Official Frankenpack Photo Thread

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Rex can you post some more pics of that Bikini/Tara setup??

Specifically just the frame with the tara on it. Did you have any issues attaching the tara?

I am wanting to do a setup like that with a pod or something below it. Use the tara for hydration/lunch and the pod for extra clothes/raingear/etc. I'll probably get the tara with the harness so I can use it as a pack when not attached.

I'm going on a guided horseback archery elk hunt and really want to be light/compact, but still have the ability to attach my bow. When I go on a backpack hunt I can just add a bigger bag to it like you did for camp/food.

Kinda like this except on a frame.

View attachment 32764

Thanks!!
Hey copedog sorry for the wait! Didn't see your post. As soon as I get home I'll post a few pics! I'll attempt to explain my reasoning as well lol

copedog

FNG
Thanks Rex.

I'm still rolling around ideas. Pics would be helpful. I'm really looking for a load shelf type pack like a Stone Glacier or Kifaru Tahr, but with the ability to use the bag as a stand alone pack. Interested to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
Copedog

Hey copedog sorry for the wait! Didn't see your post. As soon as I get home I'll post a few pics! I'll attempt to explain my reasoning as well lol

rexahayes

Lil-Rokslider
4e8a222dd567b4412fbe102768e67b10.jpg

Here's the bottom. I haven't tried it with any thing that would even come close to a pack out, but i have put a dog stand between the panel and frame. I just ordered a pair of bottoms, tops, and compression straps from hpg.

f556d87ff4369ace3a3dc95c3be212f1.jpg

This is the bottom compression strap. I saw a forum archive that suggested attaching the ghook to the panel, running the strap through a slider or buckle attached to the frame, then running the strap over the panel. I'll try to find the og post... Hard to explain lol it's tedious to attach, but works.

c1e373da9294e38f2b7f01159843f1f7.jpg

daf719fb74235ca7f67242ddfb035eea.jpg

I eventually wanna add a lid or maybe add a large pouch to the top for optics/rain gear/puffy.

Let me know if you need anything specific. I'll dm you.
Thanks Rex.

I'm still rolling around ideas. Pics would be helpful. I'm really looking for a load shelf type pack like a Stone Glacier or Kifaru Tahr, but with the ability to use the bag as a stand alone pack. Interested to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
Copedog

brownbear

FNG
A little history for this franken-pack... I was/am fortunate enough to have access to some family property where I can hunt white-tail and small game in an area that is VERY difficult to have access to private hunting areas. When I first began "managing" this area, it was a tangle of about a decade's worth of successional growth. Everything from crabapples, to wild grapevines, wild raspberries, and of course, poison ivy. I first started using game trails in the late spring/ early summer months and slowly started to establish wider, "human" access trails to likely stand locations and started clearing little circles here and there for small food plots of clover, vetch, and chicory. I can now have a duplex frame and can use a wheel barrow to bring the big stuff in, but those first few years were hard-work. Not having any money for proper gear, I fashioned this "pack frame" from scrap lumber in the shed. Looked at a few old-school trapper nelson frames for inspiration, but just kind of winged it. I used to use my old summit climber straps for the "suspension", but sold that off a few years ago and the straps went along with it. I had bags of fertilizer lashed to this, carried a milk crate with multiple bags of seed, gasoline, chainsaws, brush tools, etc. It now hangs in the shed from which it was born...View attachment 33414View attachment 33415

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
I've built a number of packs over the last few years, but the ones I've made this year for the Paradox frame and belt have been the most functional and thus my favorites.

https://bedrockandparadox.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/dsc08073.jpg

The above is ~3.5 pounds, 6000 cubic inches. Primary fabric is X-33, with 1000D Cordura reinforcements and a dual-pocket talon/compression panel of 600D poly plain weave (the only patterned blaze fabric I could find, actually very nice stuff). The best part is of course the fixed shoulder straps (lighter, simpler) at exactly the right height, which is the primary luxury of building stuff for yourself.

Wow!!!! Looks like a great pack! Do you have anymore photos? Ever peruse the DIY section? Your input would be welcome over there.

That is sweet stuckbuck!!! I'm really curious if any mods were needed as well. If the Kifaru Guide lid would go onto that thing easily, that'd be an awesome 7600 cubic inch setup.

stuckbuck

FNG
stuckbuck - did you have to do any mods to mount the SG on the Kifaru frame? I'm interested in doing this.

Nope, I just used 6 of the k clip straps. The iffy part is how I attached the load lifters. I believe it will work pretty well though.
I ran the straps at the back of the pack that attach to the shoulder straps on the krux frame through the plastic loops, then attached the k clip from the load lifters directly to them.
8c04490ae4e3cbdfbf596e6983c3d180.jpg

Squirrels

WKR
I have seen people put an Exo bag on a Kifaru frame. Was wondering if anybody know if you could get a Kifaru Reckoning on a Exo K2 frame? My plan is to remove the frame from the sleeve and stitch loops in the Exo like the Kifaru has, I am assuming of course the frame can be taken out and then put back in. If that will work the only thing that will be an issue is if the slot in the top of the Reckoning will fit over the top of the Exo frame. Anybody have any insight?

Not really a back country solution and I hate to even through this in here because its so low tech compared to these others creations. As mentioned above I bought this Kelty external frame pack off CL days before I left for my first CO DIY Elk hunt. I didn't' end up needing it to transport meat but on the truck ride back and forth to CO I got to thinking about other uses for it. As a whitetail hunter I love my hang-on and climber stands but the getting them back into the bush with their cheap webbing as backpack straps is really hard on the neck and shoulders.

My solution was stone cold simple, lash the stand on the frame and head out. I can't believe how well it stays put with just two bungee cords. It could be cleaned up a bit by taking the bag off the frame and putting some foam pipe insulating foam over the frame but it hasn't been necessary, there is no clanging or squeaks at all. Works well with a hang-on and sticks as it does with the climber shown in the photo.
View attachment 22030

Pretty specific use-case but I wanted to throw it out there for general consumption. These packs are cheap and available, might as well put them to use!

I have 30 year old kelty that i have modified, bunjied, duct taped, strapped and roped critters on for a long time. been a work horse.

Here is Kifaru Frame, E&E, Cargo panel, Exo Horn Hauler. Not attached but the lid I have is the MR day lid.

BBA34BAD-8B68-4651-9DB1-2F1ABB9A8AC6_zps7bnglamr.jpg

4528061C-A8E7-40E2-BBFA-6B956A47B1DD_zpsrlsinhoc.jpg

8EDEA7A6-34BF-4207-8F42-363C5828E729_zpsinv0aob6.jpg