Bought a Metcalf - Should I sell it?

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
Last year, on my way back from a hunt in Montana I stopped by Mystery Ranch and bought a Gen 1 Metcalf. I thought it was a good idea at the time but now that they are going away from their original idea of modularity and making a turn towards "1 and done" pack systems, it's been frustrating with their accessories basically not existing anymore and their CS nicely telling me that they are going away from accessories and "there are plenty of options to pick from other manufacturers," I'm being forced to track down 3rd party items to make a configuration work. And let me tell you - most of those items that "would work" are being discontinued by those manufacturers, from what I'm finding so far ie/ pockets/pouches.

Being frustrated with this, I'm considering selling the pack, never used, and going the Kifaru route.

Any thoughts on this idea? I'd appreciate any input from guys with experience.

Thanks!

Olson

Lil-Rokslider
To me it sounds like you've already made up your mind! List it for sale and move on. I personally go through multiple packs from multiple companies a year because I enjoy trying new stuff. Most of it sells here on Rokslide, usually at a loss for me, but I don't mind that much. So many packs are compatible with the Kifaru frame from other companies like Exo and even Kuiu (might need some improvising) so your choices are many. Good luck man.

mrgreen

WKR
I completely agree with AZ-Bow.

If it helps, when I sold my MR Crew Cab and Komodo Dragon packs on Ebay, I was shocked at the high price they fetched.

strand

Lil-Rokslider
Magnum, I've been a MR user for the past 2 seasons... mostly happy with the bags/NICE frame but I'm always tweaking my system to get it right for specific uses. I have a Kifaru frame coming now, and if it fits and carries like I want I'll be moving away from MR for the reasons you mentioned above. I really wanted to stick with MR after getting so much money invested in their stuff, but their move towards the "1 and done" systems has been a big turn off. Every bag and nearly every accessory I've purchased for my MR gear has either been used or a third party product, simply because MR quit stocking certain accessories and now you can't buy bags without a frame/full system. Then I log on Kifaru's website and although there can be a wait and it comes at a cost, I can custom build exactly what I want with a Kifaru bag and accessories.

Dameon

WKR
Pods8, a member here on Rokslide, helped me out with the accessories I needed for my MR Marshall and Longbow packs. He made me a cargo panel, 3 hip belt pouches, and a Nalgene water bottle holder and they are all excellent quality with very fast turnaround. Right now, he only does accessories in coyote brown, Kryptek Highlander, or blaze orange, but send him a PM and he may be able to help you out with your accessory problem. If you are really keen on selling your MR Metcalf, don't let me talk you out of it as I really don't think you can go wrong with Kifaru, but there are other options.

OP
M

Magnum61

Lil-Rokslider
This is great and I really appreciate how fast you all have responded. I'm not 100% set on selling it yet because I still believe that MR would warrenty anything I needed and I still believe it's a very well built pack, no doubt.

To give you a sharper picture of where I am, I've hunted Mule Deer since I was 10 but only day hunts and this is my first attempt at Backpack hunting for them. From my profession, it's basically hammered in my head that the best way to go when you commit is to get the best gear you can so you can enjoy and focus on what matters most, rather than wrestling with gear.

When I bought the pack, they put 80lbs in the bag at MR and fitted it to me, which was great to have done. I thought it was comfortable - so I bought it. BUT I do have lower back issues from a break a long time ago and with the frustration of the accessories, everything I keep hearing when i'm reading through posts is "How comfortable the KIFARU is"...

So it's pretty simple, I'd like to be able to hike in, hunt for a few days and get out in good shape and maybe expand into the future. I'm not afraid to admit I'm a newb with this and that's why I joined this site, so I could shut up and learn.

Dameon- I will for sure track down Pods8, he sounds like a great person to know. Thank you

Strand- You hit it on the head. I see MR as great product but Kifaru just has a "wow" factor that's hard to ignore and with your experience you've talked about, it just reinforces my thoughts. Thanks

mrgreen- That's great to know!

