Blacktails with BRWNBR

Blacktails with BRWNBR

I have been looking forward to this hunt for the past 3 years. My dad had been talking about doing a mule deer hunt the last few years and i bourght it up to him to come with and he agreed. My dad and I havent hunted much together besides whitetail in wisconsin so when he booked it was on.

Oct 21st came and it was go time. Bags packed and we headed to o'hare. Flights were hit and miss. We bareley made our connection in Anchorage to make our flight to Kodiak. Finally after 10 hrs we made it to our hotel a few days prior to Jake meeting us before our flight to hunt.

We just walked around kodiak the next few day taking it all in wating for Jake to make it to the island.

On the a.m of the 24th Jake messaged me that he was on the island. Anticipations were high. It was finally fly out day. I really cant decribe what i felt. It would be my father and i's first out of state hunt togerher.

Jake picked us up at the hotel and it was go time. Jake took us around the road system showing us all the sights. His boy Hunter was with us which made the hunt even more special. After showing us aroud all the sights we started heading towards the float plane base. We headed up a hill when a beauty of a fox crossed the road. I mentioned to Jake that i would really love to harvest a fox on Kodik. Jake stopped the truck and said "ok". Thinking he was joking. Looking over at him he just said "well are you going or what?". You bet i said and after a little stalk the first harvest of the hunt was done.

After we got to Adrews air we skinnded the fox and prepared for departue. This was my father and I's fist float flight. It was fantastic to say the least.

We landed and set up camp late afternoon and prepared for the first day of hunting in the a.m.

The next morning we woke and Jake made us a fantasic breakfast with coffee. No mountain house on this trip.

We headed out in the morning with low expectations due to wet weather. We made our way to our first glassing spot where we would spend on hour or two finding mostly beeded deer. After a few hours Jake said "Decent buck". Looking though his swaro spotter i told him thats a buck i wouldnt mind taking for my first. The stalk was on. We made our way through some grass and alders until we got close enough to the buck. We ranged him at 190 yds and my first buck was down with 1 shot. He was a beautiful buck to me. We quickly buchered and skinned him and away we went back to camp. I wanted to carry the deer back. Its all part of the hunt to me to be able to carry what i harvest.

Once arrivg in camp we layed the meat out and Jake started caping the head. Jake made us a fanrastic dinner that night. We just finished eating and heard a bear woofing outide the tent. Little did we know that would be the start of a bear ordeal for the week. We came out the tent and the bear was in the alders behind the tent. Trying to spook him we let a few shots of bird shot fly. Not at the bear just trying to spook it off. The bear ran off but unfortunately for us it was after eating most of our meat. We put the rest of the meat back under the tarp on the brush hoping it would leave it alone.

The next morning we rose from an awesone warm tent camp to a great meal and warm coffee. After daylight we checked the rest of the meat. Unfortunately if was all gone from the bear. We started off the next day with a steep climb up a hill behing camp. A little backgroung on my dad. This was his first true back country hunt. Im pround he made it up the hill. It was steep and wet. He took many breaks and Jake and Hunter were great making sure to go at his pace! We made it up the hill and found a spot to start glassing. He was up today for the first buck. We glassed alot finding a stud of a buck on the peaks but my dad just couldnt make the climb. We saw about 20-30 deer before finding a buck that was stalkable for him. Jake and my dad made their way down to the bottom as me and Hunter wached from up high. We watched as the buck fought with another before pusing a doe into some alders. We continued to watch the stalk thinking it was over but they pushed on. Finally we saw the buck and doe come into an opeing in between two fingers of alders. We watched as they got into posittion. Glassing we saw the deer crumble before hearing the shot. It was an awesome experience seeing his first deer blacktail fall. Hunter and I made our way over to them. Once we got to them We found out the buck was much better than we had tought. His first deer was on the ground.

Packing the deer out we figured there was pleanty of time to keep glassing. We came to another spot and found several bucks. We found the big buck again from the A.M. He qas bedded up the mountain at about 1900 ft. I really wanted the buck and after watching him for an hour Jake made a plan. I would go up solo and get into position for a shot. The stalk was on. Listening to Jake's advice i made my way up. At points it was tough and steep. Harder clumbing than my goat hunt the previous year but man i wanted him. Finaly i made my way up. Crawling on hands and knees the last several yards i finally spotted him again.

Getting into position i ranged him a 325. Put my gun up and looked at him in my scope. He was now standing broadside looking at me. I didnt have much time. I put the cross hairs on his vitals and squeezed one off. "Click". Is what i heard. I never put a shell in the chamber. Quickly chamberibg a round i found the buck in my scope again. He was facing the other way and started a slow walk. It was now or never. Squeezing the trigger the gun went off. I saw the buck run, not knowing if he was hit or not. I chabered another. Finding him in my scope i watched him tumble. My second buck was down.

