Seek Outside Peregrine

FURMAN

WKR
Just curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure whyJust curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure whyJust curious about seek. Been through several kifarus, was ultimately not satisfied with the system and have SG right now. The ultrasimplicity of seek outside is catching my attention. Nothing about exo grabs my attention, not sure why, it just doesnt interest me.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Great packs overall. Maybe you’ll love the lid and talon. I’ve got one of each I’d sell like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guys, I’m REALLY torn between the Goshawk and the Peregrine.

I liked the Brooks but I want the Revo frame functionality, and I can’t afford to go the extra $100 for the Saker, so the Peregrine or the Goshawk it is...

I think the Peregrine would suit 85% of my trips no worries, I really like the functionality of the wide and deep side sleeves and the extra organisation for some “always carry” survival gear would be handy. I generally only get to go out for 3-4 days MAX, although a lot of my hunting is during winter here in Australia, so my 3 days with appropriate insulation can get a lot bulkier than a summer trip.

I AM concerned about the occasional 5+ day trip that I may make, if I got a lid it obviously adds capacity and I guess I can always strap a dry bag either between the frame and bag or between the bag and lid.

My issue is that I can sometimes max out my current pack (a Gen 1 Exo 3500) and I always promised myself that I would never buy such a small pack again, but the Peregrine is calling to me, can some of the guys that have owned both an Exo 3500 and the Peregrine give me some comparisons on the relative pack capacities and general circumference etc, as well as their thoughts on my dilemma??

I have a 2016 Exo 3500. I'd have to look at the specs but i feel like the Peregrine bag is bigger around and the exo is taller. They seem pretty close in capabilities although I have always grabbed a 5500 or broadwing rather than max out the smaller bags. I use the lid on the Exo for the same items as the center pockets on the peregrine. While peregrine is probably tops in the Seek line for features, it is not as well executed as the exo bags IMO. The side pockets and compression on exo is just cleaner and quicker. The lid attachments are intentional and accessing the main bag is a little quicker because of that. On the seek lid, the bag side (vs frame side) has straps that need to go all the way to the bottom of the bag to attach which isn't ideal.

I think you'd be disappointed in the peregrine bag compared to exo 3500. However, the change to a SO frame might be worth it to you. I'm still not sure if I prefer the Revo frame to an exo K2, but I felt the K2 was a nice upgrade from the original. Seek frame holds loads more securely than exo without feeling restrictive (compared to say a kifaru duplex) but I have found the Exo k2 belt to stay on my hips a little better packing out elk.

Last edited:

FURMAN

WKR
I have a 2016 Exo 3500. I'd have to look at the specs but i feel like the Peregrine bag is bigger around and the exo is taller. They seem pretty close in capabilities although I have always grabbed a 5500 or broadwing rather than max out the smaller bags. I use the lid on the Exo for the same items as the center pockets on the peregrine. While peregrine is probably tops in the Seek line for features, it is not as well executed as the exo bags IMO. The side pockets and compression on exo is just cleaner and quicker. The lid attachments are intentional and accessing the main bag is a little quicker because of that. On the seek lid, the bag side (vs frame side) has straps need to go all the way to the bottom of the bag to attach which isn't ideal.

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'll add a bit to the Talon discussion to round the perspective out a bit.

The Base Talon on a Fortress allows you to have a very water resistant packbag and have an interchangeable external organization pocket. The idea is that you can tailor the talon to your trip. A mesh talon works great for wet weather backpacking. Just throw a wet tent in it and it dries as you walk. The base talon is more secure for organizing gear. Add a Merlin and you have a dayhunt or summit pack independent of the main bag.

I find the Base Talon easy to use. I know where everything is. Paired with a side zip packbag all I have to do is unhook the lower two compression straps on the left side of the talon and unzip the packbag from the bottom up to access the interior. Very fast, very easy.

It also works really well as a compression panel if you're carrying meat. The bladder pocket is handy for raingear or a map if you don't use a bladder.

Overall I find it very useful. A lot of others do as well. But it's not for everyone, some people like sewn-to pockets.

We have expanded our pocketing and packbag designs with an eye to serving different tastes, while still maintaining a focus on functionality and weight.

sndmn11

WKR
The lid can be attached a few different ways, and I like the talon/merlin. Both I think are well executed, and I can't think of a difference in how lids attach better by a different manufacturer. I love the compression options that the gatekeepers allow, and really the options are endless.

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all for the input, it really is great to have such a large forum group to draw insight and feedback from.

I guess I can’t expect any pack bag that has been designed as an “extended daypack/overnighter” to fulfill such a varied role as my “one-and-done” pack bag, it’s just that it’s SO CLOSE to being able to fulfill the role, it’s frustrating, if there was a packbag with the layout design of the Peregrine but say 4200 main bag, it would be the Hands down do it all pack bag for me.