AZ-Bow- i'd love to hear more on your experiences.

Thanks again!

thejones

WKR
I just had Pods8 make a load sling for my nice frame, and it is excellent, he does great work. With people like him around, the nice frame will be outfitted well with accessories.

I say keep it if you can, and try a kifaru and see what works better for you. I use some kifaru belt pockets on my nice frame. I even use my guide lid and load sling as a light weight day set-up. I'll have to post pics to show that one.

Brasco20

FNG
What was the price for the load sling?? I've been looking for one for a year. They offered that to me as an option a few years ago when I bought my pack and I thought I would get it later on if needed. Now with the new structure you can only get it with a bds nice frame.

The answer (to me) boils down to what you personally like or want in a pack. I don't give a rat about modularity, pods, pockets, accessories, tinkering, fitting, customizing and endless so-forth. It's not right or wrong...just different. I want the pack that carries right for me. I like mine strong, comfortable, simple and dependable. I notice some companies doing endless design mods to the point they've got a new pack out every 6 months and new accessories for it. Guys have to have a new pack every year like a new bow, gun...the latest and greatest. If they enjoy that I say go for it and keep enjoying. It's not me though. I sold my Gen II Metcalf (came with lifter kit, etc) because the bag was bigger than I required and I made a deliberate decision to downsize. Having tried packs from almost every name brand mentioned on this site, I bought another Mystery Ranch pack because I like simplicity and excellence in hunting design. I also think MR nailed it with the Guide Light frame. I just killed and packed out all the meat/head from a mature Alaskan bull moose last week...solo...and my MR pack had me enjoying what is often drudgery.

marktole

WKR
@thejones-what size kifaru pockets are you running on your belt? I've been looking at getting some and was thinking anything bigger than the small would be to big to go on the belt.

thejones

WKR
@marktole- I am running a small, and I have a mini I use. I have not tried any other sizes, but I thought the three bar slider pattern was all the same. If that is the case then all sizes should fit, with respect to the attachment spacing.

thejones

WKR
@Magnum61 - I apologize if I have derailed your thread. My intention was to show the versatility of the NICE frame, and help with your initial question.

marktole

WKR
@thejones - Thank you! When I said to big I meant like it would be obnoxiously large for a pouch on the belt, I believe you are correct on them all having the same three bar pattern.

BCsteve

WKR
The answer (to me) boils down to what you personally like or want in a pack. I don't give a rat about modularity, pods, pockets, accessories, tinkering, fitting, customizing and endless so-forth. It's not right or wrong...just different. I want the pack that carries right for me. I like mine strong, comfortable, simple and dependable. I notice some companies doing endless design mods to the point they've got a new pack out every 6 months and new accessories for it. Guys have to have a new pack every year like a new bow, gun...the latest and greatest. If they enjoy that I say go for it and keep enjoying. It's not me though. I sold my Gen II Metcalf (came with lifter kit, etc) because the bag was bigger than I required and I made a deliberate decision to downsize. Having tried packs from almost every name brand mentioned on this site, I bought another Mystery Ranch pack because I like simplicity and excellence in hunting design. I also think MR nailed it with the Guide Light frame. I just killed and packed out all the meat/head from a mature Alaskan bull moose last week...solo...and my MR pack had me enjoying what is often drudgery.

What bag are you using?

Biggs300

Lil-Rokslider
Backpack manufacturers continually change their designs, features and models to accommodate every imaginable backpacking need. We would have to buy several new packs every year to keep up with all the new bells and whistles....most of which will probably be obsolete next year when their models are introduced. If the Gen 1 Metcalfe meets meets a need that you have; I'd keep it. For me at least, the "one and done" pack is pretty much hype. I'm probably not going to sell my Gen 2 Kifaru Longhunter or my Eberlestock J34 "JUST ONE" pack anytime soon. Both packs were going to be the last pack I would need for my hunting needs. I have bought my last pack, a very simple daypack earlier this year and I no long care whether I have the newest features as long as my packs do what I need them to do.