Bought a Metcalf - Should I sell it?

CORidgeRunner

Lil-Rokslider
I personally like Kifaru for the simple fact of how versatile their systems are. I can buy one frame and a few different size bags and some accessories and be set for literally years and years. I’m not one that needs to change my set up every year. It helps that I live 1-1/2 hrs away from Kifaru HQ haha.

I’ll keep it short and sweet. I strongly considered the metcalf because it’s a good pack. But I passed because it is 2 lbs heavier than comparable packs from Seek Outside, exo, stone glacier and kifaru.

boom

WKR
My feelings mirror Kevin D’s. As I have gotten older, I care about the gear less. I’m trying to focus on the actual hunt.

I have total respect for the guys that can dissect their gear down to specific needs and details. Me? I look at the Kifaru accessory stuff and my head hurts. I owned a kifaru. Buying all the bits and pieces wasn’t for me. The cost added up crazy fast. That published tart weight also got fatter I tossed it all and looked for simplicity.

I ended up with the Metcalf. I just want to hunt. For animals. I don’t want to hunt for gear anymore. (Maybe I shouldn’t have started surf fishing then)

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
OakStuddedAcres and boom got it, the older I get I have been moving away from getting stuck on the gear. It all adds up, next thing you know you are stuck on trying gear every year. I am trying to keep things simple, I just want to enjoy my time out and not get stuck on gear.

Trial153

WKR
The answer (to me) boils down to what you personally like or want in a pack. I don't give a rat about modularity, pods, pockets, accessories, tinkering, fitting, customizing and endless so-forth. It's not right or wrong...just different. I want the pack that carries right for me. I like mine strong, comfortable, simple and dependable. I notice some companies doing endless design mods to the point they've got a new pack out every 6 months and new accessories for it. Guys have to have a new pack every year like a new bow, gun...the latest and greatest. If they enjoy that I say go for it and keep enjoying. It's not me though. I sold my Gen II Metcalf (came with lifter kit, etc) because the bag was bigger than I required and I made a deliberate decision to downsize. Having tried packs from almost every name brand mentioned on this site, I bought another Mystery Ranch pack because I like simplicity and excellence in hunting design. I also think MR nailed it with the Guide Light frame. I just killed and packed out all the meat/head from a mature Alaskan bull moose last week...solo...and my MR pack had me enjoying what is often drudgery.

This is me to a T. Call me lazy or whatever but I won’t even switch bags on the same frame. I just buy the whole pack and frame. I want a pack that is suited for the hunt I am going on. That’s reminds me I should list and sell a few packs as I have too many,