Just a quick "what do you use" thread.

WJS23

WKR
The last last bear I shot with that 45/70 my ears rang for 3 days so the next time I will have hearing protection on

I use my 358 win. I've killed em' dead with my 06' and 12 ga over bait.

I ve chased wounded bears shot with a 270, 7 mm mag and 44 mag. Long chases with recovery dogs. All ended up dead and in the back trucks after hours of tracking.

I know a couple of things based on my limited experiences black bear hunting.

The med velocity rifle kill bears stone dead. Ie the 30-30, 35, 358, 30-06 and 308 to mention a few. They all start out at 30 cal or bigger with most having a decent amount of metplat. I think these bullets lend them selves well to dumping energy into the bear quickly without excessive velocities causing flesh wound or causing poorly constructed bullets to expolde at baiting ranges. (270,7 mag) both bullets exploded on the bears deflating only one lung. Both of those where horrible recoveries and thank God for tracking dogs.

Problem with a 44 revolver I seen is the bullets are either to soft or way to hard. The one I saw fail was a poor shot with an overrated hard cast bullet.

I have seen 12 ga with 1 oz plain slugs dump them right at the barrel.

I think the trick is putting a big enough bullet at moderate velocities right into the boiler room.

I know that sounds obvious, but it works.

Just my 2 cents, but I really like .35 cal cartridges for bear😉

what was shot placement on these wounded bears? We have shot several with a 270, 130 interlock, loaded fast, with good exits with behind the shoulder shots. about 50yds

and yes .35 is an awesome caliber

what was shot placement on these wounded bears? We have shot several with a 270, 130 interlock, loaded fast, with good exits with behind the shoulder shots. about 50yds

and yes .35 is an awesome caliber

Yeah, 7 mm was a plastic tip front side of shoulder. Bad shot guy got in a hurry. Then was mad that his rifle didn't penetrate. Lol 40 yard shot with a 140 gr sst. Lol

270 was the same deal. Shoot tring for a head shot cause he was scared made a poor hit. I won't go I to details on this one, but the bear was recovered next day single shot at 2 yards with a 41 mag.

Takes all kinds.

Your right if you put it through the ribs = dead bear. Interloks are good bullets. I use them in my 358 regularly.