Trinity Alps Deer Hunting

270Hunter

FNG
Hey guys, so this is my second year back pack hunting for black tail. Last year I was hunting in the C Zones, and now this year I am in the B Zones. With school and work I was only able to take one scouting trip this summer and in two days I saw two does. I have really concentrated my online scouting and research on the Trinity Alps, so I was just wondering if anybody had any tips or advice for getting these elusive bucks. Thanks in advance I really do appreciate it.

Are you hunting areas popular with backpackers and day hikers? Try to look for places that are overlooked by most people, the uglier the better I think. Are there burns in the area you’re hunting? Did you see much sign in the places you scouted?

OP
270Hunter

270Hunter

FNG
Well the new place I want to check out looks really steep and brushy but there is no burns in it, however I still feel like it will hold some more deer. But, I also feel like it is a popular trailhead for recreationalists, but I plan to walk on the trail for about three miles then go cross country about two miles, to try to get away from the crowds. Which I had to do last year in C zone. But the place I went on my first and only scouting trip so far I didn't see as much deer sign as I expected to and I saw a lot of boot tracks.

530Chukar

WKR
Hate to say it but there isn’t much cross countrying in the trinity alps, especially if it is brushy. Online scouting can be very deceiving when it comes to jownsyeep Nd thick some of the stuff is out there. You’re going to see a ton of hunters on opener just about wherever you re in the alps, especially with the SPI and FS closures all over b zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can go nuts hunting hard and not seeing anything there. but they are there. you really have to hunt slower and more diligently than any other deer species. move..stop...glass...glass...glasss....move....stop...glass glass glass...then glass some more. find a spot you can watch...then watch and watch and watch. Until we get weather you really need to think about where they are going for water in morning and evening but dont dismiss that mid day drink they have to get. a lot of blacktails are killed at 11:00 am when they go fro a drink....move slow...stop ...glass...glasss...glass.
you can hike through an area and think there are no deer around...the truth is they just got out of your way all sneaky ghost like.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I was up in the Alps last week and we only saw one buck in 2 days of hunting. We were 3 miles in.