Welcome to Western Edge Gear, builders of kids' backpacks

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Saw this thread after starting my own. My boy loves his. Best piece of gear I've run on in a while...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

What is about the smallest a kid could be to run one of these? My boy is a few years out from really being able to hike with a pack buy theres nothing wrong with starting as early as possible right?

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What is about the smallest a kid could be to run one of these? My boy is a few years out from really being able to hike with a pack buy theres nothing wrong with starting as early as possible right?

It depends on waist and torso height, of course, but you could start them pretty short with the 18" frame (my youngest was 4'4" when I started designing these). We have a pattern for a 16" frame for torsos shorter than 12-13", which is really short. I also have a prototype for really small kids, maybe in the 6-8 year range, with a narrower frame.

Issues with kids include
1) Getting them to cooperate long enough to get things properly adjusted. They squirm and have short attention spans.
2) Getting them used to having a waist belt reasonably snug. It's a weird sensation.
3) Load-to-body weight ratios. Common advice is for a load to be less than 1/3 of body weight so a 50-pound kid should only carry about 16 pounds max (equivalent adult load would be 50-70 pounds, which isn't a whole lot of fun).

Most kids don't have the mental toughness to carry max loads. On the other hand, if they become accustomed to the fit and feel and carrying light loads on day hikes, they can work up just like we adults do. Mine started with a canteen, sweatshirt, and snacks and have built from there.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great looking option for kiddos! Kept wondering when something like this would pop. Welcome to Rokslide!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
September update

I haven't been on here in a while so thought a couple updates would be in order.

I built a blue bag/black frame for someone, and I kind of like it. It seems like a good option if earth tones aren't needed, perhaps making it more acceptable if kids don't want to take "hunting colors" to school, on trail hikes, etc.

Second, for those of you who have smaller kids: I checked the 18" frame on a kid that was between 4' and 4'2" and it fit well, so you could get them started early and make the most of it.

I hope everyone's hunting seasons are going well.

View attachment 79208View attachment 79209

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how I just now saw this thread, but welcome to the site! My brother (Branden) lives in Dickinson and was telling me about your packs earlier this year.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Not sure how I just now saw this thread, but welcome to the site! My brother (Branden) lives in Dickinson and was telling me about your packs earlier this year.

Branden's kid and my two are best buds. They're always up to something--sledding, Nerf wars, camping, wrecking bikes...

I've been working on him to try one, but no luck yet.

Attachments

• MSET9789.jpg
    MSET9789.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 63

archer109

FNG
Very close to me up here in Watford!! Will be hitting u up soon for my boy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I look forward to hearing from you. I work in Watford frequently so may be able to skip the shipping fee.

Don’t wait for the Christmas rush. Hunting season is coming soon, too, so we might be “out of the office” more than normal.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Branden's kid and my two are best buds. They're always up to something--sledding, Nerf wars, camping, wrecking bikes...

I've been working on him to try one, but no luck yet.

If that pack can withstand being used by Kohl, it can withstand just about anything! Cliff testing has nothing on Kohl testing. Haha

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here's a version Chas Carmichael is going to try on his "fun-sized" (his term, not mine) women.

QxGafmq.jpg

x28Jy2x.jpg

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Things got a little off track this fall but I'm back in action. Chas Charmichael said the Muddy Girl pack worked well--it's definitely high-vis.

Dirtytough and I took our crew out on Black Friday, and I shot a doe. We wanted to show them how to bone out a critter and make them pack meat, but things worked out so it made more sense to drag the whole carcass. No matter, though. Everything is an opportunity for learning: sneak over hills--don't walk fast, internal organs, gutting and dragging techniques, the taste of deer heart grilled over a fire of green ash, sage, and juniper...

Thanks to all who have given me an opportunity to help their kids enjoy their outdoor experiences.

UEhtpBU.jpg

HMcpOwx.jpg

kuVvz1g.jpg

ipx1H9H.jpg

hiway_99

FNG
These look awsome. Love that some ones thinking about the kids. I struggled with a pack for my daughter when she was younger. Nothing seamed to fit her well. Are you planning gonna showing these packs off at any of the sportsman shows coming up?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
These look awsome. Love that some ones thinking about the kids. I struggled with a pack for my daughter when she was younger. Nothing seamed to fit her well. Are you planning gonna showing these packs off at any of the sportsman shows coming up?

I'm looking the Billings or Bozeman MT shows in January or Helena in February. Depends on work timing and a few other matters.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After seeing the prices and scarcity of older Kifaru pockets, and wanting a couple similar for myself, I made these recently. Any interest out there?

8x8x3 - 190 CI
yFNGT4u.jpg

rEZaaCR.jpg

1LRafW7.jpg

7.5x14x4 - 400 CI
RBVvVYk.jpg

9wobQX6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to let my Rokslide sponsorship expire at the end of the year. Gotta get some stuff together and hope to sponsor again later next year.

Thanks to all who have checked out this thread, given me encouragement, and let me help their kids enjoy the outdoors more. I'll still be making kid packs (and some pouches), but I'm going to concentrate on upgrading my website.

This is my only "social media" experience, and as good as it is, there's no reason to go anywhere else.

Last edited:

2lbScout

FNG
Good luck to you! Your pack fills a great niche. Cant wait to get my kiddos in one!

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all
after a short hiatus, Western Edge Gear is back!

WEG.png

Please give a welcome to Western Edge Gear, owned and operated by Steven Rude of Dickinson, North Dakota--on Rokslide as Nodakian.

He's a long-time gear junkie and father who's filling an important niche by building backpacks for kids. He's been at it for over a year now and is ready to help get your young 'uns into a pack that's built for their size. From frames, to belts, to bags, he's got you covered. You can see all he offers and more here

western edge.jpg

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks Robby. Glad to be back, just in time for hunting season prep.

We have added a few new items since last time, the most popular being a panel—orange on one side, pack color on the other—and a gun carrier. @dirtytough and I have found the panel really handy for keeping track of kids when we’re spread out while hunting and scouting.

Here’s a couple pictures from a successful spring turkey hunt and pack out.2FF8BA11-5C0D-4D87-8F93-70235D54E2B8.jpeg8B4FE59C-9993-42DE-9138-F0D7DE4FE100.jpeg

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We survived the 50-mile Big Mo canoe trip with no injuries, no lost kids or gear, and no rattlesnakes. A couple kids tried to use a canoe paddle to whack a coyote swimming across the river--missed by about 3 feet. That probably wasn't Scout-authorized, but it was entertaining.

Anyway, here are a couple more action shots from last fall from other pack owners. The first is mulie quarter on a long pack out in ID. The second is a half WT doe here in ND; that kid also packed out a mulie in ID but didn't get any pictures.

ID-2019b.JPG.
ZD-2019b.JPG