Cold bears!

I plan on going on my first solo backpack bear hunt in December in the Trinity Alps if it doesn't get snowed in. The temps at night up there should not get much colder than about 25 at night and I don't plan on camping any further from my truck than about 3 miles. So what if I kill a bear at dusk? Should I leave the hyde on the meat (after gutting) & drag him back to camp till morning? Don't I have to worry about the meat freezing in those temps? I was thinking that if I had to, I could skin and bone him out, pack him back to my truck in the dark, maybe wrap him in an old sleeping bag and go get the rest of my stuff. And what about the hyde? Would it freeze overnight in those temps? What if it did? I plan on having a rug made. If it froze and then thawed would that hurt my rug? I appreciate any advice anyone may have.

tdhanses

WKR
Personally I don’t know the answer but I would be worried that the fat and hide would hold the heat in. I would skin and quarter it out.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have killed bears up there just at night fall and left them whole on several occasions. At 25 degrees, they won’t freeze. They will be a little more difficult to deal with, but you should be fine.

Also, depending on what part of the Trinity Alps you are at, the bears may be gone.

OP
B
I have killed bears up there just at night fall and left them whole on several occasions. At 25 degrees, they won’t freeze. They will be a little more difficult to deal with, but you should be fine.

Also, depending on what part of the Trinity Alps you are at, the bears may be gone.

Ya this is the only hunt I was able to do this year if it seems silly. I was planning on camping at tangle blue lake because I read it was a good place at least for earlier in the season. Thinking maybe lower elevation? I won't ask for your favorite spots but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I personally wouldn’t hunt into the Trinity wilderness. The bears will be lower in elevation. I would hunt mendo county in the 3500-5000’ range north of lake pilsburry to Anthony peak.

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
Are Bears out in December?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes they are, but definitely headed towards dens as their bellies fill and cold sets in . We use to find them end of season 12/15ish with hounds. But, the occurrences were less. We mainly hunted Stanislaus, Tuolumne Forest areas. Kern County as well, so they may be out longer than up in the Cold Country. Bears are hyperphagic right now, they frequent the foothills in their last days before winter. Find food sources like acorns, Toyon and look for fresh scat and tracks. If it snows, you may be able to track it to its den. The biggest bear we caught on the ground was in an oak woodland at the edge of the mountain. Around late November. Magically, we had treed a lion an hour before catching that bear.