California Hunters? Where you at?

desertcj

WKR
I'm in Oakland. I backpack hunt B-zones and do mixed private and public hunts in A and D3-5. There's actually quite a bit of public land in A-zone--it's just miserably hot and usually pretty crowded. Working on an urban/suburban recurve deer hunt in the middle of the Bay Area right now. It feels kinda weird, but still an interesting opportunity. When you live in the city, sometimes you have to think outside the box to maximize hunting opportunity, especially in California.

That's funny but true. I've seen a bunch of Elk right outside of San Jose!

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
Incredibly useful information, thank you amassi.

You said he "was" a member of Wilderness Unlimited. Why did he leave? Do you have any idea how much that costs per year?

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the ranch and what you get.
Trespass access for archery deer only can be pretty reasonable(less than gas to drive to Colorado and back)
Access to the same ranch for both deer seasons, pig hunting, Turkey hunting, dove hunting can be 5 times that.

Contrary to popular belief, you can still get permission to hunt private property in California especially if your an archery hunter. No one asks anymore

Another option, one of my coworkers was a member of wilderness unlimited and he knew how to use the ranches and consistently killed 2 bucks, a bear and a pig every year so for him it was worth it. A lot of their properties are in A zones so no problem getting tags and start hunting in July

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Do you have any leads on a deer/pig lease? Preferably A zone

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Magalia here, just a little above Paradise. Normally do the G1, and D3-5 thing. Future all copper hunter...lol
Mike

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Wow really, about how much money would it cost on average to hunt a lease for deer in A zone? Over $1k per year? Over $5k per year?

mireland62887, how was your four day hunt? What did you see?

As a group (four of us hunting), we saw a handful of bucks, but none while in our stands. We saw them all while moving to or from our stands. My buddy got a cool video of two fishers from his stand. That was neat to see. I had no idea they were around those parts. Neat little critters.

Will have to look harder next year. Our area is currently in the middle of the fires in Lake County.

Lafayette here. Always get 2 A-Zone Tags. Filled one tag on third day of archery. Saving other for the last two weeks of season! Good luck to all this season and be safe!!
FCA5A1F4-8F82-4DCC-BA53-C0E592AF598B.jpg

Attachments

• 197151C1-0E0E-4D90-8E38-F4D448CEAA1E.jpg
    197151C1-0E0E-4D90-8E38-F4D448CEAA1E.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 140

NoBadP17

FNG
Keeping this thread alive! Vacaville, went for my first deer hunt end of September in the trinities. Beautiful country. Saw 4 quail and a bunch of chipmunks and 0 deer. There were more deer laughing at us on the way in and out than on the mountain.

I guess I should clarify I’m a total rookie when it comes to big game, so any help would be appreciated!!

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day in D5. My boy had an either sex tag (J-16 I think?) and we found this lil' fella first thing in the morning.

View attachment 80984

What a difference a year makes. He's growing like a weed. This was last years D3 either sex tag.

View attachment 80985

****Not sure why, but I was only able to load low res photos....these were taken with a phone!!! How can a medium file be "too big."

New here, grew up in Redding, I’ve been in Santa Rosa for almost 20 years now.

Always hunted B, I’ve bought a couple of A tags trying to hunt a little closer to home. But unless I gain access to some property around here I think I’m headed further north than usual. I’m looking forward to strapping in a pack and getting into the backcountry.

BigRig

FNG
Hello, from NorCal... Gotta keep this thread going!

I have lived all my life in the Redding area... My wife and I hunt the wilderness areas in the B zone and an occasional C or X tag.

jfs82

WKR
New here and just as new to hunting. I'm in Belmont down on the peninsula so A zone is closest but there's nowhere too close to me, planning on d3-5 because at least there I have an idea of where to go.

FI460

FNG
Been lurking for a while and finally joined. I lived in B6 for 25 years, currently living in Southern Oregon, but I'm considering packing into the Marbles this year.

I’m in the East Bay, looking for folks who might want to team up on some high Sierra scouting and hunts. Posting on this forum knowing CA hunters might linger here. I don’t know any hunters who like back country hunting in CA. I hunt with a bow and rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Susanville here. Czone has always provided plenty of opportunities for me. Starting to look into the D and B zones. Good to see this many California hunters posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk