4:00am we leave for the secret spot...

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My son and I are leaving tomorrow morning for our first back-country wilderness bowhunt together. Needless to say, I am extremely excited and happy for this 8 day blacktail hunt. We had gone through some difficult times beginning when he was about 16, not uncommon for a teenager. Not easy.

However, he grew up a little bit and learned a few things and things improved a lot. He also told me early this year he wanted to go hunting. We have been training hard since April and our backpacks are dialed in.

I hope all the bowhunters in Cali are gonna have great hunts this season. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Will post a hunt update when we return.

daddie63

WKR
Awesome. Best of luck but more importantly some great time with your boy. Sounds like he will appreciate it now especially.

OP
SoCalHunter

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What an adventure we had together! We didn't connect with a buck but we did connect with each other in a way that would never have been possible if not for the outdoors and hunting. Difficult conditions bring out the worst or the best in people. We took care of each other in a way that leaves no doubt that it was all more than worth it.

Conditions in much of the B's are pretty tough to say the least. The lack of water is very significant. Carrying enough water to get to the next fillup was only possible from certain TH's into our spots so for any planning to go make sure you account for this. The bears are incredibly thick in the YB wilderness so do not forego a bear tag if you enjoy hunting them. We saw at least 2-3 bears every day and all were healthy with nice coats for late summer. Definitely well fed.

The smoke from the fires reduces your ability to use your spotting scope at any range. I relied almost exclusively on the 10x42's. 4+ pounds less would have been good. Also, the forest floor does not get any crunchier than it is right now. The heavy boots really were a detriment this trip.

We saw a few decent shooters but could never get in on them. My son loved stalking and attempting to sneak in so he is pretty much hooked now. A beautiful 4x4! was taken by a 63 year-old bow hunter nearby which was supposedly a real beauty so I am hoping some pics will get posted so we can see him in velvet.

I will try and get a couple pics up soon. I hope everyone has as good a time this season as I have so far. There is plenty of time left and we are already planning a couple more outings this year. Peace.

Last edited:

OFFHNTN

WKR
Congrats to you and your son! What you experienced together is far more important than tagging a buck!!!