Man walking up on him was awesome. We watched him all day and i wanted him bad. He was now mine. Sitting up where he lie was amazing and beautiful. Jake told me if i killed him to try to drag him down to a point to skin / butcher but when i moved him he just tumbled. As i watched him fall i just hoped and prayed that he woundnt break. Luckily he didnt when i found him.

Hunter came up to help me drag and man am i thankful for that. Our second buck of the day was down. Jake and I skinned and deboned all meat and we headed for camp. I was proud of my dad for carrying some of his buck knowing it was tough for him but with two bucks down there was no choice.

We made or way back to camp and had a fantastic meal before my dad said he heard something outside the tent. Heading out we where met with a sow and cub feeding on our hard earned deer meat. Nothing we did could deter them. It was now theirs. Unfortunantly we had to watch as they got a full belly.

The next day we rose again. A great breakfast and hot coffee with 1 tag to go. My dad was up. I decided to take everything from his pack to make it easier for him. He climber the hill like a champ. He told Jake "im not picky today lets get it done". We started glassing at our fist spot but nothing worth shooting. making our way to the next spot a nice fork appeared on the ridge above, but no shot. As we moved on to our next spot and started glassing we found several other small bucks. Like i said my dad wasnt beeing picky knowing he may not want to climb many more days. Jake found a beaded wide forky 500 yds below. Jake sent my dad and i down for some bonding and the stalk was on. We got within 200 yds but no matter how hard i tried he just couldnt find the buck. Jake and Hunter had been watching from above. They made their way down to us to help out. Jake got my Dad finally on the buck as he moved up the hill and he made a perfect shot. Our last buck of the trip was down.

Packing that buck out was bitter sweet. We did what we came to do, but our hunt was over with the best people i have had the privilege to hunt with. We packed out and got the meat situated, but unfortunate for us the bears just wanted it also.

As the float plane flew us out the following day it was full of amzing views. Once arriving back at the hotel we reflected back on a dream hunt for both of us. Several years of planning and preparing had paid off. We hunted with great people that worked their butts off ensuring we had a fantastic experience. It was amazing in every way. I couldnt ask for a better hunt with better people.

With that said i plan to hunt deer with Jake again in 2020 or 2021 and looking for a second. If any other roksliders want an amazing hunt with one of the most genuine hard worker I have met connect with Jake Jefferson.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Nickziegler
Kodiak 2018
1b48c69c9fb76f71a77d971359d7b56d.jpg
1c1fff6df39482c715dd7dcaad4dec3d.jpg
fac9168ad8276a7bf1d2169c689f0de3.jpg
b6d5a42b0f0181192a00fbd0d6ee2302.jpg
3e76deb4719bb22c773a3681fc308525.jpg
b00ae411762c480f06f37553ff3c154a.jpg
98c82b1d172b2262abe09a4451650f51.jpg
66ed469bf8d2c10fa587a50420bb151c.jpg

Great pics and write up! I can't wait to hunt Kodiak, sorry about your meat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to share it. Congrats to you and your dad.
I have plans to bowhunt for a goat and deer with Jake on kodiak in 2020. Hopefully I draw the tag.

daddie63

WKR
Awesome story and pics. What great memories. Damn shame about the meat though. Wonder if a bear fence around the meat cache would do the trick?

OP
Nickziegler
Thanks everyone. Here is a few more pictures from the trip.

And sorry Jake for getting the spelling wrong in the title "BRWNBR"
ae24b2c64f492defa0dc08d6304a8c63.jpg
f5ef91193b55121632af2d07fa61874f.jpg
c316d830844b5d65fc900f48dec94a28.jpg

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Will Jake still be guiding? I think his wife just passed away and he has quite a few kids. Terrible thing. Feel bad for his loss.

OP
Nickziegler
Will Jake still be guiding? I think his wife just passed away and he has quite a few kids. Terrible thing. Feel bad for his loss.

Right now he is in the process of sending back deposits to clients. I hope one day soon he starts back up. And when he does ill be blacktail hunting with him again

Broomd

WKR
What a wonderful write-up and hunt.
And once again we see the professionalism of Jake, second to none.
God bless the man and his family.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with story and pics, NZ!

Trial153

WKR
Jake and his family take priority over any hunt. I have a goat and deer bowhunt in the books with him. I totally undertand. And when and if he gets up and running again i will book another hunt with him.