Kodiak update from anyone?

I’m headed to kodiak in 2 weeks, just thought I would check and see if anyone’s been and cares to share some hunting reports to help me pass the time.

I think the winter was mild, how are the deer looking this year?

redbarn

FNG
I’m headed to kodiak in 2 weeks, just thought I would check and see if anyone’s been and cares to share some hunting reports to help me pass the time.

I think the winter was mild, how are the deer looking this year?

Scheduled to start a boat hunt this Saturday in Olga Bay. Will be coming out the 13th and can post an update.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We took our daughter and hunted with some friends for a week in August. Hunting was hampered some by stormy weather (nothing unusual in kodiak) but 4 hunters managed to fill 8 tags. We could have kept going, but it was going to cost us another flight so we showed restraint.

tibIDo9.jpg

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Scheduled to start a boat hunt this Saturday in Olga Bay. Will be coming out the 13th and can post an update.

Mind saying who you're going with for a transporter?

I'm excited for you guys, this will be a hunt of a lifetime

OP
B
We took our daughter and hunted with some friends for a week in August. Hunting was hampered some by stormy weather (nothing unusual in kodiak) but 4 hunters managed to fill 8 tags. We could have kept going, but it was going to cost us another flight so we showed restraint.

tibIDo9.jpg

Very cool - Are the deer populations looking good this year from what you could tell?

LOTS of deer in Olga when I was down in that area in February. Up high, in the alders, on the beach. Everywhere.

BRWNBR

WKR
Headed down on the 23rd for a month of deer hunting. Temps appear to be starting to cool off a bit. Getting a lot of rain lately. Hoping for some breaks in the weather next month. Good luck to everyone who’s headed down. Or up.

redbarn

FNG
Headed down on the 23rd for a month of deer hunting. Temps appear to be starting to cool off a bit. Getting a lot of rain lately. Hoping for some breaks in the weather next month. Good luck to everyone who’s headed down. Or up.

Plenty of deer around Olga Bay. Lots of bucks. Mature bucks were up high. South side of island has had mild winters for many years. People seeing 10 to 20 deer a day.

Bears were out. Hunters saw them every day but no stories, which is good.

Homer Ocean Charters (Outer Limits) runs a great boat operation. Great food and well run ship. Very strict on transporter only rules. My second trip with them and hope to go back again. $4K trip, 3 deer limit, includes Andrew's Air Beaver charter in and out.

weatherbow21

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of deer around Olga Bay. Lots of bucks. Mature bucks were up high. South side of island has had mild winters for many years. People seeing 10 to 20 deer a day.

Bears were out. Hunters saw them every day but no stories, which is good.

Homer Ocean Charters (Outer Limits) runs a great boat operation. Great food and well run ship. Very strict on transporter only rules. My second trip with them and hope to go back again. $4K trip, 3 deer limit, includes Andrew's Air Beaver charter in and out.
I talked to a guy at the Kodiak airport on our way back from our hunt last year that hunted with homer ocean charters and they hunted Olga bay, he claimed they would see over 200 deer a day... 20-30 sounds a lot more like it