9MM ammo for bears defense?

jmden

WKR
No experience with the Lehigh that Tyler recommended but I've heard good things about it. Buffalo Bore Hardcast gets my vote. This one came out of an attacking brown bear on Kodiak. Same bullet design, just an extra mm.

B3qJZii.jpg

Umm....story? I'm sure Ryan won't mind. :)

MHWASH

WKR
Based of of Phil Shoemakers experience, I use the Buffalo Bore in my Shield and G19.
Works on grouse too.

Attachments

• E8B609BE-5249-4EFB-83E1-8864E1038336.jpg
    E8B609BE-5249-4EFB-83E1-8864E1038336.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 343

junior

WKR
I run a G29 but im of the opinion that a well placed 9mm is enough to do the job. Cody Rich talked about making his own bear load for 10mm I havent seen anything from him yet but Id like to see more options out there

aktroller

FNG
Appreciate this thread, as I have been on the fence about carrying my 9. Now I just have to find some of the Buffalo Bore ammo.

If anyone has 33 minutes, this doctor conducted research regarding gunshot wounds in people:
YouTube

This is an amazing analysis of what really happens in tissue. My take away was that if you are using a pistol, you have to hit the nervous system to "take them down". So that the head or spinal region is where you should aim. Just something to think about when you are considering self defense from an animal that is running towards you. This seems to support the idea behind hardcast bullets.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
^ I guess I just assumed they killed it with a rifle. Good on the 10mm Auto!

If we're talking about the same incident the victim gave an interview below, sounds like the bear took two rifle rounds while actively mauling him and was then notably wounded and left him, another person ran up to the victim and dumped a bunch of 10mm rounds into the bear to ensure it was done/dead and not going to come back. That's my recollection of listening the other day: The Hunting Collective : EP. 42: A Bear Attack on Afognak Island

dla

WKR
Not looking for a debate. I am going to carry a compact 9MM for all of my scouting next year, moving from a Glock 29. It's in Grizz country. Those that know, what say you?
I understand - I used to carry a 45acp thinking it was adequate.
About a decade ago I made the choice to start carrying a 329 44 mag. The 44 mag has a great track record.
What happened is I got up close to bears and wolves which made my 45 seem very inadequate.
I certainly would never recommend anyone carrying a sub-compact (i.e. 3" barrel) 9mm for bear protection. I know what Phil Shoemaker did, and I think somebody is going to get killed emptying their S&W Shield into an angry sow grizzly.
Fun thread to read.

I understand - I used to carry a 45acp thinking it was adequate.
About a decade ago I made the choice to start carrying a 329 44 mag. The 44 mag has a great track record.
What happened is I got up close to bears and wolves which made my 45 seem very inadequate.
I certainly would never recommend anyone carrying a sub-compact (i.e. 3" barrel) 9mm for bear protection. I know what Phil Shoemaker did, and I think somebody is going to get killed emptying their S&W Shield into an angry sow grizzly.
Fun thread to read.

I carry my shield 9 in fringe griz country and a G40 in more densely populated areas. I can shoot it quickly and accurately so feel just fine about it. I’ll take a bunch of well place buffalo bore 9mm+p over a couple shots from a 44.

*zap*

WKR
You will want the best +P or +P+ round that you can find, very good weapon manipulation skills under extreme stress and need to be excellent at extreme accuracy while shooting at a moving target while possibly moving yourself and under extreme stress.

It would not hurt to shoot some IDPA matches with the rig you will keep the glock in when your hunting.

Large magazine capacity also.....:cool:

Rich M

WKR
Whatever makes you most comfortable.

I think what most folks are forgetting is how fast these things move. Grizz can cover 50 yards in 3 seconds according to US F&W. Maybe if it is charging form 100 yards, you might have time to empty a magazine, otherwise, I'm guessing that you'll get 1 shot, maybe 2 if the stars align. Not something I plan on finding out. LOL!

Buffalo bore cast bullets are as tough as commercially available bullets come. Best bet.

I know a guy from Alaska - was asking him about bear spray - he said he and all the locals he knew carried .44 cal or larger revolvers. No to bear spray.

Felix40

WKR
Having shot a handful of elk and deer with a .40 and a 9mm all I know is that hollow points are garbage. I started carrying a magazine with fmj in it and so far they have all produced 1 shot kills. I cant imagine a bear skull being that much thicker than a bull elk.

I know what Phil Shoemaker did, and I think somebody is going to get killed emptying their S&W Shield into an angry sow grizzly.
Fun thread to read.

Problem is, you could insert ANY caliber into that sentence. If you don't take out the computer or wiring, you are at a minimum getting chewed on. Just use good bullets, and practice.

*zap*

WKR
Just having a handgun will not keep you safe.....you need to be able to operate it correctly under stress. Many folks panic (buck fever) if they see a game animal at 100 yards.