Kifaru cargo pannel for 10-14 days

I feel like this question has been asked/addressed before, but I'm not finding any specific discussion about using the Cargo Panel for long hunts. I've got my gear/system down pretty good, and know I need (want) >7,000 cubic inches in total space from my pack. Can anyone speak to this size of pack and/or duration of hunt with a CP?

For example, I was thinking about a Camp Bag (4800 ci), guide lid (1200 ci), maybe a large side pocket on each side (1500 ci total). Once concern is the weight---such a system quickly gets >1# heavier than an argali, for example.

Thanks!

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
That would work fine, but I'd personally use 1 large side pocket on the outside of the CP and grab a medium pod for the bottom of the frame. Camp bag can go on top of it, and you stay streamlined and keep center of gravity close to your back. My personal set up is an EMR II with a Longhunter and a CP for any really odd shaped loads. YMMV

mtfallon

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning on doing this exact thing with my cargo panel/camp bag/guide lid set up and when I started messing around with it and expanding/contracting for moving camp vs day hunt I found it was way more hassle then it was worth! I'm going to keep the cargo panel as a day pack but bought an AMR from OneShot gear and love it. Less straps and you have a bag! If you're leaving the cargo panel set up one way for several days at a time I'm sure it would be great but if you might be packing up camp every other day I don't really see the benefit over the big bag. The AMR compresses down crazy small for its size as well. Just don't see the downside to a bag after playing with it both ways.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
I'm running the CP for the first time this year.

Large Side Pocket on the outside.
Long pocket horizontally on the outside.
Two large belt pouches on the inside.
A 55L OR dry bag compressed on the pack.
Guide lid over the top.

Lots of flexibility with this setup, will test it out this season but so far I'm liking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
freebird134
I'm running the CP for the first time this year.

Large Side Pocket on the outside.
Long pocket horizontally on the outside.
Two large belt pouches on the inside.
A 55L OR dry bag compressed on the pack.
Guide lid over the top.

Lots of flexibility with this setup, will test it out this season but so far I'm liking it.

Cool. Got any pics?

I was planning on doing this exact thing with my cargo panel/camp bag/guide lid set up and when I started messing around with it and expanding/contracting for moving camp vs day hunt I found it was way more hassle then it was worth! I'm going to keep the cargo panel as a day pack but bought an AMR from OneShot gear and love it. Less straps and you have a bag! If you're leaving the cargo panel set up one way for several days at a time I'm sure it would be great but if you might be packing up camp every other day I don't really see the benefit over the big bag. The AMR compresses down crazy small for its size as well. Just don't see the downside to a bag after playing with it both ways.
+1 to this. It's cool to have so many options to choose from, but I personally prefer to just throw a bag on the frame and go. By the time you add pockets and dry bags it's not even necessarily much lighter/cheaper than having one bag.

RCR

Lil-Rokslider

Ditto! I ran CP, Camp Bag, Guide Lid, plus a spotter and a couple pockets for CO elk. It was very functional, but more hassle that I want to deal with. I was eyeing the AMR, but the new pack has my interest to. Next year I'll be running a bag of some sort simply for the sake of simplicity.