Unit 78 Colorado rifle bear.

swampokie

WKR
I have a sept rifle tag for unit 78 bear. I’m pretty familiar with this unit but wonder if anyone that has hunted this unit in the past mite have any suggestions on likely areas. I scouted the unit a couple weeks ago and found a lot of small acorns. I’m guessing the bear will be in them by sept 1. Most of the tanks are dry but did find a couple with water and a few bear tracks. Being a drought year I wonder if they may be in the aspens or on the edge of aspens and oak brush. I’m new to the spot and stalk bear game so any advice is appreciated. Pm would be great. Thanks

gumbl3

WKR
bear.jpg

Glassed this one in 78 last year in early September, maybe even last part of august. She was at ~7900' on a hillside that was mostly bare with some scrub oak

Last edited:
OP
S

swampokie

WKR
Beautiful color phase. Would love to find that one or one just like it! Thanks for sharing!

OP
S

swampokie

WKR
I got lucky and killed nice boar on opening evening. Only bear I saw and he came to water. Tons of chokecherries and acorns has em scattered not concentrated. Best bet is to talk to elk and deer hunters and get tips on sign and possible sightings. Theyre there but so are tons and tons of people.

tons of sign. Also saw tons and tons of people.