2018 Bear Success Thread

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
With fall bear season kicking off, I thought it would be fun to have a thread for all of our bear kills.

Post up your success photos from this year's bear hunts! I'll get it started.

Idaho Spring bear, baited, archery.

Justin-Kill_Moment-crop.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

fatbacks

WKR
Drew a fairly coveted sheep tag. After a week of crap weather I was settling in to shoot a marginal ram at 400 yds. All of a sudden this guy appears and tried to eat the ram. Shot the bear - he saved me from cutting the tag and I’ll be back hunting sheep next week. Shot with 6.5 CM. Did the job but I’d prefer a larger caliber if targeting large grizz.

5bca40c91e00407378ece1631099cab4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Drew a fairly coveted sheep tag. After a week of crap weather I was settling in to shoot a marginal ram at 400 yds. All of a sudden this guy appears and tried to eat the ram. Shot the bear - he saved me from cutting the tag and I’ll be back hunting sheep next week. Shot with 6.5 CM. Did the job but I’d prefer a larger caliber if targeting large grizz.

5bca40c91e00407378ece1631099cab4.jpg

You deserve a big ram for helping the whole mountain. Nice work man!

fatbacks

WKR
You deserve a big ram for helping the whole mountain. Nice work man!

Thanks and I hope so! Hunted DCUA for a week so far and been shut down most of the time by weather. The whole grizzly almost eating a legal ram right out from under you experience will make it ok if I don't cut my tag this year. Have about 3-4 days left to hunt - fingers crossed!

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ive been taking my kiddo into the wilderness every chance I get and we finally connected on one. Talk about a rough pack out with both of them.

Congratulations, that’s awesome! Did you actually carry both your son and the bear? That’s hero status right there.

We’ve been committed to hunting as a family since our daughter was born almost 2 years ago. It is so much more work, but also so rewarding.

Felix40

WKR
Congratulations, that’s awesome! Did you actually carry both your son and the bear? That’s hero status right there.

We’ve been committed to hunting as a family since our daughter was born almost 2 years ago. It is so much more work, but also so rewarding.

Yeah I carried them both. Strapped the bear to the pack and put the boy on my shoulders. He did climb one of the steeper hills on the way out because I fell down and couldnt make it without using my hands. It was only 2.5 miles or so but in fairly rough country. To make things worse, I left my kifaru at home because I didnt think I would need it and its easier to carry him with a regular backpack on.

It has cost me quite a few animals but it makes it easier on his mom when I take him. Plus its good for him to be out and about.