Kifaru Ultralight frame and Muskeg bag ~ review preview

Mine came yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised by how tight/small it cinches down. I am also impressed with the fact it's not near as noisy as I expected it to be. I am excited to get the Ultralight frame out and put it through it's paces. I think this weekend it'll get a workout hauling in bait.

docdb

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gut put my set up together 7000 Muskeg, 24” Ultralight with organizer and hip belt pockets. I be had it in the woods on a couple of overnighters and find it to be very comfortable. Now what to do with my other packs

GGFerrier

WKR
I’ve gut put my set up together 7000 Muskeg, 24” Ultralight with organizer and hip belt pockets. I be had it in the woods on a couple of overnighters and find it to be very comfortable. Now what to do with my other packs

Sell sell sell

530Chukar

WKR
Those that have the new frame and pack, is it worth selling off the duplex and a similar sized bag for the new setup?

slim9300

WKR
Those that have the new frame and pack, is it worth selling off the duplex and a similar sized bag for the new setup?

100% yes for me. This frame makes the hunting Duplex obsolete in my opinion. To me the Lite is everything I need and the UL is 90% what I need. I will use the UL for backpacking trips and times I don’t need to synch down the load incredibly tight. The Lite could be used for everything of course at a very slight weight penalty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vestvol

FNG
Hey guys I’m new to the forum, and a bit of an ameture. I have only gone on a couple multi day wilderness hunts, however, I have the bug.i have hiked and camped my whole life and spent 6 weeeks hiking thee Rockies after law school. That said I have little expierence with these packs. For Father’s Day my wife has agreeeed to a new Kifaru pack. I have been a Mystery Ranch guy, but have really wanted to try Kifaru. I have chosen the lite frame and had made up my mind to buy the Fulcrum. Now I’m wish washy looking at thee Muskeg? I want a very versatile pack. I will use it for taking my boys camping in the Smokey’s, 5 day Hunts out west, and hiking in to a cabin? The reviews on the fulcrum looked great, lots of capacity, however, looked liked it would be a relatively functional day pack. Is there a reason I should consider the Muskeg?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is a video of how I ran the Muskeg 2800 last week in CO without camp. The complete 4 day gear dump is uploading on the Rokslide youtube right now as well.

[video=youtube_share;jnjCsHk0lpE]https://youtu.be/jnjCsHk0lpE[/video]

jarredelectric

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys I’m new to the forum, and a bit of an ameture. I have only gone on a couple multi day wilderness hunts, however, I have the bug.i have hiked and camped my whole life and spent 6 weeeks hiking thee Rockies after law school. That said I have little expierence with these packs. For Father’s Day my wife has agreeeed to a new Kifaru pack. I have been a Mystery Ranch guy, but have really wanted to try Kifaru. I have chosen the lite frame and had made up my mind to buy the Fulcrum. Now I’m wish washy looking at thee Muskeg? I want a very versatile pack. I will use it for taking my boys camping in the Smokey’s, 5 day Hunts out west, and hiking in to a cabin? The reviews on the fulcrum looked great, lots of capacity, however, looked liked it would be a relatively functional day pack. Is there a reason I should consider the Muskeg?

I am wondering the same exact thing. I have a Sky Talus 6900 by Stone Glacier I bought last year before the Duplex Lite and Muskeg came out. I am considering selling the Sky Talus and buying either the Fulcrum or Muskeg with the Duplex Lite.

Any input on whether or not I am losing my marbles or yeah that's a good idea, please feel free. I am really leaning toward the Muskeg instead of the Fulcrum. Anyone interested in a Sky Talus 6900 with 2 camping trips and no hunting on it?
THanks,.

archer60

FNG
I am curious as to your opinion re the Muskeg (as shown) vs the 22 mag that you video reviewed a while back. bTW, great job on your videos, very practical and straightforward.3

I have a cavern with lite frame on order, but the more I look at the Muskeg the more I am wondering if I should switch to Muskeg 5000 or 7000. The muskeg is a little lighter and I like the fact you don't need a pouch/pocket on the side as you have the built in sleeve for butt of rifle or tripods legs.

Any thoughts or opinions on the Cavern vs Muskeg or welcome.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am curious as to your opinion re the Muskeg (as shown) vs the 22 mag that you video reviewed a while back. bTW, great job on your videos, very practical and straightforward.3

Thanks! Honestly those are just so different. I think I'll like the 22 mag better for day hunts/filmed hunts/treestand hunts... that panel loader with all the pockets inside and the sleeves is just hard to beat for organization. The small Muskeg for me will be used more for a mountain day hunting/maybe overnighter bag. More like a bag to use if I'm hunting out of a basecamp. Just being larger c.i. wise to start with then being able to add a lid and a couple more pockets is nice. It all just comes down to personal preference though or what kind of hunt your on. Just have to figure out what bag design fits your style!

Not to me. I really like the lite frame. Truly do. Very comfortable and hauls great. But, it is not more comfortable then my hunter frame with aluminum stays. If I were forced to sell one today, it'd be the Lite. I think the lite has some nice upgrades. I like the vented back. I like the longer, more flexible side loops on the frame sheet. I like the everything about it. But, with preset composite stays, the fit isn't as custom on the lite frame as on the hunter frame.

I have zero intentions of getting rid of either. But, that is my opinion on them.

Anyone care to chime in on a longer term review on the muskeg? I’m thinking I might pull the trigger on a 7000 in the next but here with a full kifaru kit. Wish they made a xpac fulcrum!

Block

WKR
Just a quick update (not trying to hijack Les’ thread). So far this new frame has been superior to anything Kifaru has released (Lite and UL) And I own them all. The comfort from 20 to 60 pounds is unmatched and there really is no difference between the two options so far. Soon I will get them loaded up with over 100 pounds and we will see how they do. I have high hopes.

83643ffa0dc41d300f2090ccf17b4517.jpg
5a07a06042c6972da7246f71499159e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guna have to shave more than 2oz to
Make me want an Ultra Lite over a Lite,,, unless there is something I’m missing ?

Last edited: