Cali bear rookie seeking advice

Well let's put it this way. If I am out right after first or fresh snow and I find tracks. Don't need a dog to track down the bear that made them. Be prepared to go a long way and mark your truck on your GPS. Once I get my nose to the ground following tracks, might be a few miles before I really take a look as to where I am.

Second, with snow on the ground the bears have to use more energy to stay warm, and they have to waist energy to move the snow out of the way to eat. So this means they need to eat more and be up on the move more.

O ya and a black bear does kinda stand out in the snow.

Last thing is most people here in Comifornia won't go hunt when the snow hits. BOOM, the woods are basically empty.

Another thing too is that if it's a great acorn year you'll find bears at lower elevations eating on acorns good advice by fire arrow.
At least in my neck of the woods you'll see bears at lower elevations due to avoiding weather and more feed (acorns) but this year will be interesting it was a decent acorn year around here but we haven't had any weather

Was out a few days back. Can still find a lot of acorns on the ground, but the scat is deffinatly not manzanita berries or grass. I'm voting they are still mowing up what ever acorns they can find. Still seeing stumps turned over and busted up too. If you get a chance to watch a bear play soccer with a stump, wait on dropping the hammer. It's funny as hell. Good luck everyone, keep the wind in your face.

OP
S
All good info, please keep it coming if you actually find an area they're feeding in. When we were up around Grouse Ridge the country was awesome, and there was some older sign, but nothing that fresh. On the drive in, just before parking, we saw the only bear of the 4 day trip. Probably around 6000' elevation. There was snow up at 7000-7500', but didn't see a single track in it.

When we moved to the Euchre bar area we found a ton of acorns, but again, only old sign. The bush was so thick it was impossible to glass, so we just had to still hunt our way around.

Unfortunately I live 4.5 hours away, so I can't really explore between outings. I'm definitely going to try for another weekend or two though!

JNDEER

WKR
This has been the worse year for bear sightings for me in 5 years. The acorns are EVERYWHERE and that may be the problem.

I'm heading out this weekend to lower elevation...will report on what i see. Hunting D4-5.

dang...we need to hook up sooner or later, I am heading out tommorow for 3 days with my bro. I got to fill that tag before I switch gears to pigs.

good luck in the D's, I will be in the B's, lol.

Last edited:

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
So here is my dilema. I have a hall pass over Thanksgiving week. Thursday - Sunday Do I hunt bears here in CA or drive north and bowhunt blacktails in southern oregon during the rut. Hey I never said it was a bad dilema.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
So here is my dilema. I have a hall pass over Thanksgiving week. Thursday - Sunday Do I hunt bears here in CA or drive north and bowhunt blacktails in southern oregon during the rut. Hey I never said it was a bad dilema.
Private property? Is the Oregon hunt a hunt you can do yearly? Even if I hunted bears, that's a no brainer for me anyways, not a lot of opportunity to hunt the rut if your from Cali. Bear can wait till next year!

Craig4791

WKR

Been wanting to do that for a couple years now but something else always gets in the way!

Maybe next year

I hunted this morning at the 3-4K mark and it was silly with bear sign...all fresh, course in the cover we hunted, you could shoot 60 yards at best. No bears spotted, but a great place to head back to soon.