Grand Prairie black bear

ozyclint

WKR
looks like i will be hunting with a friend this august/september for black bear around the grand prairie area.
any tips for finding bears spot and stalk with a recurve bow in that area?

i have experience working in a spring bear hunting camp in BC but didn't get the opportunity to hunt them myself at the time.

my friend tells me we will focus on fringe country bordering farmland where bears come to feed on pasture.
just after any tips that will be useful for hunting that area at that time.

tater

WKR
Grande Prairie, beautiful NW Alberta in smokey Western Canada...

Things have cooled down considerably in the last couple of days, and there has been some precipitation with more in store.
Should have some perfect conditions for spot and stalk bears, depending on available food sources.

You flingin' arrows out of a Kimber recurve this trip?

OP
ozyclint

ozyclint

WKR
Sorry, is there more than one grand prairie?

It's grand prairie Alberta where I'll be.

Thanks for the info tater. I'm shooting a 58# border black Douglas. Magnus1 and Simmons treeshark broadheads, depending on what floats my boat at the moment of truth.

tater

WKR
Nice rig you are packing there.

Good luck. You are in for what is arguably the most fun you can have hunting with a bow.

micus

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been to GP in a long time, there are good Saskatoon berries up there though. Usually still some on the bush late Aug, id lurking those pretty hard. Tuff to beat berry fed bear meat!

I’m in Grande Prairie now working. We’re south west ( Hwy 666 ), and we’re seeing quite a few bears. Both grizzly and black and at all times of the day. They’re out grazing clover on the pipeline rite-a-ways. If you spend the time you will see bears, some big ones.

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
Like Mike said I would be glassing pipelines & cut blocks. Id focus either south of GP or try north of GP along the Peace.
I have a cabin NW of GP, ill be there in 2 weeks for Elk & Moose. Goodluck

This fella came out to visit us yesterday, 50 yards from where we were working. Equipment running, lots of noice, 3 in the afternoon.
32d2cee9453f7c747a36ae88287e826f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk