How are you carrying your sidearm on your Kifaru?

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running a kct knockoff I made with some kydex I had left over from another project. I was worried about retention so I made a thumb break of sorts that goes over the end of the slide. Worked perfectly but I need to refine the size of the cuts for the slots to make it a bit tighter. I ended up putting a couple zip ties in just to be sure. https://goo.gl/photos/dhofnfcLbwGvPQDS9 the link should work but I can't seem to get the picture to show up in the post

Last edited:
OP
S

Steeliedrew

Lil-Rokslider
lam396,

Fantastic fab skills there! You could have fooled me if you said your purchased that from a manufacturer. Great looking holster! Care to shed some light on how someone can go about making something like that?

Drew

weedwacker42

Lil-Rokslider
Bbrown or anyone else running the KCT option...any problems with this thing digging in to your hip? I got one and really like the fit and run it just like bbrown. Mind you, I'm a novice at backpacking and only got my Kifaru hunting platform and AMR last fall and haven't had it out for any hunts or anything. I have just been using it for day hiking. Anyways, I went for a 6 mile hike today with about 40-50 pounds and used the KCT kydex and my Glock 20 for the first time. After a couple of miles in I could feel it digging into my hip through the belt. No damage done to the Kifaru, but was just a bit uncomfortable. Maybe I tighten the belt too tight, not sure? I am an admitted novice to the pack and simply follow the directions in the videos and forums when putting it on and tightening everything down. Just wondering if anyone else noticed the KCT digging in a bit?

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, I appreciate it. There are tons of tutorials out there but just making a few helps. I bought the kydex from knifekits.com as well as the eyelets. I've made a press out of some scrap plywood, 2x4 and a couple of door hinges. I use some 2" neoprene foam in the press and 3 squeeze bar clamps to tighten it down. Then just trim to shape with a saw, knife or dremel. I use a heat gun to make any fitting adjustment and to tune the retention.

lam396

Lil-Rokslider
Mine doesn't dig in that I can feel. And my belt gets tighten to the same spot regardless if the holster is on. Maybe you can reposition it?

connorwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Guys running the kct kydex holster, did you just order the standard molle link holster to run it with your kifaru packs?

bbrown

WKR
Bbrown or anyone else running the KCT option...any problems with this thing digging in to your hip?

It doesn't dig in to my hip but I can feel a bit of pressure when I really snug down the belt - not enough to cause any discomfort but enough to know its there.

Kotaman

WKR
If there is MOLLE on the belt, use this:
http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-SER...9932&sr=8-1&keywords=blackhawk+molle+platform

With pretty much any Blackhawk Serpa holster they make. It works slick as snot.

This is the molle system I use with my Black Hawk Serpa and concur that it is "slick as snot". Perfect for carrying my Glock G20. I also carry a cheap cross chest cordura holster (for when I don't have my pack on) I bought on ebay and it is pretty slick as well.

I looked at the KCT Molle holster and it looks great but already owned the Black Hawk and I like the idea of a "release" on the holster anyway.

Kotaman

WKR
This is the molle system I use with my Black Hawk Serpa and concur that it is "slick as snot". Perfect for carrying my Glock G20. I also carry a cheap cross chest cordura holster (for when I don't have my pack on) I bought on ebay and it is pretty slick as well.

I looked at the KCT Molle holster and it looks great but already owned the Black Hawk and I like the idea of a "release" on the holster anyway.

I tried the Jimmy Tarps adapter, but it wouldn't work with the Serpa. In fact, I don't know that it would work with many holsters as it is so narrow. I'm sure there are holsters out there that the adapter works fine on, but there are gonna be plenty that it doesn't work with.

rbljack

WKR
Old post that I wanted to tag. I like the KCT holster option behind the small belt pouch. Wondering how a medium belt pouch would work instead though. I have a glock 20, and have been looking for better carry options with the pack on.

Old thread but oh well. I have been trying to dial this in for a couple years and I wonder if I have found a good system for me.

I prefer to use my 10x binos on a simple x strap harness instead of an enclosed bino harness like AGC or Mikey Freak because I feel like I use my binos about 100x more often. But I like carrying some survival/useful hunting stuff in my harness.

I came across a product from arbor arms called the jedburg nutruck 2.0 I think? It's essentially a fanny pack (yeah, I know) but it's big enough for my desired survival/hunting gear that is normally in a bino harness, and it is designed to hold a pistol similar too appendix carry. Figure I could carry my Glock 20 on the belt of my pack and if I drop my pick simply put on the nutruck and put my 10mm in it and be good to go.
Any thoughts?

nphunter

WKR
Old thread but oh well. I have been trying to dial this in for a couple years and I wonder if I have found a good system for me.

I prefer to use my 10x binos on a simple x strap harness instead of an enclosed bino harness like AGC or Mikey Freak because I feel like I use my binos about 100x more often. But I like carrying some survival/useful hunting stuff in my harness.

I came across a product from arbor arms called the jedburg nutruck 2.0 I think? It's essentially a fanny pack (yeah, I know) but it's big enough for my desired survival/hunting gear that is normally in a bino harness, and it is designed to hold a pistol similar too appendix carry. Figure I could carry my Glock 20 on the belt of my pack and if I drop my pick simply put on the nutruck and put my 10mm in it and be good to go.
Any thoughts?
I carry my 40 in my med hip belt pocket while shed hunting and checking trail cam and it works great and the pistol stays clean. I normally don’t carry it if I’m packing my bow but sometimes I will when packing in to have at night. Those times I normally just put it in the pack and when I put my bow on the pack I swap it for the pistol on the hip. I use that pocket for my range finder when I don’t pack the pistol.

rbljack

WKR
Glad to see this one back up. I guess I will provide an update on what worked for me. I had a glock 20, and ended up with a 29 instead. I ordered the JC Custom Kydex holster and mounted it to my hip belt of the kifaru pack. I then mounted the medium belt pouch over it. You can see the same set up on that Bbrown did on the first page of this topic. That I where I got the idea to try it. I used it back in spring during turkey season. I then used it during my wife's mule deer hunt. If I drop my pack, I grab the glock and store it in the rear pocket of my AGC bino harness if I step away from the pack. This system has worked pretty good for me so far, and I'm liking it for the convenience of it. I just leave the kydex holster on the hip belt and don't bother ever taking it off.