Whats your Cargo Panel Pockets Setup?

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Curious how folks are running the cargo panel with a duplex or bikini frame.

I'm planning to run one this season with a 55L dry bag to carry food + clothes, but I want to add some pockets to the interior and exterior of the panel to create some organization.

I'm interested in what configuration of pockets people have mounted to their cargo panels, Kifaru or other (on the inside or on the molle) and how that's working out?

Pics would be really helpful too!

Thanks

Aron had a video on youtube that gave me some ideas. When I run mine, I have the guide lid with a two medium belt pouches on the inside. Then I usually have either two mediums or a side pocket on the outside when I'm running a spotter.
Its only limited by your imagination really.

I thought I'd like this set up, but didn't. Ran it for a trip to Montana and tried several different set ups with both pockets and dry bags. It mainly just frustrated me. I sold it as soon as I got back from that trip.

PJG

WKR
I thought I'd like this set up, but didn't. Ran it for a trip to Montana and tried several different set ups with both pockets and dry bags. It mainly just frustrated me. I sold it as soon as I got back from that trip.

Yep, exact same opinion with the one I had also. Had big plans for it, just didn't work out for me either.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I'm gonna use my cargo panel for meat hauling only. I'm only gonna use a medium pocket on the outside of mine.

I'm with Justin & PJG. I've bought and sold 3 or 4 cargo panels now. Such a great idea but when I have it on my frame it just doesn't work out the way I want. Much happier with a bag on my frame.

molon labe

E in CO

Lil-Rokslider
This is my 2nd season with a duplex and CP with pockets. 2 large belt pockets on the back of the CP, 2 medium belt pockets on inside of the CP, a long side pocket against the frame and then one of my various duffel bags for camp. On the belt run a mix of nalgene bottle holsters, pistol holsters, gun bearer or medium belt pockets depending on the type of trip it is. I've been really happy with it so far but no meat hauling last season. Maybe in Oct this year. I've always been in favor of one big bag with gear split into ditty bags so the transition to CP and pockets should have been easier than it was. It seems the pockets are either too big or to small for how I split and organize my gear. I'm over it now but its taken awhile so the CP and pockets is about ideal in my opinion now. It is extremely flexible and doesn't leave me wanting other set ups now that I've gotten use to it.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
I ran a CP with a Nomad last year with a dry bag. I sold the Nomad and running the CP with a spotter on the outside, large and medium on the inside, camp bag, and a guide lid this year. Only time will tell if I keep with it next year or get a bag. I'm most excited about the functionality of the guide lid with the CP. it rocks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

honer

FNG
I'm using mine mostly for training, Camp bag with sandbags or for cardio on steep hills I use a 7.5 gal water container for the trip up and then pour the water out for the trip down.
I plan on trying the CP+Camp bag with two #11 L&L's on the back with a large and med belt pouch on the inside, Bottle pouch by Pods8 and med belt pouch on the belt-top it off with a Guild lid. Sleep system in a stuff sack below the CP
Will run this set-up on a GII Duplex for the early season and see how I like it.

My choice was a Kifaru Hunting Platform Frame And Suspension in coyote w/ Cargo Panel, two small belt pouches and two large pouches (that attach to the Cargo Panel if/when needed), and a Guide Lid all in Mandrake. Also has a Gunbearer and hanging hydration bladder. About 13-16lbs (including water, kill kit, rainsuit and other stuff in pouches. I can fit all my spike camp gear and a week of meals in the 55L dry bag. Takes some doing to get the load just right w/ a dry bag but once ya do, it ain't too bad. Still like dropping it after hiking in.

TubbsTru

WKR
So far, I'm running two large belt pouches on the cargo panel. But, I am only using this for hauling my treestands. I think for any other situation, I would like an actual bag.

Side note: I love the olive drab with coyote brown combo.

cp.jpg

OP
napeequa55

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I can understand the guys that go with the bags. I was close to buying a Tahr.

I hunt in the PNW and need serious waterproofing for my gear, so everything has to go into dry bags inside a pack anyway - the pack itself becomes almost redundant at that point.

A 55L dry bag strapped to a Kelty Cache Hauler was my setup for most of last year. I also like keeping the meat separate from my gear instead of packed together in a bag.

The cargo panel offers so much load carrying flexibility - I have to at least give it a try.

I like to idea of pairing the CP with a guide lid. That's probably the route I'll end up going, and adding a few pockets. For now, it's on weight training duty until I figure out what works best.

