Seek Outside Analysis Paralysis...Advice/Opinions please

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Any roadmap for the zipper on the Goshawk to be upgraded to a waterproof one?

Currently, that wouldn't be an upgrade.

We use a #10 YKK turned inside out which is water resistant, and cover it with an XPac zipper flap which is normally held down by compression straps. In my testing you can't push water through it in rain. Kayak bow wash, yes, but not rain.

"Waterproof" zippers are that for a while, until they wear some, then they're not, and they wear out quickly. If you have experience with them, then you've cussed them as they are hard to use and easy to break.

The #10 we use isn't going to wear out under any sort of normal use.

It's all about trade offs, but we feel the solution we've arrived at makes sense. If you're in a kayak or packraft, Fortress. Otherwise the zipper on the Goshawk works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

104TN

FNG
Currently, that wouldn't be an upgrade.

We use a #10 YKK turned inside out which is water resistant, and cover it with an XPac zipper flap which is normally held down by compression straps. In my testing you can't push water through it in rain. Kayak bow wash, yes, but not rain.

"Waterproof" zippers are that for a while, until they wear some, then they're not, and they wear out quickly. If you have experience with them, then you've cussed them as they are hard to use and easy to break.

The #10 we use isn't going to wear out under any sort of normal use.

It's all about trade offs, but we feel the solution we've arrived at makes sense. If you're in a kayak or packraft, Fortress. Otherwise the zipper on the Goshawk works well.

Appreciate you taking the time to explain the merits of the Goshawk's zipper design and advice for how to decide which 4800 ci pack to go with. Both were super helpful. Much obliged.

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
b9b77d3c320cb5d5d556de11a89249b7.jpg
f80bebaf161960311e565bc5dbf80dda.jpg
16f3ddf174c57738ea23e3364cf01b88.jpg

Took my Goshawk out for a short walk to the river yesterday. The Revolution handled this somewhat awkward load beautifully.

On my way back to the truck I realized that I left the leash for the pup (which I needed once I was close to the parking lot) in the bottom of the packbag... no problem... I just loosened up the bottom compression strap and the lowest side compression strap to the Talon and unzipped the bag to get it.

The zipper is well worth it. I’d recommend the Goshawk

OP
Runningwater
As the OP, thought I'd provide an update. Purchased the Fortress 6300 (actually 2 as one of my hunting partners decided he wanted one as well) about a month ago. Been doing some training in it at 40# and 50# and so far very impressed with its comfort and quality. I can tell you that its huge opened all the way up and can certainly hold more than I can carry. I ordered the lumber pad and started without it and it felt great so never even tried it! Spent about an hour seam sealing it this weekend so it should be pretty darn waterproof and ready to roll this fall.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
b9b77d3c320cb5d5d556de11a89249b7.jpg
f80bebaf161960311e565bc5dbf80dda.jpg
16f3ddf174c57738ea23e3364cf01b88.jpg

Took my Goshawk out for a short walk to the river yesterday. The Revolution handled this somewhat awkward load beautifully.

On my way back to the truck I realized that I left the leash for the pup (which I needed once I was close to the parking lot) in the bottom of the packbag... no problem... I just loosened up the bottom compression strap and the lowest side compression strap to the Talon and unzipped the bag to get it.

The zipper is well worth it. I’d recommend the Goshawk

Fenwick Aetos ? I just got one myself , trying to expand beyond Tenkara and target bigger fish

DWP51

Lil-Rokslider
Fenwick Aetos ? I just got one myself , trying to expand beyond Tenkara and target bigger fish

Good eyes Kevin! I just got it as well. I live it, it’s everything I’ll ever need as a primary fly rod... tried and true 9 foot 5 weight.

I completely agree on the Revolution frame. I absolutely love my revolution frame. Most comfortable I have ever used and my list is huge. I use a revolution with a Peregrine 3500 and a top lid. Awesome setup for my needs

Ranger185

FNG
Been watching this thread for a while. I like to use a water bladder with my packs. Would this have to go in the talon or merlin for daily carry? or is there a slot to run the hose?

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If you're using a Revolution platform pack - Peregrine, Fortress, Goshawk, Broadwing, or Saker - then there are several ways to run a bladder.

My first choice would probably be between packbag and suspension. Suspend the bladder with cordage or a biner from tab loops on the suspension. Benefits of this are weight close to your back, packbag and suspension protect the bladder, it's easy to get to without shuffling gear, and if it leaks it isn't leaking inside the packbag.

You can also run a bladder in a Talon, which works fine but the weight gets away from your back more.

Specific packbags have bladder ports or hang loops. The Gila and Peregrine have bladder ports, while the Brooks and Saker have hang loops in the side pockets. The Broadwing does as well.

netman

WKR
I have the Saker and just returned home from a 14 day elk hunt. I hunted the muzzleloader season however being from Indiana I went out a week early to acclimate and scout.
Upon arriving I found that it was extremely dry and water was scarce. I have a bladder in the outside pouch that holds nearly a gallon of water. I left camp every morning at 0400hrs. I rode my four wheeler to a gate where it was foot traffic only from that point. I would walk nearly three hours to get to my hunting area.
The first couple of days I trimmed weight. I got down to water( gallon) , kill kit, poncho, food for the day, first aid kit ,emergency shit hit the fan kit and muzzleloader kit. I got used to this weight as my normal weight.
Then on opening day elk cow down. My buddies had come to camp Friday night. One elk hunting and one grouse hunting.
We met up at the kill and quartered and deboned.
We packed all the meat out in one trip packing several miles.
My Saker has the Revo suspension. I feel I have it adjusted to 90% satisfaction. I don’t know the weight but it was heavy. We laughed loading our packs trying to outdo each other.
My only complaint is the molle pouches on the belt. They come loose and are not one hand friendly.
Overall I am satisfied with my SO Saker pack. I feel I need to make a few more adjustments to get the perfect fit.

netman

WKR
Straight through the loops and then back into the pouch. The metal clip works itself free and then the pouch flaps up and down.
Even when it’s strapped in it’s not one hand friendly. I carry my Montana gps in the right side pouch and rarely remove it. I keep my iPhone 7 in the left side pouch and constantly removing it for OnX or take a picture.
I like to zip both up while moving about to keep from losing them.
Any suggestions on the pouches?

sndmn11

WKR
Straight through the loops and then back into the pouch. The metal clip works itself free and then the pouch flaps up and down.
Even when it’s strapped in it’s not one hand friendly. I carry my Montana gps in the right side pouch and rarely remove it. I keep my iPhone 7 in the left side pouch and constantly removing it for OnX or take a picture.
I like to zip both up while moving about to keep from losing them.
Any suggestions on the pouches?

It sounds like you aren't attaching the pouches correct. Go to about 1:33 in this video YouTube
If you left the metal tab attached to the slider that you grab to pull, you can use it to push as well and there might be a point where that is more effective.

netman

WKR
I pulled my pack out this morning and did what the video demonstrated. Thanks for the pointer I really appreciate it.

Tyguy

WKR
I don't think I saw it mentioned here but you can swap bags with the Unaweeps, the thing is the suspension is partially sewn into the bag itself. That means when you take the bag off the frame on a Unaweep, the frame is not usable by itself, like it is with the revolution. That is really the only difference as far as I can tell. I actually prefer the Unaweep after having an Evolution frame. I found the Unaweep to be less "finicky" with adjustments and falling out of adjustment in the field.

Dvl_Doc

FNG
“Don’t over think this or use recited internet lore as a guideline with this variable. Use your nugget and determine if this is truly going to be an issue with your hunting. God Bless”
Brilliant! This post negates 90% of the content on Rokslide! LOL