Testing the 2018 Stone Glacier EVO Frame & 40/56 bag

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have received a new Krux EVO frame with a EVO 40/65 bag for an extended test and review under a normal season of use. Some may recall the thread where I tested the Sky Archer 6200 in 2016 as an extended test. Again, the goal is to write a review after putting the pack through some serious use and and relay my findings to the readers of Rokslide. As I use the frame and pack I'll be posting to this thread to keep everyone up to date on how it's being used, add photos, gather test suggestions, and answer questions.

For those who don't know, I've a little history with Stone Glacier. Over the past few years, in various combinations, I've used a Krux frame with a one piece belt, a Krux frame with a two-piece belt, and an Xcurve frame paired to a Solo 3300, a Sky 5100, a Sky Archer 6200, and a Minimalist. I have used almost every major pack manufacturer out there including Kifaru, Mystery Ranch (old and new versions), Kuiu, Sitka, and others. Like the last review, hopefully I can offer a good comparison between the Stone Glacier line and others.

The use this season should be similar as I'm always doing winter work in the backcountry, spring bear hunts, and summer backpacking. Inevitably I seem to carry few loads of elk and mule deer meat and out of the mountains and I hope this year is no different.

Hit me up with questions, thoughts, or comments throughout the testing. Also check the thread on the Sky Archer to see how that pack held up. It can be found here: http://www.rokslide.com/forums/backpacks/44840-testing-stone-glacier-sky-archer-6200-a.html

attachment.php

Subsribed , really like my Krux but if this is lighter and as good .... well momma gona be pissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subsribed , really like my Krux but if this is lighter and as good .... well momma gona be pissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just tell her you wanted a different color, she’ll understand

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Initial durability impressions versus previous versions? IE is the weight savings potentially at a compromise in the evo frame durability or purely optimization?

Tagging along.

Can you post some pictures of the 40/56 bag and the way the side zip works and the spotter pocket? As others have mentioned, I'm also curious about the durability of the Evo frame compared to the X-Curve. What are your initial impressions about the weight saving of the frame? Does it come at the cost of potentially sacrificing ANY comfort/load hauling capability/durability? And other than the sewn in triglides in the bag for the hydration bladder sleeve, how many other sewn in loops are there for camp pockets/swing out pockets?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ill be following along!!!!

Can you give some initial impressions between the solo3300 and the 40/56?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Subscribed

Excellent; always enjoys Josh’s reviews. Lots of good meat and potatoes.

mt100gr.

WKR
Josh, has SG addressed the issue of frame "barreling" at all? Or does it still roll up like a map with less than ideally shaped loads? I absolutely love my xcurve frame for the backpacking part of my hunting but more than a few times have cussed it trying to arrange the heavy stuff. Whether a sand bag for training, a bag of meat, an elk head and cape, or a.deer quarter, if you cinch down anything but a flat package, it rolls.

Granted, the Kifaru ultralight platform suffers the same fate without DIY cross stays.

Just curiuos, as that is the only issue I have had.

Josh, If possible - I'd love to see some pics of the interior, the scope pocket, how well the side access opens, etc. Also what it looks like with no scope cinched up. And how you think it compares to a 5100?

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm interested in any commentary on flat back versus curved. And of course pics

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Initial durability impressions versus previous versions? IE is the weight savings potentially at a compromise in the evo frame durability or purely optimization?

This + how does it handle a load? Saving a few pounds while hunting is great, but when it comes time to haul meat, it has to be comfortable.

Hunter Sargent

Lil-Rokslider
Josh, has SG addressed the issue of frame "barreling" at all? Or does it still roll up like a map with less than ideally shaped loads? I absolutely love my xcurve frame for the backpacking part of my hunting but more than a few times have cussed it trying to arrange the heavy stuff. Whether a sand bag for training, a bag of meat, an elk head and cape, or a.deer quarter, if you cinch down anything but a flat package, it rolls.

Granted, the Kifaru ultralight platform suffers the same fate without DIY cross stays.

I'm surprised you have issues. My MR pack barreled pretty bad, so it was a big issue for me when selecting a new pack. Trying Kifaru and SG, I couldn't get them to barrel no matter how hard I tried. Happily using an xcurve since they came out...no barreling at all.

Im following along. Just got a steal on a krux frame trying to decide wat bag to get now

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I find this interesting as well. I’ve had, and currently have both the X and the K frames and I’ve never had this issue of “barrel” rolling up. I’m not too big into boning out meat, and I’ve never done it using a SG pack so I can’t speak to that, but I have packed out a few animals with them (moose, and several goats and deer), along with goat hides stuffed into the SG load cell, and all packed out very well. Can you further describe this issue? I’m curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
I guess I would say picture a 60 pound tube sand bag. Maybe 24 inches tall, cylindrical about 9 or 10 inches in diameter. I use this as a litmus test of sorts. Not super heavy, but solid and shaped. When I drop that into the load sling and tighten up the side compression straps, the frame simply folds back around it. This tips the frame stays outward and pushes the torso pads "forward".

Certainly ,i am able to avoid this with camp gear and hunting equipment but a solid load of meat has the same effect. Pack it in a "vertical column" tight to the back and the frame wraps around it. Not to the extent of sand, and other items can be packed around it to mitigate a little but it still barrels. I also noticed it when packing the head and cape.from my bull this year. The straps needed to be as tight as possible and the top of the frame was pretty distorted when tightened down around the skull.

Vertically the stays are super but without horizontal stays of some sort, the x pattern basically makes a hinge in the middle. I added carbon arrow cross stays to my kifaru frame as there are plenty of webbing loops to rig then in (similar to the old bikini frame mods)

The frame sheet in a standard duplex frame is stiff enough to.counter the barreling but the SG frame and the kifaru ultralight (with arrow stays) do not have a robust enough frame sheet.

The only reason I could see getting this frame over my OG krux/ 5100 is the belt has the 2 straps to "cup" the hips. The 3 oz savings and color aint gona swing this buyer but I do want the belt....