Off Season Scouting for Blacktail in SW Oregon

DBAshland

FNG
New to hunting and want to prepare over the next year for a blacktail hunt in SW Oregon. Realizing that the deer move up/down as seasons change, and food availability will vary with season, what are your guys' thoughts on how to start scouting in off season? My approach so far has just been to get out in the woods and pay attention to tracks, droppings, seeing deer, etc...I'm NOT asking for suggestions on any specific areas, but would appreciate any suggestions on a general approach. Thanks in advance!

Find a likely spot (where trails meet, bedding area, funnel/pinch points) set up a camera or two. Repeat...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Get out in the summer and find the places where they travel from north side to south side to food and bedding. Find the chutes and note the biggest tracks you find. I got a big big blacktail this year within 1/4 mile of where I found the biggest tracks all summer crossing a wilderness trail. The trails are great, but the deer and elk will move parallel to the hiking trails. Get off trail to find the game trails and start dropping way points. Blacktail are very ritualistic. They don'y have a large range like mule deer.

Get out this time of year of with a shed dog and you'll learn a lot about the bucks in the area. Blacktails tend to be so nocturnal that sheds can be really enlightening. Dido on the trail cameras. In August, you might have some success glassing logging cuts that are 2-7 years old for bachelor groups of bucks. Pay attention to spray regimes on the clearcuts. If they get sprayed with herbicide that summer, I'd focus my attention somewhere else. Since blacktails have such small home ranges, they'll be close by come fall, just a lot less active during daylight hours.

AdamRappe

FNG
Pay close attention to game trails. Assuming you'll be hiking on a logging road. Try and hike the game trails into the timber where many trails meet and get away from the gravel road as good as you can. Find where a few trails meet and throw up a trail camera or two along with some cut up apples. I have had my best luck in finding new areas by just hiking in the thickest stuff for a while then randomly stumbling upon a small open area inside the timber and throwing up a camera. Best of luck!