New Stone Glacier Avail 2200

btg108

FNG
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they just about used up the available length adjustment to get a proper torso fit? I only measure 18.5" and have the shoulder straps just about as high as they go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it just me or does anyone else feel like they just about used up the available length adjustment to get a proper torso fit? I only measure 18.5" and have the shoulder straps just about as high as they go.

I have mine pretty high too (but have a 20-ish torso); this pack isn't setup like their external frames where you have load lifters positioned high, more like a traditional internal frame

MT_Wyatt

WKR

I'm about the opposite, I have an 18" torso and I almost bottom out the SG shoulder straps. I have a little more room on the X-curve frame compared with the Krux though. On the Avail, I'm pretty low.

btg108

FNG
The Guide Lid's top buckles are spread a bit wider than the stabilizer straps on the Avail, but close enough that they could be used there.

There are no extra straps on the Avail near the lower buckles, but you could easily thread your own strap end in to connect to the Guide Lid's lower buckles.

It's not real pretty, and it blocks the Avail's zippers - but it could work.

We don't care about color match, do we?

btg108

FNG
Also the Kifaru Escape & Evade clips right onto the back like it was designed for that

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
had the Avail out last weekend, 16 mile snowshoe trip- carried like a dream and big enough to hold enough kit for an unexpected night out
Availpack_zpsbadhorhy.jpg

makingtracks_zps8vpdve7i.jpg

Car7x

WKR
Looks like a great setup; wavering between this and the MR Pintler. I can't tell from my research - does anyone know if the Avail and X curve straps and waistbelt are interchangeable? To the degree that one only needs one set on a trip? The review, vids and pix I've seen don't make that clear. Seems smart, and if so it would be a great option to only have to purchase one set for both configurations. Looks like a killer system but I'd sure like to walk it down a bit from $650!

Looks like a great setup; wavering between this and the MR Pintler. I can't tell from my research - does anyone know if the Avail and X curve straps and waistbelt are interchangeable? To the degree that one only needs one set on a trip? The review, vids and pix I've seen don't make that clear. Seems smart, and if so it would be a great option to only have to purchase one set for both configurations. Looks like a killer system but I'd sure like to walk it down a bit from $650!

I believe the shoulder straps are interchangeable, but the waist belt is not.

sapinid

FNG
I take my bags overseas and need to be able to use it as a carry on. The avail 2200 really interests me, however would like to know if the internal frame bends from putting 60lbs - 80 lbs in it? I will not be using any of the attachable frames because that means i cannot carry it on. I hike in the jungle, and carry rice etc with me, don't need a bulky bag, just a small bag that carries a lot of weight. Any suggestions?

Kotaman

WKR
I take my bags overseas and need to be able to use it as a carry on. The avail 2200 really interests me, however would like to know if the internal frame bends from putting 60lbs - 80 lbs in it? I will not be using any of the attachable frames because that means i cannot carry it on. I hike in the jungle, and carry rice etc with me, don't need a bulky bag, just a small bag that carries a lot of weight. Any suggestions?

Call Stone Glacier...Their support is awesome.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Avail is an internal frame pack that carries up to 35-40 lbs pretty nicely; double that weight and if you're carrying it more than a 100 yards and it will suck, suck bad

if you're regularly packing that much weight, consider another pack ( or mount the Avail on one of their hunting frames)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
possibly the MR Pop Up- you'd have to add a dry bag or something similar if your volume needs are in excess of 28 liters

Kotaman

WKR
what other pack would you suggest that can carry up to 80lbs that I can carry on a plane

Anything with a decent frame. Put the Avail on a Xcurve and you’re good to go or any of the SG bags that fit your needs. You could also look at virtually anything from Kifaru, EXO, Seek Outside, Mystery Ranch etc. I’ve air travelled all over North America with an Xcurve and a whole host of SG Bags and I’ve travelled a ton with a full Kifaru frame with several of their bags. I travelled a ton with a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and Marshall as well. Your choices are virtually unlimited.

Jeffh0214

FNG
Maybe give a Seek Outside Gila 3500 or Divide 4500 a look? They’re integrated on the 24 inch Seek Outside frame and can handle 80 lbs. no problem. You can even add frame extensions for extra load lift if needed.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot to mention that my Gila legitimately meets Southwest’s carry out requirements of 24x16x10 without issues when loaded. Your airline may have different carry on dimensions though.

sapinid

FNG
I actually own the MR popup 28, it totally bothers my back, I don't know why. I have had it fitted and everything, sent pictures in of it on me to MR, they didn't see anything wrong with the fit, it just doesn't fit me right. The adjustment on the padding rubbed me wrong. I am the only one that I have seen on any review that even has a complaint about it, so I must be an anomaly. Am looking at the Eberlestock HiSpeed II, it will carry a lot I know, their backpacks are heavy though, but at 60-80 lbs whats a pound or so...

- - - Updated - - -

Flying international is not the same as flying domestic, they are a lot tighter on rules, 22' long but get free checkin up to 2 bags. Checkin doesn't work for me, I don't have time, ie an extra hour, to get my check in plus all that goes with it on the other side of where I fly to. Also, too long of a bag, just fyi, when walking in real jungle with lots of thorns everywhere, gets hooked a lot more, much more of a pain. Tried it, didn't like it.