Cali bear rookie seeking advice

Well it looks like an attempted road trip for third season Elk in Colorado is changing to a California bear hunt. Bottom line, only have 4 days (8-11 Nov) and the combination of a 16 hour drive and no time to scout makes the out of state elk venture difficult. That being said, we're excited to get after some bears, especially after seeing BigsurArcher's trip report.

We live on the central coast, so looking at the Shasta area or the Sierras, hopefully something within 6-8 hrs to maximize time in the woods. We're ready to backpack in and spend the 4 days in the field, so hope to get away from potential crowds.

If anyone can provide a nudge in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated! We're leaning towards Coffee creek, north of Trinity Lake, but would like to talk with someone who's been there. Just moved here in June, so it's been a rush to learn hunting areas.

Thanks!

BigSurArcher

Banned
I did a backpack hunt out of Coffee Creek for 4 days during archery deer season. Only saw 2 small bears. I believe that area gets hit very hard.

As for the one I killed, I found a "good" looking area via Google Earth in the Tahoe NF close to I80, went there for the first time, and stalked 3 big bears over the course of 24 hours. Two were 700 yards off the road, the other was less than a couple miles.

OP
S
Much appreciated! I've seen so much info on coffee creek I figured it may be heavily pressured.

I made it up to Tahoe in the summer and that stretch along I80 that borders the NF looked like some great terrain. I'll see what I can find on google earth.

Thanks again.

kickemall

WKR
This time of year Ca. bears are all about acorns. I believe that the time your going to be hunting most of deer season will be closed so pressure should be minimal. I know that acorns hit in lots of areas this year but don't know weather they did in Coffee Crk. but I suspect they did in places around Weaverville as its lower elevation If an area isn't holding feed (acorns) its going to have very few bears. I know they hit good along Hwy. 36 west of Red Bluff in the lower elevations, 2500 to 4500, some places a little higher. I'd recommend trying to find an area that has lots of white oaks and isn't solid brush. I wish I could give you some more specific areas but I haven't been away from the coast much and its mostly private this way. I know the Covelo area (Mendocino National Forest) has a lot of feed this year, mostly lower elevations. I can't say it enough, find acorns and you'll find bear. Good luck.

OP
S
This time of year Ca. bears are all about acorns. I know the Covelo area (Mendocino National Forest) has a lot of feed this year, mostly lower elevations. I can't say it enough, find acorns and you'll find bear. Good luck.

I had no idea about the acorns, thanks!

After the above posts, looks like Tahoe National Forest may be a solid bet. Last time I was there in August the fires were going wild, so not sure how that impacts things (if at all).

I'll look into the other areas you mentioned as well, we'll be happy to just get out and hunt some new terrain!

Thanks for the tips.

BigSurArcher

Banned
The Acorn tip above is spot on. I took this photo a couple weeks ago while deer hunting. Ended up seeing 6 bears in 2 days... all were eating acorns.

IMG_0167_zps5cbfa44f.jpg

I hunted high in the Sierra's the past two weekends and only saw one bear, which was feeding on a dead deer.

I am no bear expert. But, I agree with the bears are mowing up acorns, and tearing up stumps right now. You can't put all your effert into one area. Bears are on the move right now, unlike when the berries are in season. So go to high vantage points and glass. It's getting cold now so set up to glass areas that get first sun for the warmth, but still have cover and feed. The bears will be cruzin most of the day, with power naps in between. Look for fresh scat when moving from one area to the next.

OP
S
Sitting on a ridge near Emigrant gap and haven't found a single bear. Spent Friday and Saturday around Grouse ridge, saw one small bear on the drive in but then nothing between three of us over 2 straight days. Shot in the dark, but anyone have some advice on where to head? Neither place has held any acorns unfortunately. We were thinking perhaps towards Truckee, but not sure if it's smart to hit higher elevation as there is snow around 7000'. Beautiful country, just need to find where the bears are!

kickemall

WKR
I saw in another post about acorns around Forest Hill which isn't far from you and hopefully someone whos been in the area will post some help. Good luck.

OP
S
I saw in another post about acorns around Forest Hill which isn't far from you and hopefully someone whos been in the area will post some help. Good luck.

Awesome, thanks for that. We only have tomorrow morning left, so Forest Hill is as good a bet as any!

Appreciate it!!

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
Scream, I was up there on Halloween morning for deer, and saw a TON of bear tracks. I don't hunt bear so I don't mind saying exactly where. I hunted the Mumford Bar trail down to the River. There was snow up there so it was easy to see tracks, lots of acorns on the ground. But take a friend and a good pack cuz the trail is brutal if you get something down. Good luck.

I hunt past Foresthill and yes there are a ton of acorns on the ground, but no bear sightings. If you like to sit and glass this is not the area for you, unless you hunt the burn area. But there is NO FEED any where around the burn. Should be good next year. It is all about slow rolling the area. I have been going up to different areas and have not seen a single bear. I have seen some sign, not real fresh though. I would really consider waiting for snow to hit the ground again before you headed out.

OP
S
I hunt past Foresthill and yes there are a ton of acorns on the ground, but no bear sightings. If you like to sit and glass this is not the area for you, unless you hunt the burn area. But there is NO FEED any where around the burn. Should be good next year. It is all about slow rolling the area. I have been going up to different areas and have not seen a single bear. I have seen some sign, not real fresh though. I would really consider waiting for snow to hit the ground again before you headed out.

Thanks for the info. We ended up around Euchre bar this morning and only saw old sign, although there were quite a few acorns. Definitely tough to glass with the thick timber, so we ended up doing a lot of walking.

Hope to head out for two more weekends, sounds smart to wait for the snow.

OP
S
Brand new bear hunter here. What about the snow makes bear hunting better? Is it easier spot sign? Do they move around more? Both?

I'm wondering the same thing, although I'm guessing it's just easier to spot sign. I wonder if the snow pushes the bears to lower elevation though? Back home when the snow flies they straight up hibernate, but from what I've researched it sounds like only approximately 30% of bears in that area sleep through the winter.