NY Bear... Catskills Area

ledflight

WKR
Hi folks - trying to find out if the bears in the Catskills region have denned up for the winter yet.
Any reliable info or timing? Been a mix of temps here. Some 20 degree days, but then warming again. Might hit 50 and rainy. Will that bring them out?
thanks for any tips or references.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
OK, thanks. Just gotta check for sign I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Would they be more likely to be out with later warmer weather?

Still moving around a bit south of there in the New Paltz area. Fresh sign and a couple of trail cam pics this past week.

Trial153

WKR
Seen a few killed in my area during the early season, nothing to write home about. I have two on my trail cams fairly regularly the last month or so. One is decent.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Have seen very little sign where I hunt. The creek has been dry on the land I have access to. Was thinking to try some scent luring out before gun season opens but not sure they are in the area.

Temps have nothing to do with hibernation, if there are still food sources around they will still be up and at em until food sources dry up...bears are known to stay awake all winter near the cities here, in the mountains is a whole other story though.

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
Seems like there was an abundance of acorns this year with plenty still on the ground so I guess that could mean they're still active. 2 weeks left to find one...

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
When I was last up I found old scat on the road, probably from when my buddy spotted a bear on his cam, the night after he put out fresh compost in his garden. So the scat was ~1 week old and that was a few weeks ago. Haven't been to that spot since.
That was in the rut so I mostly aimed for the deer as they were moving. Good time but no success.
I have considered a scent lure as per the NY legal regs.

Trial153

WKR
This snow will get them denned up big time, its pretty close when most are denned up anyway and with 2 feet plus in most of the catskills they will be going in.
Pictures are pretty well dried up as well

OP
ledflight

ledflight

WKR
I am stuck out on Long Island these days of lockdown and we've had some severe windstorms. I am wondering about the fallen trees on the bear hunting land I have been to - I would imagine that bears would use the underside as dens in the winter.

Would they also sleep in them during the seasons? Might these be spots to look for bears going to or coming from?
To be clear, not planning on taking them while in the den, just thinking about places to spot them.

Last edited:

Jmp209

FNG
I am stuck out on Long Island these days of lockdown and we've had some severe windstorms. I am wondering about the fallen trees on the bear hunting land I have been to - I would imagine that bears would use the underside as dens in the winter.

Would they also sleep in them during the seasons? Might these be spots to look for bears going to or coming from?
To be clear, not planning on taking them while in the den, just thinking about places to spot them.

A lot of the bears we see are in super thick, brushy areas with lots of tree tops or new growth. They are good spots to find bears in general but you probably won't find any particular pattern for recurring use.