Thanks everyone. Keep the feedback coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I can understand the guys that go with the bags. I was close to buying a Tahr.

I hunt in the PNW and need serious waterproofing for my gear, so everything has to go into dry bags inside a pack anyway - the pack itself becomes almost redundant at that point.

A 55L dry bag strapped to a Kelty Cache Hauler was my setup for most of last year. I also like keeping the meat separate from my gear instead of packed together in a bag.

The cargo panel offers so much load carrying flexibility - I have to at least give it a try.

I like to idea of pairing the CP with a guide lid. That's probably the route I'll end up going, and adding a few pockets. For now, it's on weight training duty until I figure out what works best.

Thanks everyone. Keep the feedback coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having tried the cargo panel route, I found it more trouble than its worth especially when it comes time to carry camp AND a load of meat compared to simply throwing it all in a packbag. EMR 2 just made loading and unloading camp and meat together so much faster than any other Kifaru pack setup I have used.

oldgoat

WKR
My wife ran CP with a bunch of pockets last year, but no lid, it worked, but it became quickly apparent a guide lid would be much handier for a lot of stuff and less pockets. She had pockets on inside and out and when she put her Dry Bag in, the pack really stuck out to the rear a long ways. So my suggestion is only put pockets on the outside molle points, leave the inside empty or minimal flatter pockets like Chamber pockets and utilize a guide lid, then when you put dry bag in, the CP isn't sticking out 2 foot to the rear!

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
So far, I'm running two large belt pouches on the cargo panel. But, I am only using this for hauling my treestands. I think for any other situation, I would like an actual bag.

Side note: I love the olive drab with coyote brown combo.

View attachment 39079

Tubs I am thinking about running my Lone Wolf the same way, how do you run the climbing sticks? What frame are you using?

kodiakfly

WKR
I run one for day or fly-in hunts where I'm not carrying camp. I carry a day's worth of stuff in thee medium or three large pockets on the back and two KU long pockets on the inside. I like it because I can carry my bow up the hill and have quick access to rain gear, puffy and whites and not have to unload anything and my bow is enclosed and secure and then throw a game bag in it for the haul out.

If I'm packing in, I carry an EMRII for the sake of the bag an easy of loading and carrying all the pieces.

92xj

WKR
After having mine for a month or more and 3 weekend trips with it. This is how I configured it and will keep it for a long time. It carries 50 pound bags great.
The outside is two large belt pouches.
Straps over these pouches hold my bow great when I need my hands.
These pouches hold game bags, knife, fire starting stuff, bug wipes, extra batteries, rope, calls, gloves, hat, tarp, etc.
Below the belt pouches is a small side pocket. This pocket houses all my first aid stuff, zip ties, tape and toilet paper.
Inside the CP mounted on the frame is a large side pocket. This holds a harness, rain gear, insulating layer, sleep stuff besides sleeping bag.
Mini belt pouch on left belt holds my phone and gps together.
Right side is water bottle. Large Side pocket inside can hold bladder if I decide to go that route, but for now, the bottle is working great.
24" frame.
I'm loving the set up and it took me a reconfiguration or two to get this set up.

ckossuth

Lil-Rokslider
After having mine for a month or more and 3 weekend trips with it. This is how I configured it and will keep it for a long time. It carries 50 pound bags great.
The outside is two large belt pouches.
Straps over these pouches hold my bow great when I need my hands.
These pouches hold game bags, knife, fire starting stuff, bug wipes, extra batteries, rope, calls, gloves, hat, tarp, etc.
Below the belt pouches is a small side pocket. This pocket houses all my first aid stuff, zip ties, tape and toilet paper.
Inside the CP mounted on the frame is a large side pocket. This holds a harness, rain gear, insulating layer, sleep stuff besides sleeping bag.
Mini belt pouch on left belt holds my phone and gps together.
Right side is water bottle. Large Side pocket inside can hold bladder if I decide to go that route, but for now, the bottle is working great.
24" frame.
I'm loving the set up and it took me a reconfiguration or two to get this set up.

That's super slick!!

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
That's the best looking set up I've seen yet. I current have a med side pocket and med pouch on the outside of my panel and a large pouch on the inside. Love the small side pocket on the bottom as a dedicated first aid kit. I just ordered a bear spray holster from FHF for my belt. I don't love the awkward space of the mini belt pouch next to the water bottle holder, just not sure how to best utilize it, I take an Android no GPS. I run a med belt pocket on other side.