I’m really keen on the side sleeve concept, I often use them to slip a short lever action rifle into while I hunt, so to go without them with the Goshawk is what is holding me back.

Alternatively if there were stand alone “wing pockets” that gave the same functionality as the sleeves on the Peregrine but that could be attached to the Revo frame and could be used with just the frame or else wrapped around the side of any packbag, that would be really cool too, maybe I should get he Goshawk and have a go at doing up some DIY Wing pockets to attach to the frame, that would fix all my issues.

Just out of interest, can ANYONE give any feedback on whether the Olive color of the SO pack is a match to the olive or dark olive color from Ripstop by the Roll??

Last edited:

Rokwiia

WKR
Why couldn't you get the Goshawk, add a Talon, and then slip the short, lever-action rifle into one of the bottom pockets and cinch it down along the side with the straps? There are several inset pictures of that configuration when you pull up the Goshawk at their website. You can also see the attachment points on this video.

https://seekoutside.com/goshawk-4800/

[video=youtube;xln_EVyCl4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xln_EVyCl4E[/video]

Last edited:

Crusader

WKR
I think I am in the exact same boat as Lockster, with virtually identical needs and desires. Was pretty certain I was going after a Peregrine up until a week or so ago when I got to thinking that for the rare/occasional time I need several days to a weeks' worth of space, it wouldn't be big enough. But looking at the Goshawk or Unaweep, 4500 or 4800 seems too much....I wish there were a 4000 or 4200 cu inch offered. But like some of the manufacturer's people have said, it's hard to have the exact product that every buyer wants. This is the downside to buying over the Internet, not being able to see/try/fit/handle the products in person. I think if I could be at the SO office, I could make the decision in 10 minutes or so. But as I live in St. Louis and don't have any Colorado travel plans in the next couple months, that won't happen.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With a rolltop, when you're debating sizing, get it bigger than you need. If you don't use the full volume, roll it down to frame height.

The difference in 4800 and 6300 in weight of packbag fabric is only 3 oz or so, so if you upsize you're not gaining much weight.

Another way to look at it is this - what is 80-90% of your usage? If that 80-90% is day hunts to 2-3 day trips, then get the best pack for that use.

I can fit all my normal gear in a Peregrine, where I'm limited on going 5-7 days is food. If you want to stretch a smaller pack, then add a Merlin or a drybag compressed in breakaway.

Or, if you want a one pack and only one pack solution, Brooks or Saker. They'll do it all.

Lot of ways to look at it, and it all makes sense depending on your needs and perspective (and budget).

Crusader

WKR
Could someone who owns a Peregrine 3500 do me a huge favor and post a picture of that pack full (main compartment) while being worn by someone? I've yet to see a pic like that and want to see just how big it seems, relative to the back of the guy who is wearing it. Really like the features of that pack and I am still trying to decide if that's the size I want or not. If the Peregrine design/features were on the Goshawk, I think that would be my ticket....

Lockster

Lil-Rokslider
Could someone who owns a Peregrine 3500 do me a huge favor and post a picture of that pack full (main compartment) while being worn by someone? I've yet to see a pic like that and want to see just how big it seems, relative to the back of the guy who is wearing it. Really like the features of that pack and I am still trying to decide if that's the size I want or not. If the Peregrine design/features were on the Goshawk, I think that would be my ticket....

Definitely, it would be a no-brainer!

swisski

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Peregrine and Goshawk on the way to cover all needs. Can't wait to use them!

Rokwiia

WKR
What are the chances that SO will offer a Goshawk with Peregrine pockets? That seems to be where this thread is headed.

I have the Fortress 6,300 and would gladly buy the Peregrine bag separately but the oversized pockets make it difficult, if not impossible, to extract a gatorade bottle of water on the fly.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Peregrine and Goshawk on the way to cover all needs. Can't wait to use them!

Just took my Goshawk for a short spin yesterday. With the lid and a base Talon it is very versatile. I messed around with a bunch of different ways to load it up and really like the options for access to gear that I need often. I know other pack companies have packs that can check those boxes, but I am happy with my set up.

I could easily do 5-7 days with it with the gear that I have. Late season is the real test of capacity on a trip that long (with a few extra items of clothing plus the wood stove...on those trips I will put the stove between the Talon and the bag. Works for me.

I used to run a Kifaru Longhunter.

KHNC

WKR
Ordered a Peregrine last week. SHould have it this friday. Owned a Unaweep 4200 last 4 years. I like the storage on the peregrine. Should be very functional for multiple day hunts.

Congrats. Peregrine is awesome. By far my favorite pack I have owned. I run mine with the lid. Side pockets are awesome.

KHNC

WKR
i got the lid as well. Did not get the extra pocket or lumbar pad. Feels great. I have it pre-loaded for my elk hunt this week. Im sure i will do plenty of re-arranging daily.