What I don't bring on a backpack hunt anymore!

Everyone learns this at their own pace. Everyone brings too much in the beginning. I find that the people who take it seriously start to really analyze their gear, which leads to them lightening up their packs.

Problem is, what works for me won’t necessarily work for you. For example, if you look at my gear list you will see a Nemo fillo which weighs 12-14 oz. Before I bought this pillow I tried using my puffy and the little bit of spare clothes I had with me a couple trips and found that I couldn’t sleep worth a crap at night. First night using this pillow with my puffy I slept like a baby. I’d be willing to bet most would see this piece of gear and think “oh you can lose a bunch of weight right there!”. They’re not wrong, they just have different requirements. For that matter I’ve been considering a helinox chair for some hunts where I plan to hike in, set up a “base camp” and hunt out from there everyday. Or during the summer scouting trips, or any trip where a pound won’t make or break my ability to hunt effectively.

I guess what I’m trying to say is this particular topic can’t be approached with a one size fits all mentality.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
I'm just saying its kind of funny to see what some people brought on their hunt such as 5 pairs of socks or canned foods etc. I've got my gear pretty refined so I'm not so much looking for tips as much as a good laugh

1. We leave our fat, bitchy or lazy friends home.
2. No spotting scope.
3. No extra clothes except for one pair of light merino wool top and bottom.
4. No camp shoes.
5. No poo shovel. Poo goes under a rock.
6. No tools, hatchet or leatherman.
7. No real first aide kit. Hydrocodone and ibuprofen cures everything.

However, I LOVE my trekking poles and even use them with my day pack if I’m in the mountains.
I also take a 1 liter plastic bottle filled with whiskey to sip in the evening.

Beanyray

FNG
Great thread.

Extra headlamp and tons of batteries made my first cut. My phone is my backup light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrick18

Lil-Rokslider
The entrenching tool and case, what was I thinking, and I never used it or found the need to. This list for me includes my extra large tarp, all that stuff stays in the truck.

How do you guys feel about carrying a handgun in?

For me it depends. I left the handgun back at base camp this year and fortunately never regretted it, but if I’m hunting Kodiak, it’s pretty much always carried. I’ve used it on the island, when I’ve had nothing else, and was very much glad I was carrying it.

If I'm going to be around brown bear I am most definitely bringing a gun. I live in CO now so it's just black bear and mountain lion that I would have to worry about. What did you carry on Kodiak and how did it perform?

LandYacht

WKR
1. 44 mag Ruger Redhawk for bears in Colorado along with 12 extra bullets, I’ll just use my bow if it comes to that.

2. Spotting scope. 10x binos on a tripod are more than enough

3. Second air pad. Seriously carried one in case my first one sprung a leak, plus I figured I could lash them together and have “mega pad”, which didn’t work either.

4. Too much food. I now take half of the amount of food that I would normally think is the right amount. I just never eat when hunting. Now sitting and glassing is another story.

5. Sleeping bag liner. Sleep in my long underwear which now double as my sleeping bag liner and it’s easier to get out of my bag in the cold.

robtattoo

WKR
Food.
My first time doing a week-long, high altitude solo hunt I carried 2lb per day + condiments.......
I literally buried more than half of it before I set of back to the truck.
Maybe it's a flatlander thing, but above 10K, I just can't eat as much. Now I dehydrate my own food, I can easily get by on less than 10oz per 24hrs.
That said, I'm also a fat bastard, so I'm literally 6 months of starvation away from running on reserves......

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Food.
My first time doing a week-long, high altitude solo hunt I carried 2lb per day + condiments.......
I literally buried more than half of it before I set of back to the truck.
Maybe it's a flatlander thing, but above 10K, I just can't eat as much. Now I dehydrate my own food, I can easily get by on less than 10oz per 24hrs.
That said, I'm also a fat bastard, so I'm literally 6 months of starvation away from running on reserves......

We noticed the same thing. Just didn’t want to eat and when we did we would get nauseas. If we stopped and got food while down the mountain in town switching spots we inhaled food.

Also when after making camp at night I have a struggle of deciding weather to eat or just fall asleep.