Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
Well I bought an EVO frame and have loaded it, adjusted it, and walked with it over the last couple days, and it does not fit me near as comfortably as my X-curve. The X-curve just fits my back like it was molded in place...I actually have two of them and they feel identical. The EVO stays lean back away from my shoulders and the bottom edge of the lumbar pad digs in to my back just above my pants belt. I also notice that the belt fits differently, and the longer twin pad web straps are more difficult to get dialed in for that fit that I get with the x-curve belt. I knew I wasn't a flat back shape, but since I have no a$$ I had hoped the EVO would fit as well as the X-curve does, and maybe save a half pound. Well the "sucked into my back" fit of the x-curve makes it "feel" lighter on my back, even though the bare EVO feels noticeably lighter in hand than the bare X-curve. Darnation...the color of the EVO looks so good and blends with the new custom pack in highlander on it that pods8 made for my X-curve...but I think the EVO is going to go back to SG, and I am going to stick with my X-curve frame.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Josh could you provide us with some more in depth pictures of the bag? ie. spotting scope pocket, overall main opening of bag and just some better pictures than on SG's site

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey Josh could you provide us with some more in depth pictures of the bag? ie. spotting scope pocket, overall main opening of bag and just some better pictures than on SG's site

I can do that. I'll work on it this weekend.

Boreal

WKR
When I used the original Krux I experienced a slight barreling effect when I had two elk quarters strapped in under high tension. It really didn't bother me once it was on my back. I'll see if I can replicate the load with this new frame .

-Josh

Two elk quarters and I might have some issues with my back barreling, even if the pack didn’t! I’m replacing my original Icon frame and bag, and really interested in this and the Sky Archer. Great to have these reviews!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are a few additional photos of frame and bag.

It appears the bag is s a little more narrow at the bottom compared to the Sky Archer 6200 I've been using for a while. In these photos you can see the basic overall shape and the extra room the spotting scope pocket generates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The frame looks real similar to the original Krux although the waist belt is considerably different. I think this will make for more comfortable overall fit of the frame to some who had a hard time with the original frame. Also the shoulder straps seem a little more curved and substantial like the straps of the X-curve.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a photo of the scope pocket. It seems well thought out, but I'll give it a test to find out for sure.

attachment.php

Hopefully these photos work for those on Tapatalk. If not you'll have to jump on a computer to have a look.

Last edited:
Here are a few additional photos of frame and bag.

It appears the bag is s a little more narrow at the bottom compared to the Sky Archer 6200 I've been using for a while. In these photos you can see the basic overall shape and the extra room the spotting scope pocket generates.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The frame looks real similar to the original Krux although the waist belt is considerably different. I think this will make for more comfortable overall fit of the frame to some who had a hard time with the original frame. Also the shoulder straps seem a little more curved and substantial like the straps of the X-curve.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here is a photo of the scope pocket. It seems well thought out, but I'll give it a test to find out for sure.

attachment.php

Hopefully these photos work for those on Tapatalk. If not you'll have to jump on a computer to have a look.

It doesn't show any pics on my computer or my phone. When I first opened the page it showed a blank box like there's a picture available that hasn't loaded yet, but then it just disappears and doesn't come back. Same thing happened with the first pics you tried uploading. Weird.

I wish they padded the outside material of the scope pocket, or at least offered a padded pocket option. I know it would add a little wt. to the overall pack, but it would be very minimal.

OP
Josh Boyd

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wish they padded the outside material of the scope pocket, or at least offered a padded pocket option. I know it would add a little wt. to the overall pack, but it would be very minimal.

I know what you mean. I'm always concerned having my expensive optics riding unprotected on the outside of the pack. It'll be interesting to see how this pocket functions after a little real world use.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I'd think using a padded sleeve on your optics would be a better/more universal option for both pieces of gear. You don't have a padded pack that doesn't collapse as well when optics aren't in that pocket and also the optic is protected in its sleeve no mater what pack its in or if you are carrying it?

I'd think using a padded sleeve on your optics would be a better/more universal option for both pieces of gear. You don't have a padded pack that doesn't collapse as well when optics aren't in that pocket and also the optic is protected in its sleeve no mater what pack its in or if you are carrying it?
I hear ya, and I do have the Swaro soft case on my spotter, but I just wish they would offer a padded pocket option in a pocket that is designed specifically for a spotting scope. Even with the padded case I would probably get that option, because I tend to be a bit on the anal side when it comes to protecting a $3,000+ piece of glass. But again, that's just me and I'm sure I'm part of the minority.