

slick

WKR
I run the Sky 7400 and have the 1700 Serac. I have utilized both at once, and each singly on an original Krux frame. I personally don’t think the 1700 Serac is a very good day pack itself. I’ve used it for work when I know I’m just hiking in, might be out for a few hours and come back. Personally if I was looking for a day only pack and didn’t want to compress a big bag I would go the Solo 3300 route.

I think that the Solo is small enough that when it compresses it’ll reduce the extra fabric you’re trying to get rid of from the larger bags, and still give you the space you need for those big days. Sort of the sweet spot. And if you ever decide to do a pack in weekend, it’s available. I think I just sold myself a solo

tttoadman

WKR
A center zip bag on top of another one seems like a pain if you don't have a lid. The only way I would put an access bag over a center zip is if i could rig it fixed on one side and buckled on the other so it can be swung quickly out of the way to access(pun) the main bag. A nice lid is where all my day stuff goes. By the time you screw with 2 bags, you may have the same weight as a single bigger bag.

slick

WKR
I 2nd Toad. Putting the Serac over the Sky it was a pain to get into the Sky, especially with a lid. Same principle would apply to the Serac + Access.

OP
passinggas33
It sounds like I might be a little disappointed with the Serac and it may be a little undersized for my intentions. I have a hard time letting go of some of my gear, even for just a day trip and truly want something a little over 2k of space. Sounds like stacking the access over the serac might be more obnoxious than good. As many have said, maybe I’m trying to convince myself to buy the Solo 3300. I’ll give SG a call tomorrow and hear what they have to say. Thanks again for all the advice guys and keep it coming!!

What the heck are you guys packing in for a 1 day hunt?
The serac would work fine for a days hunt. Food, water, kill kit and an extra layer. What else are you bringing for 1 day ?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
A 3L Platypus would take up just about half, if not more. Stack a kill kit in there, a rain jacket, food, maybe a water filter and it’s about stuffed. You can go along ways in a day.

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good Evening Roksliders -
I have a couple of questions for those that have or are familiar with Stone Glacier packs. I currently am running the Sky Talus 6900 on a X Curve Frame. I bought this as I was doing a fair amount of backpacking hunts. But now I'm rarely doing this, and am mainly just going out for the day. I don't really enjoy all the extra fabric (even though it does compress nicely), and was looking to downsize and make it a little easier to access stuff. I ordered the Serac 1700 in hopes that it would be a good day pack, but was also thinking about adding my access bag to the front of the Serac giving me about 2600 cu in.

SO... my first question is, what are everybody's thoughts on the Serac? The good, the bad, the ugly. Let me hear it. Please!!! I'm trying to decide if it is going to fit my needs, or if I should upsize to the 2600 avail or even the 3300 Solo.

Also, has anyone ever tried to add the access bag to the front? And if so, how did it work out? I was thinking most of the time I wouldn't take it, but for those longer days it might be a nice little addition to take a few more things.

Thanks guys in advance!!

I personally would run the Solo 3300. It is going to a lot easier to pack food and extra gear compared to the 1700 or the 1800. I use the 3300 on a day hunt as well an over night hunt. The access bag is great to have, but can be a pain when you need to get inside the actual pack it self.(1700 or 1800) Some guys love them some guys hate them. I think it is something you personally have to find out for you self. The access bag will be a better fit on the 3300 rather than putting it on the 1700 or the 1800.

Here's a serac and xcurve with a goshawk pack. They work really well together.
c4620d6dd4166d3172d9a14fcfd00506.jpg
44ba1f4f08b151f2caff49368acdc614.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
OP.. I have a Serac I’d be willing to borrow you for some time if you’d like so you can check it out and play around with it before purchasing.

OP
passinggas33
Thanks guys for all the info and to slick for the offer. I actually cancelled my Serac order and instead ordered my solo 3300 a few days ago and just got it today (thanks 1shot Gear). I’m going to give it a shot for my day pack. Then if I want to do just a simple overnight, add in my access bag to it. Hopefully it works out. Thanks again for all the advice from everybody! You all Rok!