2018 California Rifle blacktail hunt

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys so my dad and I have done a lot of out of state hunting but have never done much big game hunting in California. We just started going up to trinity a couple years ago and hunted granite peak area, we hunted some clear cuts and I harvested a so so bear 2 seasons back and my dad missed a nice buck. We are wanting to try and hunt some different areas this year and any information would be much appreciated. Please help point us in the right direction for B zone, we were thinking coffee creek but I heard it gets hammered so please help me out. We are also thinking of hunting Jackson State Forest in A zone near fort Bragg.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest you hunt deep into the wilderness areas. Coffee Creek does get hammered because it produces bucks.

If you want to avoid the mass hunters, go the second weekend. 90+% of CA hunters hunt the opening weekend and then they are done.

530Chukar

WKR
The trinities are the closest thing you’ll get to out of state hunting in California. Crowding is a major issue the first week. I’d stick to the trinities but just go the second half of the season. B zone is a mess. After the first weekend the alps are going to be less crowded then all the roads and most other areas.

I’d also delete the part in your original post about where you’re hunting unless you want another 20 people in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtnman84

Lil-Rokslider
That area you were hunting is a decent area. I just did a hike through the trinity alps and started in coffee creek and hike out another trailhead in 4 days we covered around 50 miles. There wasn’t an area we hiked through that we didn’t see deer tracks in. That doesn’t mean there were a ton of deer. There is a lot of thick country and the bucks can be pretty pocketed in there. I’ve chatted with Doug and his buddies in there just haven’t had any time to get back in there with all the out of state hunts. Maybe next season good luck awesome country in there

Oregon

WKR
Even the locals in Ft Bragg don’t hunt the Jackson state forest.
I found out the hard way. Dusty, dry, other crops getting grown and deer rare as unicorns.
So much of desert it’s hard to even find quail.

OP
C

cambo0420

Lil-Rokslider
Just scouted Jackson state forest didn't see 1 deer. Saw some hog sign though

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck up there!
I was at the coffee creek area a few weeks ago. I am a new hunter so can't really comment. I didn't get very far in either. The area is nice, but was pretty crowded. I didn't see any other hikers on the trail, but lots of people in the campgrounds and decent amount of traffic on coffee creek road.

I am hoping to spend a few days in the Marbles next week to scout and was planning on backpacking in and hunting opening weekend. Some of these comments are making me consider changing plans to the following week.

goph707

FNG
Hey guys so my dad and I have done a lot of out of state hunting but have never done much big game hunting in California. We just started going up to trinity a couple years ago and hunted granite peak area, we hunted some clear cuts and I harvested a so so bear 2 seasons back and my dad missed a nice buck. We are wanting to try and hunt some different areas this year and any information would be much appreciated. Please help point us in the right direction for B zone, we were thinking coffee creek but I heard it gets hammered so please help me out. We are also thinking of hunting Jackson State Forest in A zone near fort Bragg.

Where you are hunting isn't bad, literally everyone knows about Granite peak. From my experience Canyon Creek and Coffee creek seem to be the most popular. I concur with what everyone says here after the 2nd week it is dead. I wont be Bow hunting my normal spot this year because I will be in CO. So PM me I might be able to help you out.

goph707

FNG
Good luck up there!
I was at the coffee creek area a few weeks ago. I am a new hunter so can't really comment. I didn't get very far in either. The area is nice, but was pretty crowded. I didn't see any other hikers on the trail, but lots of people in the campgrounds and decent amount of traffic on coffee creek road.

I am hoping to spend a few days in the Marbles next week to scout and was planning on backpacking in and hunting opening weekend. Some of these comments are making me consider changing plans to the following week.

Be prepared to see a lot of bears in the Marbles. I've stalked some monsters in there during Bow season! In 2016 we saw 16 bears in 2 days...