Paradox 4800 & Seek Outside

sneek-ee

WKR
I know Kifaru gets a lot of notice here on rokslide, and for good reason.
I've got the sawtooth, had a megatarp, an original duplex, original timberlines, and had a bikini frame.

But, i know Seek Outside is a paying sponsor over here on rokslide, too!

I decided to try out the new Paradox frame and roll top pack this winter.
I got the 4800 in multicam (the vx33 is a little tougher than the vx21 fabric they explained and i tend to be hard on stuff at times)
When it arrived I was out of town on a business trip, so my wife pulled it out and threw it on. She called and asked me, "can we get me one of these packs?"
She has been using a Kifaru Express and Stone Glacier solo. I asked her why, she just said how well it fit to her body, how light it was, and how comfortable it was at first. Needless to say, when i got home to try it on, super comfortable, easiest and fastest pack i've had to adjust for proper fit.
The pack with 4800 roll top bag and base talon compression panel weighs in at 3 lbs 15 ounces, right under 4 lbs all set up to go. this has the side zipper access to get into the pack, too. (I have the standard frame, not the ultralight frame, and the vx33 multicam which weighs more than the vx21 fabric). Awesome real lightweight option for a pack!
i'm 6'4" and i can leave the extensions in at 28" which gives plenty of lift (this should be nice for heavier loads, we will see), and you can take them out to make it 24" if you want. I haven't cared to have the frame shorter yet, it hasn't bothered me being tall, so i've left that alone, but 24" would be nice if my wife uses it or someone shorter.
It packs loads awesome so far from the trips i've made this spring. I haven't had more than 60-65 lbs in it though.... so i can't tell you how it does under heavy loads yet. But, it'll be broke in soon enough. I have my spring bear tag, and then it will get used this fall during the hunts.
So time will tell and i'll see how it does with more use and abuse throughout the year.
I know seek outside does not get a lot of notice here on rokslide, but i thought i'd post this up for people out there open to other options that are out there and looking.

I've talked with Nathan (helped design the frame and packs for SO) and Kevin (owner of SO).
Both very helpful and friendly with anything you ask or need help with. Honest, tell you the good and bad of their products and leave it up to you.
Their prices are great on their products!

Kevin just hooked me up with a great deal today with a LBO (little bug out) shelter setup that I should get here in the next week or two. I am really looking forward to this shelter with all the different setup options it has and how lightweight it is for the space it provides.

I know some people on here have their packs and use their shelters, but i thought i'd just recognize them and their great little company!
They are top notch people to deal with and am excited to use more of their products this year!

Ramcam

Lil-Rokslider
picked up the frame recently and i am very pleased. Feels different than most packs really hugs the body and the belt is very comfortable.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't cared to have the frame shorter yet, it hasn't bothered me being tall, so i've left that alone, but 24" would be nice if my wife uses it or someone shorter.

I'm 6'6" and I cut 2" off the frame height to make it even lower for hunting. Still gives me a 26" frame for hauling, but I like a much lower pack and frame while I'm in hunt mode.

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Sneek-ee, good review and thanks for sharing. I too, am a Kifaru fan as I have a 2nd gen. Longhunter which is a very fine pack which I like a lot. After a lot of reading and analyzing, I recently ordered a 6-man tipi and stove package from Kevin at Seek Outside. He and Angie were kind enough to spent time with me, answering my questions and helping me through my final order. The purchase transaction was very pleasant. My hunting buddy and I will be using it this fall on an elk hunt in CO but, I will provide a review once I receive the tipi and stove and get some time with the package. Based on my limited experience with both companies, Kifaru and Seek Outside provide excellent service. Competition is good thing.

Last edited:

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't had more than 60-65 lbs in it though.... so i can't tell you how it does under heavy loads yet. But, it'll be broke in soon enough. I have my spring bear tag, and then it will get used this fall during the hunts.
So time will tell and i'll see how it does with more use and abuse throughout the year.

Hey sneek-ee,

What are your thoughts after using it a few times with some heavier loads? I see you harvested a couple nice animals there and probably had the opportunity to push the pack a little harder with more weight. Just wondering how your experience was with it? On almost all other reviews I've read, the Paradox Evo seems to handle real well with 100+ lb loads. You find this to be true yourself?

OP
S

sneek-ee

WKR
So, I have switched jobs this fall and moved two different times, had a baby in July, so its been difficult to get out as much as I usually do.
But, I've used the pack quite a bit. My wife now has a paradox, also. She tried mine on and used it on a trip and said it was so comfortable we got her one.

I use it with the 28" frame always, due to my height. I'm 6'4" 210 lbs. I've had the Duplex (gen1), original Timberline 1 and Bikini T1. Stone Glacier Solo. Kuiu Icon, And now the Paradox, which I used this past spring and fall exclusively.

I'll be using the Paradox the rest of the winter (cow elk), and for my future pack.

Super comfortable and the way it moves with you and conforms to your back is awesome. You have to try one on to see for yourself. The one piece belt design they have is spot on and amazing at distributing weight and not putting pressure or hot spots anywhere. The xpac fabric is the way to go. It is nice having a highly water resistant pack. The roll top design is awesome and convenient.

I had 3 packouts that were "heavy" this fall so far. Two trips for my bull boned out, and then a full deer load out. Im glad I had the paradox on the packouts.
Part of the first trip with the elk load I was feeling it on my shoulders and hips more than I thought I should, so i dropped the pack and pulled the meat out and readjusted the pack. I had the pack a little long for my torso, so i shortened it up (real fast and simple to do anywhere, another positive), and threw the meat back in and away I went. No more pain on my shoulders once I shortened it up a little. Just didnt have it adjusted quite right before with that amount of weight.
Shoulder lift is awesome with 28" frame!!! Cant beat it.

When it's not loaded its awesome, also. My pack weighs right at 4 lbs empty. Super lightweight and comfortable. The frame pivots and hugs your body close. So it feels awesome against your back. THe way the belt is designed and the "pivoting" frame I feel is why the pack feels so great.

If you like a pack that has a lot of pockets, then a paradox will be way different than your use to. Its simple, yet most functional with its design. I'm pretty hard on my stuff, it's held up perfect so far. We will see how well it does with more use. I have a lot of confidence in it.

We have 2 paradox packs in our house. If anyone ever wants to try one out and see it for them self, I'd be more than happy to let you borrow it.

KHNC

WKR
I have the same setup. Unaweep 4800 with Hydration Talon. Im a big fan of it so far! Kevin and Nathan are both great guys that go out of their way for customer service. View attachment 21781

Attachments

• paradoxmuley2014.jpg
    paradoxmuley2014.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 175
I am mainly a kifaru guy. But the seekoutside pack line just intrigues me. I have the divide ultralight pack and also an older evolution series 4900 pack back when it was stil called paradox packs. I absolutely love the divide, for me it's a great pack for backpacking scouting and backcountry flyfishing. It could be used for hunting but even with the horizon cross stay I think there would be significant barreling if off trail. Now the older paradox evolution is a step up from the divide has more lateral support although not a whole lot. The evolution is a very comfortable pack under light loads up to say 50 pounds or more. There is still barreling under heavy loads off trail. Looking at the new revolution frame it appears that the barreling issues have been addressed by the addition of 2 cross stays. Also the frame appears to have significantly more padding. I would love to hear from folks that have the new revolution frame as to how they like it under load

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Man I had all my pennies in a bag ready to go for a Duplex / reckoning and lid combo. Now there is this to nerd out on and do the whole pro/con run down.

Sneek-ee, how does this thing compare to your kifaru frames with meat hauling weight and big fatigue scenarios ? Have you compared it to the Duplex hunter or just the Bikini? I have heard the Bikini isn't as comfortable as the Duplex once you get over 60lb?

lol pack shopping is stressful.