MR Pintler VS Metcalf

NDGuy

WKR
Alright I pulled the trigger and bought the Metcalf and Pintler from my local Scheels and am giving both of them a test run for few weeks. My initial impressions are that they are both fantastic packs but will both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I love how compact and neat the Pintler looks and feels. Easy access, compresses nicely and as of now feels the nicest on my back. I definitely can tell that the smaller volume could get irritating if you were doing anything but day hunting.

The Metcalf I think will be very versatile. Compresses nicely, but really opens up and looks and feels great when loaded up. The Metcalf does seem like it's "busy" sometimes, all of the buckles can be overwhelming to me (first nice pack I've owned) but I think that's just a matter of getting used to it.

Those of you that have owned one or both, what are your likes/dislikes. I have decided on MR and it's between the Pintler and Metcalf so any input for helping me make my decision would be great.

I am definitely open to keeping one or the other and finding a used Metcalf or Pintler/Longbow online in the future to have the ability to use both.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Will it not be possible to buy either one and just get the bag of the other in the future ala exo and kifaru ??????

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Will it not be possible to buy either one and just get the bag of the other in the future ala exo and kifaru ??????

Would those be able to attach to the Guide light frame?

I really like the metcalf for overnight trips, it's big enough that I got everything in it for a ten day sheep hunt in Alaska. For day trips I like a smaller bag and more organization so I run the crew cab for those trips.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I really like the metcalf for overnight trips, it's big enough that I got everything in it for a ten day sheep hunt in Alaska. For day trips I like a smaller bag and more organization so I run the crew cab for those trips.

That's a bit what I'm worried about with the Metcalf. I think it would be overkill on a lot of my hunts. But as long as it still carries well with the lighter weight I would rather have it for when I do have a longer trip.

Trial153

WKR
I really like my Plinter on the guide lite frame. It's the perfect size for day hunts and I think i can get away with it for two /maybe three day early season hunts but any more then that is not happening. This pack reminds me of the longbow I should never have gotten rid of.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I really like my Plinter on the guide lite frame. It's the perfect size for day hunts and I think i can get away with it for two /maybe three day early season hunts but any more then that is not happening. This pack reminds me of the longbow I should never have gotten rid of.

I'm leaning towards the Pintler. Really wish I could just buy the Metcalf bag without the frame too. haha

SnapT

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone emailed Mystery Ranch or a retailer and asked about the possibility of swapping out bags to confirm ???

While researching packs I saw a write-up on Bowsite I believe , where Elk Reaper had a longbow with two side pockets and said he got up to 5 days out of it . I'm guessing that two kifaru spotting scope pockets or large pockets would be similiar ? Or possibly Mystery Ranches alpine lid if it could be attached ? Pintler = Longbow + .

I had my brother watch the Pintler vids and now he is considering one if they ever come in stock (was looking at a tenzig something) .

I've had both packs and the Pintler suited me better in a one-pack scenario. I have no stake in what pack a guy buys and I realize it's all personal choice. I liked the Metcalf but it did not excel as my daypack during hunts. That was mainly due to excess volume, busy straps, drawcord top, lid, etc. I sacrificed volume to get ideal capability. The Pintler is an excellent hunting pack; small enough for daypack use and has the capability to carry 100+ pound loads. It just doesn't have the bigger, busier bag of the Metcalf. If I need to pack larger volumes of gear (as in extended bivy hunts) I can do it with the Pintler. It takes a single dry bag or load cell (of enough volume) which goes between the frame and bag. Additional light items can be secured to the exterior of the pack via existing webbing and daisy chains.

