Post-kill, pre-taxidermist hide care?

WTFJohn

WKR
I filled my tag Saturday morning 11am, skinned and quartered by 3; hide draped in the shade near a creek (daytime high 75ish) until final pack out and loading into 120 qt cooler (7:30pm last night), surrounded by ice but raised off the bottom of the cooler so as not to soak. I’ve also been keeping it drained regularly. Hide is in a game bag, head is out. Is this the right way to go now that I am home until CPW pulls a tooth tomorrow and I take it to the taxidermist? Should I transfer the head/hide to my deep freezer for the next 12 hours? I’ve got the meat taken care of; but I’d like to make sure I do justice to the beautiful hide. Any tips or insight is greatly appreciated.

Mark

WKR
Freeze it or lay it out flat and salt it. If you have the freezer space that's the easiest way to go.

JP100

WKR
If you have the space freeze it ASAP.
Skulls dont matter.

Alot of work in salting a hide properly(only done one bear and it was a bitch!).

Id just double/triple bag it and freeze it. simple.

OP
W

WTFJohn

WKR
Thanks for the replies; got it checked in to CPW this morning and at the taxidermist an hour ago. No slipping or other issues with it, he said it was one of the better hides they have had come in so far this season.