New Stone Glacier Avail 2200

Kotaman

WKR
I actually own the MR popup 28, it totally bothers my back, I don't know why. I have had it fitted and everything, sent pictures in of it on me to MR, they didn't see anything wrong with the fit, it just doesn't fit me right. The adjustment on the padding rubbed me wrong. I am the only one that I have seen on any review that even has a complaint about it, so I must be an anomaly. Am looking at the Eberlestock HiSpeed II, it will carry a lot I know, their backpacks are heavy though, but at 60-80 lbs whats a pound or so...

- - - Updated - - -

Flying international is not the same as flying domestic, they are a lot tighter on rules, 22' long but get free checkin up to 2 bags. Checkin doesn't work for me, I don't have time, ie an extra hour, to get my check in plus all that goes with it on the other side of where I fly to. Also, too long of a bag, just fyi, when walking in real jungle with lots of thorns everywhere, gets hooked a lot more, much more of a pain. Tried it, didn't like it.

I have flown MULTIPLE times to Canada, Mexico and Africa with 25 and 26 inch frames and never been questioned.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
is the 70-80 lbs only to be transported via airline? if that’s the case the Avail wouldn’t “break”, if you intend on carrying that load for any distance you can easily rule out the Avail

sapinid

FNG
that amount, which would be a rare carry, would be for food when hiking in Asia, mostly rice, sugar, coffee, salt. 30K of rice can easily fit in a 30 liter bag. On the carry on, just hiking clothes and blanket, toiletries etc. Usually once I get there, I am walking with closer to 40 lbs, but sometimes have carried 60-80 lbs, so want a bag that can do it. I know it wouldn't be comfortable. Actually, I carry when it is that heavy with a strap over my head, spreads the weight. But don't want a bag that can't handle it, or the frame flexes too much with that weight, which would make my back hurt

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
give SG a call, but if you're comfortable with uncomfortable :D I'm pretty sure the pack would handle it

sapinid

FNG
I tried the avail for a short walk with 60lbs. It was about the most painful backpack I have ever tried. The internal frame is way too flexible, so that with the bag stuffed, it bowed. I liked the bag, but to carry more than 30 lbs is incredibly painful, you were right about that. This bag is strictly a light carry bag as is. I would put it on par with any other bags that have no frame, including any cheaper hiking backpacks. I wish they had put a stiffer frame on it.

Kotaman

WKR
I tried the avail for a short walk with 60lbs. It was about the most painful backpack I have ever tried. The internal frame is way too flexible, so that with the bag stuffed, it bowed. I liked the bag, but to carry more than 30 lbs is incredibly painful, you were right about that. This bag is strictly a light carry bag as is. I would put it on par with any other bags that have no frame, including any cheaper hiking backpacks. I wish they had put a stiffer frame on it.

With that kind of weight that bag is designed to be used with a frame like the XFrame. No surprise there. “As is”, this bag works great as a carry-on or for short day hunts and that’s about it. The internal frame was not designed to carry any kind of load...If you want this bag with a stiffer frame, simply put it on a stiffer frame.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Yeah the avail was designed to actually flex with you, with skiing in mind, so low profile, no load lift, etc. On a frame it’s just like any other SG pack for carrying weight. But I wouldn’t carry it hunting with the intention of packing anything but gear, it certainly isn’t a good pack for heavy weights. That being the case, it’s shoulder straps are WAY better than a lot of daypacks I’ve used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got one of these packs for Xmas, what is everyone using the shock cord for inside the pack? Trying to decide if it’s worth keeping in there.

oldhorse

WKR
Got one of these packs for Xmas, what is everyone using the shock cord for inside the pack? Trying to decide if it’s worth keeping in there.

They are designed to connect to pullout pouches, so you can pull them out and access them easily, but they remain attached to the pack. I used Kifaru ultra lite pilots, worked great for me. Worked fine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Pullouts, not pilots!

They are designed to connect to pullout pouches, so you can pull them out and access them easily, but they remain attached to the pack. I used Kifaru ultra lite pilots, worked great for me. Worked fine for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Pullouts, not pilots!

Aaahhh gotcha thanks for the heads up on that, makes sense

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Older thread, but I'm looking at the Avail as a low key carry on for international travel. It would be replacing a well worn Osprey Stratos 36 S/M. From reading this thread it sounds like the pack should handle 40 pounds well, though going over that is inviting pain.

I know @mtwarden uses a Seek Outside Flight. I'm curious how the two compare for heavier loads, though the Flight is less ideal for my use and at a 23 inch frame is to large for some carry ons. The other option is the Exo EXS, but that is an expensive solution that due to the short frame will likely not haul a load much better for me (and load hauling is more of a what-if, if expected I would bring a full sized pack).

I also like that the Avail comes in grey/black, which is less military looking that ranger green.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Flight is too large imo for travel (airline travel). The Avail you can slip the waist belt off if need be (carry on).

They both utilize a mild internal frame, load carrying ability would be pretty close- maybe a slight nod to the Flight.

If travel is your main focus, I think the Avail should fit the bill pretty close. It's also a nice pack for long day/winter hikes.

Older thread, but I'm looking at the Avail as a low key carry on for international travel. It would be replacing a well worn Osprey Stratos 36 S/M. From reading this thread it sounds like the pack should handle 40 pounds well, though going over that is inviting pain.

I know @mtwarden uses a Seek Outside Flight. I'm curious how the two compare for heavier loads, though the Flight is less ideal for my use and at a 23 inch frame is to large for some carry ons. The other option is the Exo EXS, but that is an expensive solution that due to the short frame will likely not haul a load much better for me (and load hauling is more of a what-if, if expected I would bring a full sized pack).

I also like that the Avail comes in grey/black, which is less military looking that ranger green.
The avail actually works well for flights because it’s about as big a back pack as you can get and still have it be your personal item rather than your 1 carry on, even with the belt on it

I’ve used mine like that a few times. It’s a comfortable and well laid out little pack but I had a few complaints.

Adjusting to fit me (5-9” but with short legs and a longer torso) was very cumbersome regarding trial and error. But once adjusted properly I was very happy with the fit. Also, the material on the inside of the shoulder straps gets stuck to the Velcro that is exposed after adjusting the torso height.
It frays and is very annoying to have to ‘unvelcro’ the straps every time you set it down.

I actually wrapped the bottom part of the should strap in electrical tape. Took care of the problem.

I have never put enough weight in mine to comment on what would be comfortable.

jmez

WKR
Go to Wal Mart and buy some squares of Velcro. Cut them to fit the exposed loops stick on and cover it up.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Go to Wal Mart and buy some squares of Velcro. Cut them to fit the exposed loops stick on and cover it up.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
That would have been much cleaner for sure…but the electrical tape was handy and it works well for the purpose.