My favorite things about the Pintler are the tri-zip access (fast and versatile) and the nimble size/profile under hunting conditions.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I've had both packs and the Pintler suited me better in a one-pack scenario. I have no stake in what pack a guy buys and I realize it's all personal choice. I liked the Metcalf but it did not excel as my daypack during hunts. That was mainly due to excess volume, busy straps, drawcord top, lid, etc. I sacrificed volume to get ideal capability. The Pintler is an excellent hunting pack; small enough for daypack use and has the capability to carry 100+ pound loads. It just doesn't have the bigger, busier bag of the Metcalf. If I need to pack larger volumes of gear (as in extended bivy hunts) I can do it with the Pintler. It takes a single dry bag or load cell (of enough volume) which goes between the frame and bag. Additional light items can be secured to the exterior of the pack via existing webbing and daisy chains.

My favorite things about the Pintler are the tri-zip access (fast and versatile) and the nimble size/profile under hunting conditions.

Thanks for the write up Kevin. I PMd you awhile back and you gave me a great response comparing the two. Thanks again for the suggestion.

This week before I return one, I'm going to load both up with the same exact gear. I want to mimic what I will load them with and compare the feel of the weight and how they carry.

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Metcalf, but still agree with everything Kevin said. It folds up fine for day hunts, but the straps to accomplish it are a pita. I went that route only because I needed a pack for 3-5 day trips, which makes the hassle worth it for day trips. As soon as MR gets their inventory problems sorted out and starts selling bags separate, I'll get a smaller bag for day hunts.

JLH208

WKR
Pintler is awesome, it carries what I need with just a little room to spare. I would love to also own a metcalf just to have that option of space but right now I hunt from the pickup. It is the most comfortable pack I've owned in regards to carrying weight (20 to ~75lbs so far) and the zippers are perfect for quick access to anything in it. I love the simple layout.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
I own both, and would agree with the assessment that the Pintler is the best option for dawn to dusk/big dayhunts, or even 2-3 days, if you pack right. I have done 3 days in it with the Overload Shelf expanded, and a drybag carrying my sleeping bag/clothes in between pack and frame, and the rest of my kit in the bag itself. Once an elk hit the ground, it was easy to pack quarters, etc. with the Overload Shelf. That setup is the best method in my opinion for carrying big heavy loads.

The Metcalf can be used as a day hunter by removing the lid and cinching it down, but if you are leaning towards more big day hunts, and a few overnights here or there, the Pintler is the way to go. The level of organization, pockets, and overall more streamlined size makes it a great choice.

It boils down to style of hunt preference: long day hunts/overnights vs. 4-5 day backcountry hunts. Pintler for the former, Metcalf for the latter.

Good luck!

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
i actually spoke with someone at MR this morning and they will have bag only options in 2018

Yes I can attest to this as well. I ended up keeping the Metcalf and returning the Pintler. The Metcalf seemed more versatile to me is what it came down to.

MR told me to start they will offer the Pintler and a smaller pack called "The Mule" separately from the frame starting in 2018.

boom

WKR
i had a Metcalf ordered..i found my wife cursing at the computer about our HUGE tax bill..and quietly canceled it..figured it was dumb to poke the badger at that point.. not that a pack cost would even be a blip at the tax man level..haha.

dust has settled and i might order it again..it will be sold out now i'm sure.

4rcgoat

WKR
i had a Metcalf ordered..i found my wife cursing at the computer about our HUGE tax bill..and quietly canceled it..figured it was dumb to poke the badger at that point.. not that a pack cost would even be a blip at the tax man level..haha.

dust has settled and i might order it again..it will be sold out now i'm sure.

Just gotta love tax time,ehh! I owe every year and wait till the last minute every year,trying to convince myself to get them done tonight, 1 day left......btw i love my metcalf.

boom

WKR
i think i can thank this THREAD. i was reading it a few nights ago and fell asleep with it opened and my ipad laying on my face. my wife must have read it.

i just got an email confirming a Metcalf ordered. she put my pack back into the shopping cart. OR i slept-ordered it. (if that happened..i am busted) either way, i think i have one coming soon. they appear to be in stock.

i cant wait to give it a go. i LOVE my Dragonslayer. but if in the future i can buy the Pintler bag separate..i am jumping on one. just not right before tax time.