Bear #1

BCSteel

FNG
I started hunting spring of 2017 looking for a bear, only saw 2. Fall rolled around and only saw one but managed to get my first deer and spend 40+ days out in the field learning. Spring of 2018 I saw 11 bears, mostly sows with cubs but no shooters. Still nice to finally start seeing target animals.

Last week of September, 2018 is booked off and my dad is coming out for the first annual Bears, Birds and Berries hunt. The focus is pretty self explanatory black bear, grouse and wild blueberries.

A colder and earlier start to fall really hurt the berries and I came back empty handed. Fortunately the grouse were on point and we had fresh bush chicken every day for lunch and/or dinner. Even managed my first ptarmigan.

The first 3 days we saw no big game at all, nothing. Day four the weather got cold and half rain half snow for the next 3 days. And the animals began to show. Big bull moose, moose cows with calves, mule deer, whitetail deer and getting serenaded by elk in the evening made for good days afield.

Day 6, our last full day before my dad has to head home. His back is really acting up so we decided to take it easy, cruise some back roads looking for grouse and if a whitetail wanted to make it easy, we'd take that option. Just after 2pm we crest a hill and both see a bear on an old logging block eating berries. We watch him for a few minutes, decide on the best way to get close and try to seal the deal. We drive up to within about 500 yards, I get out and close some distance on the road and head up the hillside. He's only about 200 yards up the hill but out of sight. I work my way up towards where I think he is when I see an old deactivated logging road. I'm sure that he's on it. Then I see him. It's the biggest bear on earth. I wait for him to turn broadside at less than 40 yards. One shot and I see him drop out of sight on the old road above me. Rack another round and listen. After about a minute of nothing I edge up and see him about 5 yards from where he was, struggling a little. One more through the vitals to finish it and it's done. Bear down.

The next 3 hours consist of me saying, "I just killed a f*@king bear" over and over while skinning and quartering the bear.

It was a great week even before the bear but now with a freezer full of meat and a sweet hide in to get tanned makes it almost unreal.
1438865812eee35c5ab5d3b11eadfee4.jpg
051615fba33c27e051af08120bd353e9.jpg
79ebfaa56b3289b9f79bea48c84069a6.jpg
13676a441a56cd94df4371237ab55745.jpg
fbc9ceb2999ca486adbb9b91a227e275.jpg
17b18df9523f13ba25e8b7037e6b8c09.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Congrats man I’m hoping to get one here in a couple weeks. I may have missed it up what kinda rifle you using?

OP
BCSteel

BCSteel

FNG
Congrats man I’m hoping to get one here in a couple weeks. I may have missed it up what kinda rifle you using?
Savage Light weight hunter, .243. It's was my back up gun on this trip. I was having accuracy issues with my .270 but the Savage came through for me.

Good luck on your upcoming hunt.

Very well played. Time spent with your Dad is PRICELESS! Never miss an op with him, period. CONGRATS on a really fine bear and a great hunt overall.